Hello Everyone

TheGutsyOne

Reaction score
Hi guys my name is Adam Purcell
I'm 16 years old and from Dorset.

I study at brockenhurst college studying public services.

i joined this forum mainly because ive had a VERY close friend in the marines who died last year unfortunately in Iraq he was up for selection at the time.

I'm also here because I'm in a predicament

I have asthma.

Yep

automaticlly a lot of you will say turn back and never return

thing is hence my username im extremely determined full of guts and have been noticed by all my lecturers because of these things.

but here is when things get strange

i dont weeze through exercise
i only weeze through a chest infection/cough or dust if im healthy

anyway

cheers guys look forward to hearing your responses

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry to hear about your friend, i'm sure he died proud and honorably. And determination and guts are good!

I think if you don't suffer asthma anymore you can pass the medical. However, you say that dust makes you wheezy, i imagine there's a lot of dust and sand being kicked about by winds in Afghanistan. :O

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the site & sorry to hear about your friend.

As long as you are verified 4 years clear of the symptoms of & treatment for Asthma and pass the vitalograph at your medical, you meet the medical standards for entry in that particular category.

It is quite common for people who suffer from Childhood Asthma in their early years, to fully recover in later years - the upper age limit for Other Rank Royal Marines is 32. The important thing to remember is that tragically people can die of asthma, so the advice is not to stop carrying an inhaler unless advised it is safe to do so by a medical professional.