Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Hello from Ireland

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Tubsandtiles, Jun 4, 2010.

1. greenmarine24

greenmarine24 Member

Im from swords man up near the airport what about yourself?

How far along in the process are you?

2. Pete Meath

Pete Meath New Member

I'm a navan man myself so not too far away from you.

I'm not far into the process I'm still training at the moment. I was doing well with the running but got a weird injury in my feet about a month and a half ago so have been waiting for that to sort itself out. It was my first night back running last night and my fitness has gone downhill a bit.

Been up to the AFCO yet?

3. greenmarine24

greenmarine24 Member

No had a set back with regards eyesight requirments but got the all clear two weeks ago so stating back and nailing the training.*text deleted**text deleted** head up in bout a month or so.you been?

4. WTSB

WTSB Member

Any one from Munster? Training like hell at present. Cant wait for this application process to be over. Fully focused on getting that date for RT.

5. Tubsandtiles

Tubsandtiles New Member

Prmc

Well lads, Im from Clare,got my aptitude on the 28th of july in Palace Barracks, fair distance to travel but it will be worth it in the end hopefully, anyone else got theirs then ?.

6. joshbailey

joshbailey Member

anyone from stafford?

Contact AFCO - 10/5/10
    Psychometric test - 6/7/10 - Passed
    Medical - 15/7/10 - next week

7. seanmc

seanmc Member

where bouts in donegal u from? as i live there miself. r u any further on with your application?

8. conor.harbo

conor.harbo Member

Alright lads,

Joined the forum a week ago and have spent every day in work on it since...

Called the recruitment office in palace barracks there yesterday, looking to start the process.

Just curious as to what kind of training ye are doing for your PRMC? I noticed a lot of ye are big into football, ye must be fairly fit! Are you relying on your sport to carry you through or are you doing extra training like circuits every other day? How are you finding the aptitude tests and interviews?

Any info at all would be much appreciated!

9. st93

st93 Member

Alright mate, i play rugby myself but would definately advise adding in extra circuits and runs as well as just sport. as for the application process so far, despite everyone saying the tests are easy you must still ensure your fully prepared for each, i.e. revising corps knowledge for the interview etc.

10. conor.harbo

conor.harbo Member

Cheers for that!

I was looking at a few of the training circuits in the forums for getting prepared for the PRMC but I'm struggling to see where I can fit them in during the week... At the moment I'm at the end of preseason for rugby so we're training 3 times a week with matches on weekends coming up, hence the questions on just relying on sport! Is/was that your situation aswell?

Anyone in Dublin getting ready for their PRMC? Any chance I could jump in on some training sessions to see what kind of standard I'm at or need to attain...?

Cheers guys

11. greenmarine24

greenmarine24 Member

Anyone in Dublin getting ready for their PRMC? Any chance I could jump in on some training sessions to see what kind of standard I'm at or need to attain...?

Cheers guys[/QUOTE]

where abouts in dublin you based?im living in swords and train there and trininty college if your interested?

12. Jack 1

Jack 1 New Member

Hi all,Jayz I've been on this site over the last year or 2,still wrecking my head deciding whether to join or not.Did'nt know there was so many paddies here! Im from Dublin myself.

I'm in college doing a BA,I know I'd be better suited as an officer but cant due to nationality restrictions and my age-30.

Is it uncommon for people to join so late?...and if you have the aptitude is there any possibility of being commissioned later on in your career?

13. DizzyDingo1

DizzyDingo1 Valuable Contributor

I doubt it would be unheard of. There was a man from Westport that joined up when he was 30. He was killed in Afghanistan aged 32.(http://www.independent.ie/national-...le-giant-killed-in-taliban-blast-1551821.html RIP)

I think that you would still need British citizenship if you wanted to become an officer later on. Maybe one of the guys on this site can clarify whether or not you can get citizenship in return for serving, I really don't know.

14. Jack 1

Jack 1 New Member

Thanks for the reply,that was marine Robert "Frank" McKibbon from Mayo that was killed in Afghanistan.Small world that it is I know an inlaw of the deceased and to quote him"it's all he wanted to do all his life,ever since he played soldiers as a kid" RIP.

Anyway does anybody want to meet up around the Dublin area and do a few circuits?
    *text deleted** who here has gone or is going to PRMC?

As regards getting a comission you need a British passport to do so,but maybe after a few years it might be possible.Regards.

15. WTSB

WTSB Member

From Munster. Got RMAD ahead of me.

Best of luck in the process!

16. conor.harbo

conor.harbo Member

where abouts in dublin you based?im living in swords and train there and trininty college if your interested?[/QUOTE]

Im in rathmines, so trinity is no problem for me. Im not from Dublin so I'm not sure where swords is!

What days and times do you train? Defo interested in seeing whats involved in the pre-prmc training!

Strange thing, I called the Belfast Barracks and asked about being a Marines Officer (despite reading everywhere on this site that we cant be officers) and he said "yeah its possible" even though I told him I was irish and no dual citizenship. It caught me completely off guard. Maybe something got lost in translation... :confused:

17. gunnermoran

gunnermoran New Member

im from cork buddy. i was in palace barracks for my interview and medical on Sept 2nd aswell in the morning. i got my date for my RMAD this morning. Its the 27th Sept. How are you fixed for it?

18. Jack 1

Jack 1 New Member

Hi gunner,how's it going? Just wondering what do they ask you at the interview?Is it relaxed or very formal?Work history? etc...

So does anyone want to meetup and train around the Dublin area at all? Regards.

19. gunnermoran

gunnermoran New Member

Have you passed the psychometric test? If you have you should have been given a whole bunch of forms to fill out, one of them asks about your hobbys, past times, sports, the schools you attended and so on. This is what the majority of the interview is based around. What he did with me was he brought me into a tiny office and it was just me and him. he introduced himself, told me what he would cover and then he went into it. The things he asked me about were:

1. My family situation: How do you get on with your parents and siblings.
    2. He went into my educational and work background: How do you get on with teachers, what was your fav subject, did you represent your school in anything? What jobs did I work at and what was my responsibilities.
    3. He talked about the Irish Defence Forces Because im a Corporal in the Artillery Reserve
    4. What do you know about the Marines: List their 3 vessels? So your on the ship what 5 ways do you have in getting your troops onto shore? Whats the personal weapon of the RM? What heavy weapons do they have?
    5. Hows your training going? What fitness training are you doing? 6.My hobbies. I was in the scouts so he asked me about that. They asked me did i stay away from home before.
    7. name the happiest moment in your life? Name the sadiest moment in your life?

They just want to check that your not a mommys boy and you are a team player because the marines do everything together. You are advised to wear a suit and tie. Its a get to know you session but it is formal. They are not their to catch you out.

Let me know if theirs anything i missed out on.

20. greenmarine24

greenmarine24 Member

anyone from dublin who wants to meet up in trinity?i havent trained there in a few weeks but its central and quiete in the mornings.it would be good to get a gang together so we could crack on together motivation wise.im right at the start of the process, only handed in the app form last week.i could be in trinity for 7 in the morning if anyones interested?