Headaches whilst working out

The_Chief

Reaction score
Recently i ramped up my weightlifting routine from 3 days a week to 5 days with my current 6 days a week cardio and ive noticed im getting pretty painful headaches whenever i workout in the back of my skull. Anyone else experience this? I think it may be because my traps and neck are strained but if anyone else has experienced this feel free to leave any advice.

The_Chief

Reaction score
I'm unqualified to advise but if I experienced similar symptoms I'd first check that I was properly hydrated.
thanks for the tip, that's what I thought it was at first but it doesn't seem to disappear .

Chelonian

Reaction score
...that's what I thought it was at first but it doesn't seem to disappear .
If it were me my next (equally unqualified) move would be to revert to my previous regime of weightlifting on three days and see what happens.

Here's a well known orthopaedic surgeon 'joke' to illustrate the basic principle:

Patient: "Doctor, my knee hurts when I bend it."
Doctor: "Stop bending your knee. Next!"

The_Chief

Reaction score
If it were me my next (equally unqualified) move would be to revert to my previous regime of weightlifting on three days and see what happens.

Here's a well known orthopaedic surgeon 'joke' to illustrate the basic principle:

Patient: "Doctor, my knee hurts when I bend it."
Doctor: "Stop bending your knee. Next!"
*text deleted*
Thanks, I think ill try to spend extra time stretching that area and if it still persists ill probably just go back to what I was doing.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I think ill try to spend extra time stretching that area and if it still persists ill probably just go back to what I was doing.
If I hit a training snag (and I hit many because I'm aged sixty and slowly falling apart) I dial back to when I didn't have the snag and take it from there.

arg647

Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is lowering the weight and checking your form. Often I've went up in weight and my form has went wonky which in turn can lead to injury and pain. Cut the training down a bit and see if it persists. It could also be something simple like too much volume in your programme.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, unless underweight (<65kgs), muscle mass is not that important, or certainly not as important as CV fitness.

Contrary to popular belief Royal Marines are quite different to the US Marines in this respect, certainly during training. You need to be able to run at about a 7 min/mile and bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, press-ups) are far more beneficial. BMI should hover around 25, max ideally.

Yes, it's a good idea to build thighs & shoulders for load carrying over distance, but unlike USMC, for instance, you need to cover ground efficiently rather than be helicoptered in to the action as a mahoosive scary bloke carrying excessive muscle mass with a bmi 28+.

The_Chief

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, unless underweight (<65kgs), muscle mass is not that important, or certainly not as important as CV fitness.

Contrary to popular belief Royal Marines are quite different to the US Marines in this respect, certainly during training. You need to be able to run at about a 7 min/mile and bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, press-ups) are far more beneficial. BMI should hover around 25, max ideally.

Yes, it's a good idea to build thighs & shoulders for load carrying over distance, but unlike USMC, for instance, you need to cover ground efficiently rather than be helicoptered in to the action as a mahoosive scary bloke carrying excessive muscle mass with a bmi 28+.
I'm just barely 65kg so I've been trying to put on some muscle all over just to help things out . Cardio has always been my forte so I'm trying to not lean to heavily on being a thin sprinter but rather well rounded.

B

Blackers

Might be a blood pressure thing if you get headaches when smashing phys?