Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Heavy Metal Head to Head

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by The Creature of the Night, Dec 20, 2018.

1. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all,

Was having a discussion with my mate, and he claims that ‘Metallica totally beat any metal band out there’. My opinion is that Iron Maiden and the king of the crop.

What’re your views ?
    Best wishes
    The Creature of the Night.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Personally I think miley Cyrus wins

3. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Metallica are probably the best all round "POP" metal band. It makes good entry level metal for the uninitiated.
    Calling Maiden metal doesn't really do them justice. They are a theatre performance of the highest calibre.

Personally I think Pantera are the best Metal band. They were very individual and had more groove. I suppose unlike Metallica they were not really Thrash Metal even if some of there songs on Cowboys from Hell like Shattered and The Art of Shredding pretty much are.
    While Kirk Hammet's style of playing has been emulated time after time and is core study for a budding metal lead guitarists, Dimebag Darrel's playing is very much more off the wall, while still being just as technical and at times melodic.
    While some Pantera is far to heavy for the uninitiated, I question anyone to deny that Cowboys From Hell or Cemetery Gates doesn't stand up to Metallica equivalents of Enter Sandman and Fade to Black.
    Iron Maiden on the other hand many people will say they are naff but if you put on Rock in Rio I guarantee they will be transfixed for the whole show. There riffs more than there solos are probably study of budding guitarists even though Maidens solos are probably the most musically diverse, they do after all appreciate dynamics more than Metallica or Pantera
    In all I would say that Iron Maiden hold the longevity. I don't really listen to Metallica and Pantera as much anymore, I'm 32 and most of that angst has gone out of me. Maiden however still tells stories.

Those who like Maiden should listen to DreamTheatres Scenes from a Memory - Metropolis Part 2. That Album is phenomenal both musically and technically and while the singing is a bit cheesy the musicianship is outstanding.

Furthermore Metal existed before these bands with Maiden being called The NewWaveOfBritishHeavyMetal and arguably the first wave with bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Ronnie James Dio's Rainbow being equally as good as any of the stuff in the 1980's.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Firedrake To be honest I didn't understand most of that but back in the day (before you were born) I travelled to see many, many live bands. Amazingly, my hearing survived.

I bought Paul Weller's dad a beer back in 1984, don't ya know. :) It's sad that many bands don't do live gigs anymore.

5. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It is sad. I work as a sound engineer at the moment and sadly it's cheaper for venues to book DJs who just carry a memory stick around rather than pay for a group of musicians who have to lug and maintain their gear. In Plymouth where I am it has a large student population but getting them to go to gigs is hard work unless it's a big name, which we don't get as we have one 300 capacity venue and one 3000 capacity. In The latter the acoustics are appalling and also with the lack of a local airport no band fancies it.
    Funny you mention Paul Weller's Dad I think he is his unnofficial Tour Manager.
    My mentor worked with Paul Weller as his engineer for a while. His Dad insisted that the speakers you find in the middle of the audience at large festivals had been turned off. When in fact they delay the sound so that the sound from the stage reaches the delay towers at the same time, which in turn helps create a cleaner sound. This gives the effect of them being tuned off but actually reinforces the sound from the stage. Anyway to cut a long story short and save the audio lecture PWs dad demanded that this delay was turned off so that he could hear the delay towers working causing it to sound poor at best....I guess he should have brought him a pint.

What was the best band you saw?
    I was fortunate enough to see Black Sabbath with Ozzy at Download 2005
    Absolutly Phenomenal.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

John Weller nearly always appeared on stage to announce the The Jam. Sadly he died in 2009.

Bands I've seen include: Elvis Costello, The Jam, AC/DC, Buzzcocks, Japan, Blondie, The Who, Dire Straits, Stiff Little Fingers and The Police which were supporting a band called Chelsea at Torquay!
    Lots of smaller bands too, most of which have vanished into obscurity. Gigs were advertised in the NME which anyone interested in music had to be seen carrying even if they didn't actually read it!
    Last saw Paul Weller at Plymouth earlier this year.

The Cornwall Coliseum, now demolished, was a fair venue back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

QSC, FBT or JBL? :)

8. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Honestly can't say as I have only heard JBL and they were good.
    I have more experience with Martin Audio and L'Acoustics.
    Yamaha CL5 is my favorite desk aside from a Midas but I'm not that fortunate.

Just keep all that Function One and Böse stuff away from me.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Eh? :confused:

10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Speakers! :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. The Creature of the Night

App Stage:
    TMU
    Class acts. What was Blondie like? Have always had a hankering after Debbie Harry.....

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A class act. I think it was her Heart of Glass tour. The Who was, unsurprisingly, good too. That was their Quadrophenia tour.

Funnily enough, back in the 1980s Gary Glitter's Leader of the Pack tours were top entertainment too. He was unfashionable even then but not as unfashionable as he is now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@The Creature of the Night It isn't heavy metal but Debbie Harry was (and still is) the real deal. From almost forty years ago:

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Went to see Gary Glitter in the 80s. Awesome; just before Christmas and full of people absolutely leathered and having a great time.

Best concert was Dave Lee Roth’s Skyscraper Tour in 88/89. Night before my Maths A Level which went down particularly well with my parents. Managed to scrape an E grade so all’s well that ends well-banghead-

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Just got blagged by my Grandson to go to Liverpool with him to see Bon Jovi next June. (Guess who's paying?) Also got to see the Stones and Tina Turner, both at Wembley stadium. Great gigs, each of them.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  16. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Not to derail the thread away from the heavy metal theme, but In terms of concerts live Coldplay are absolutely fantastic!! One of those rare bands which actually sound better live than on a studio album.

I also saw Guns n Roses at the NEC In Brum. They were fantastic too!! Although Axel Rose was a massive dick!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

You have to be the coolest grandad ever Royal!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I misread that, the first time around. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  19. The Creature of the Night

App Stage:
    TMU
    What a lush lady she is!
    I do like her song 'Atomic' though didn't realise she was such a stunner when she was young.

20. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    'Was having a discussion with my mate, and he claims that ‘Metallica totally beat any metal band out there’. My opinion is that Iron Maiden and the king of the crop'.

I've never been into Iron Maiden and am a massive Metallica fan, so it's definitely Metallica for me! Slipknot are pretty good live as were Static X, Rage against the Machine, System of a Down. Pantera and Linkin Park too (although not sure what genre you put Linkin Park in, as they crossover abit!)
    Love to listen to heavy metal loud , in the car, round the house, it blows away a few cobwebs!!

• Like Like x 1