jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a run,
was supposed to be 4 miles,
but I only ran 2 of them.

It's been like this the past couple of weeks,
sometimes, not all, but sometimes I go for a run,
and after a couple of miles my shins begin to hurt and my legs feel really heavy,
and I can't run anymore,
it's as if I have shin splints but it doesn't always affect me,
and my thighs feel really heavy too.

So after two miles I stopped and started walking,
then remembered an article I read about barefoot running being a good way to run without picking up injuries,
so I took my running shoes and socks off,
and did about half a mile barefoot,
felt pretty good,
other than the fact the bottom of my feet hurt as it was a bit gravelly around there,
got some dodgy looks while doing it,
but then I put my shoes back on and walked the rest,

Any tips on how to sort out my on and off shin splints and my legs getting heavy,
and anyone else done barefoot running?

Joe

y3Lo

Reaction score
i put a link up about shin pains, try some of the exercises on there first.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When i run, i go runnin on grass with shosies on.

But when i do a circuit, i like to go on the runnin machine for ten minutes to warm up. I always do this barefoot. Firstly because ive heard its good for your feet and ankles. Secondly because the tredmill helps toughen my feet up. Don't think i'd do it in the wet grass though. I someties get the "heavy thigh" thing too. No idea how to help though. Sorry.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bu could all that padding jusweaken your ankles etc, and therefore be tougher on you in boots? Just a thought?

I would say buy some of those mega thin shoes, the shoes that are bassically running bare foote

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am kinda agreeing more with dodo on this one.

I've read a few articles stating that fancy padded shoes will be worse in the long run, and the best thing to do is run as close to barefoot as possible, if not barefoot.

Wasn't there a thread on this topic not long ago on this forum?

But then again, if we're going to have to get used to military boots, wouldn't it be better if we ran in heavier trainers, like cross country bad boys - or even boots?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I've got some £75 Mizuno's,
same as my old ones and they never gave me any problems,
and I did a half marathon in these without any problems so it isn't the shoes.

I see what you mean Peter but a few marathons have been completed barefoot,
and to be honest I was just looking for a way to keep running without *text deleted**text deleted*ing up my shins,
as I really need to improve on my running,
and set backs aren't ideal.

Yeah I might take up do the yomping idea,
toughen my feet up.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think running in barefeet is the stupidist fking thing ive heard in my entire life! Yeh maybe in Africa in the wilderness thats alright but we live in CONCRETED areas which when you take a step sends shocks up your legs because the surface area which your stepping on is very dense and solid.

When you run barefoot, you run different. You keep on your toes a lot more, and avoid the shock which comes with runnin with shoes. It's what we were made with, and is best suited to running.

Do you think the groud in Africa is padded cotton wool? Its mud, stones, dirt, sand. Its not smooth or soft at all.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
It sounds like it'd be difficult to get your feet to adjust.

I remember watching programs like 'Tribe'. People that spend their entire lives barefoot develop very tough feet. The soles are like leather.

I know with my luck I'd be three feet out of the door before running over broken glass, dog crap and a junkie's needle.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know with my luck I'd be three feet out of the door before running over broken glass, dog crap and a junkie's needle.

*text deleted*. Same. That's why i only do it indoors on the runnin machine. It isn't very practical, but it's still good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
keir8 Heavy legs Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 1
T Heavy Legs Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 10
A Heavy, tired legs! Common Training Injuries 9