height, weight, BMI

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
Im just asking about the minimum height and minimum weight. I think it is quite stupid to be honest because what if you are the minimum height (1.51cm) and the minimum weight (60kg) the BMI will be 25 (overweight) so how is the minimum weight so high and the minimum height so low?? this doesn't work out because apparently your BMI has to be between 18-24.

I am 169cm and i weigh 60-61kg in my clothes so i think i am going to be just under the minimum weight i think, but my BMI is 21 which is perfect, so if i'm a little bit under does it matter, because im not skinny either. I'm not worried about any of the fitness or anything about the application, I am only worried about this and need to find out if i have to put on weight.
I have been trying to but it just seems that it isn't changing at all, think it is because of all the training and CV.

is there any exceptions about the minimum weight??

smallzy

Reaction score
you just have to eat like a pig

throw in 5 or 6 steaks a day and you're on your way

RC

Reaction score
I don't think there are any exceptions, you have to be over 60kg.

I wouldn't worry too much though, you can easily gain a couple of kilo's in relatively short period off time if you focus your training and nutrition on doing so.

What have you been doing to try and gain weight so far ?

Rich.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
That doesnt work out the does it, because if someone is the minimum weight then they wont get in because they will be either too light or their BMI wil be to high :S

bt anyways basically i've cut down my cv, i've only been done between 1.5 - 3 miles 3 times this week when usually i would train 6 days a week and put some 6 mile runs in. I have been eating more, eating like an hour after i've trained so it doesn't just get burnt off.
You know just general things like that.
I did weigh myself 2 days ago and i weighed 62 at the gym, then the next day i weighed 59-60 :S - they were different scales so one could of been out a bit, well i hope so.

You know if you are under weight at the medical how low do you have to wait for another??

RC

Reaction score
That doesnt work out the does it, because if someone is the minimum weight then they wont get in because they will be either too light or their BMI wil be to high :S

bt anyways basically i've cut down my cv, i've only been done between 1.5 - 3 miles 3 times this week when usually i would train 6 days a week and put some 6 mile runs in. I have been eating more, eating like an hour after i've trained so it doesn't just get burnt off.
You know just general things like that.
I did weigh myself 2 days ago and i weighed 62 at the gym, then the next day i weighed 59-60 :S - they were different scales so one could of been out a bit, well i hope so.

You know if you are under weight at the medical how low do you have to wait for another??

I THINK there are exeption made for being overweight according to BMI, but not for the minimum height or weight. Many very fit athletes / sportmen (women) are well over a BMI of24 and would be perfectly suitable.

I'm just making assumptions so I'll let RMRO / Ninja confirm / disconfirm the above.

Ref training -

You're on the right track cutting back the cardio.

Are you lifting weights at the gym ?

Oh ... you should be eating within half an hour after training if possible.

Rich.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
oh right i got told to eat an hour after so it doesnt get burnt off, but ok.
Nope i dont lift weights i just do body weight exercises. I've thought about lifting them and taking protein shakes ect.. just to put on weight until im a decent weight not to worry about it.
You think i should do that??

RC

Reaction score
oh right i got told to eat an hour after so it doesnt get burnt off, but ok.
Nope i dont lift weights i just do body weight exercises. I've thought about lifting them and taking protein shakes ect.. just to put on weight until im a decent weight not to worry about it.
You think i should do that??

No, you need to feed your muscles as soon as possible after training for optimum recovery / mass building.

Yeah, I would consider lifting weights or adding resistance to your body weight exercises. Doing high rep sets of body weight exercises won't provide enough stimulus to build any significant amount of muscle.

I would consider taking a protein supplement also, particularly post workout.

If you do decide to lift weights, focus on compound exercises in the 8 - 12 rep range (possible upto 15 reps whilst learning the correct technique). Don't neglect your legs particularly as there is alot of potential to gain some mass.

Also, make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to show you the correct technique.

Rich.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ai, what I would say, 2/3 times a week, be doing the big compound movements, so bench press, dead lifts and squats, these big movements help to stimualte the growth hormone. Im pretty sure anwyay.

RC

Reaction score
Ai, what I would say, 2/3 times a week, be doing the big compound movements, so bench press, dead lifts and squats, these big movements help to stimualte the growth hormone. Im pretty sure anwyay.

Yeah squat and deadlifts are great for stimulating the release of GH and Testosterone but, they take time to learn the correct technique to be able to perform safely with heavy weights.

Rich.

Reaction score
Dan-Boxer, from the scores on your post, it looks like you are in good shape so I really would not worry about it too much. Ignore the BMI, it is not a very useful measure in my opinion.
If you want to put on a bit of weight, eat as much as you can. Cosider some protein shakes in the evening before you go to bed. The reason they have the minimum weight limit is because you need to be able to loose some weight in training due to the increased stress and physical activity. During the exercises you will have to carry a vast ammount of weight to test and develop your yomping ability, it helps to be of a reasonably heavy build to cope with this.
In my batch we had a Belizian lad who weighed about 60kg, he was tiny. He carried the same as the Brit lads on all the exercises and then had to re-take all of the Commando Tests but still got his green lid having passed in Officer times. He was impressive to say the least and had more mental strength than most.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I shouldn't worry too much about the BMI. It's only a general measure, it will not take into account bone density, muscle mass etc, I hear they will also test your body fat %, providing this is okay you should be fine.

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
The bmi is an appalling measure and takes no consideration of musculature and body physiology etc. As RM officer says many top athletes do not fall within 'healthy limits' I know in the gym i work at we avoid using it preferring hip/waist ratios as a health measure

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I am 169cm and i weigh 60-61kg in my clothes so i think i am going to be just under the minimum weight i think, but my BMI is 21 which is perfect, so if i'm a little bit under does it matter, because im not skinny either. I'm not worried about any of the fitness or anything about the application, I am only worried about this and need to find out if i have to put on weight.
I have been trying to but it just seems that it isn't changing at all, think it is because of all the training and CV.

is there any exceptions about the minimum weight??

Sad to say there are no waivers regarding minimum weight- you MUST weigh over 60Kg at the start of Recruit or Officer training, regardless of BMI. This takes into consideration your body weight will initially drop as you progress through training.

The minimum height is 151.5 cm regardless of weight. The minimum weight is 60Kg regardless of height.

It's all to do with your load carrying ability apparently, so unfortunately, rightly or wrongly- them's the rules.

Good luck to you.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How much weight, in general do you lose then? I heard that by the end of training they will have burnt a lot of fat off. Is this true?

Reaction score
Thats a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. It's completely dependent upon the individual. After my Commando course I was told I looked 'pukka ill' and that's before we even started the Commando Tests! You can guarantee you'll loose a few kilos though.

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys speakin of BMI i just enter my height into 2 intenet sites. im 5ft 10" and bout 13st 2lbs the 1st one says my bmi is 21 and is ideal for my size the other 1 say my bmi is 26. why have they both said different results wen the bmi chart should b the same?
chrz guys stewie

et-adams

Reaction score
There's nothing healthy about a 12kg foetus

Ninja Edit: True, but Perfectly fine if it's the all-up weight increase including body fluids, fat & 35 week infant though.

Having said that, it wouldn't be too healthy if it was a bloke carrying it, so your point taken.