Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

heat and running

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by hcjlevitt, Aug 12, 2015.

1. hcjlevitt

hcjlevitt New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I live in the middle of the desert and the coldest it gets in the summer is around 40c. It takes me around 10 mins to do 1.5 miles in this heat and is almost impossible to do 3 miles in under 24 minutes. How much difference does this kind of heat make to running times?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Some rather topical safety guidance on this subject here.

As an aside, those who are tropically acclimatised are much more susceptible to cold-weather injury in Recruit Training

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Also a booklet for those running group activities:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. aussie_blue

aussie_blue New Member

I was in a similar boat, lived in Brisbane, Australia and spent the tropical summer preparing for prmc. Peaked at around a tropical 40, high humidity and dripping with sweat before I started training.

Keep your fluids up and try to keep cool. If you have shade somewhere for recovery that will help as well.

And come to the UK early, depending on the time of year you want to do your prmc. A month was good for me for an april prmc. For November on I would give it 2 months.

My times were a little faster when I came to colder climate, but not more than 20 seconds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fully agree, for overseas applicants who are living in a hotter climate than UK, acclimatisation is viatal - it's the difference between success and failure.

The longer you can afford to acclimatise, the better your chances of achieving your goal, regardless of fitness.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    HI,

In a similar situation, I am training in Thailand at the moment, very humid here and hot. I'm not sure whether it is cold in the mornings or early evenings in the desert where you are but those are the times I have been running e.g. I get up at 6am do a run before muay thai or circuits session and do a quick run in the early evening ,7ish when it is cool. I also recommend getting electrolyte sachets to mix in your water whilst you are training, its just basically salt and potassium powder with some glucose in too. They are really cheap out here however if your on a budget or they are not available, eat a banana pwo and put a lot of salt on your food after that should restore salt loss from excess sweating due to the heat.

7. hcjlevitt

hcjlevitt New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Sachets sound good, would probably be helpfull, but i live in the empty quarter where in the summer, the coldest it gets is around 40c whatever time of the day it is, i do try running in the evenings because it saves my around 5c.

• Like Like x 1
  8. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

I run sub 9 returns in 40 degrees mate, same time as in the cold just got to learn to cope with it :)

9. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Definitely try get to the UK as long as you can before training to let your body adjust man
    The cold was the biggest shock going into training especially about 5 days at a time in freezing tempretures, all your uniform, boots and everything wet to the bone and your only escape an hour or 2 in your sleeping bag at night at best (you sleep in dry clothes). Big change from the heat haha.

10. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

@"Crikey mate" aha that is the most Australian profile ive ever seen! good stuff