Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Hello! - Help for ROP

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by ssc26, May 7, 2020.

1. ssc26

ssc26 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi guys, sorry it’s the first time I’ve posted but found this site really useful. I have done triage call so my next normal step would be the medical, PJFT then PRMC. I have been training solidly and my press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc are all sound for the PRMC but my running is still behind around 11:15 return road running on 1.5 and around 10.3 on Vo2. Is this something they would work on with my during ROP purely because I wouldn’t want to jack in my job, apartment etc only to fail it? I imagine that I could improve these results before ROP would start but it’s just nerve racking. Any help much appreciated and thanks for all the help from this forum so far!

2. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

I would advise against starting at CTCRM until you can crack a sub 10 minute return and over 11 on the bleep test as a minimum. Clearly the choice is yours, if you pass the vPJFT then you have achieved the criteria, but the phys at CTCRM has lads who can crack 8 minute returns and level 13 bleep tests in absolute termoil. You'll be in an even worse state if you join unfit and your current statistics reflect that your fitness is below the standard expected.

Don't take that as a knock, use it as motivation to push yourself even harder before you get to CTC.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  3. ssc26

ssc26 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the reply. I completely respect that and realistically I don’t think it should take long to hit those stats probably around 4/6 weeks more training then I can go in confident. I’m not far away from those results so just got to keep pushing

• Like Like x 1
  4. ssc26

ssc26 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey I’m not sure if you will get this but I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. I have been training solidly 6 days a week and now getting a 9:25 return and bleep up to 11.4 want to crack 9 minutes and 12 on the bleep before I start training though. I have passed my VPJFT and I am due to start my ROP September 14th subject to security clearance and face to face medical. Thanks again

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Word has it that only 40 out of the 80 who joined the first ROP passed, so for anyone out there thinking they can join and then wing it, forget it, you won't.

Do not even contemplate joining unless you can reach the above times quoted by @Advocado

Alan

• Like Like x 7
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Do you have anymore information regarding the pass rate?, was it a fail on just fitness or did some have to retake ROP or transferred to another service?

7. Unki

Unki Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    What does ROP stand for?

8. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Unki

Recruit Orientation Phase 4 weeks at the front end of training broken down as below:

It is very much 4 weeks plus 32 and not 36 weeks basic, The 4 weeks is split into 2 phases/troops.

Accommodated in Normandy Block (hence troop names for the history buffs)

week 1 & 2 - Howard - This will focus on basic administration of one,s self and kit and basis military structure. with a "golden strand" of fitness running through both phases.

weeks 3 & 4 - Lovat troop - This will continue with the above but focus will shift to weapon drills with SA80 so the guys are semi-proficient when they start training. Once again with phys being ramped up slightly.

At the end of the 4 weeks on the last Friday a CAA will take place - format to be fully confirmed but - 5 pull-ups, 11.1 bleep test (PRMC pass) , and minimums of around 30 plus on any gym exercise.

If the testing is failed they "may" get a re-run on Saturday dependant of standard displayed- if passed move forward if not Transfer "may" be offered or leave service.

Once more info (soon hopefully) is out, I will post this as open info to the lads, but the basic gist is it is a separate 4 weeks and not basic training and you are not in a troop until your start 32 weeks and the training emphasis is as above.!

As an add on the lads will wear a summer cap when in this phase so they don,t get jumped on..so maybe..Lumi nod will go as well? (luminous tabs are worn in induction)

This is all lead by a very, very experienced Captain (34 years in the Corps) who is very much with a new style of training and so are the TT,s who have been selected, some may not like it but I honestly think if they hold the standards for the actual 32 weeks I see no real downside.

• Like Like x 7
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 4
  9. Unki

Unki Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. So it's like a 4 week PRMC yes! It makes sense in that the attrition rate of troops should be less. Fewer chits etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The guide

A beat-up for PRMC levels if you will on the Phys front, mostly due to an issue with Sickle Cell and some other service recruits having issues - so assessing applicants at 100% of maximal fitness was curtailed - this also for a build-up period before the assessment period at the end of ROP , and as you rightly spotted it hopefully results in fewer chits being put in, for various reasons and less manpower wastage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Are those tests that are conducted on the last Friday similar to the prmc format (points based , grade A,B,C ) ?

Is 5 pull-ups the minimum that must be achieved? So if you maxed out everything else and achieved only 3 pull-ups would this be a fail?. PRMC was minimum 3 pull-ups so was just curious on this!?

12. The guide

Yes it is conducted on the last Friday, with 5 pull-ups as the minimum required as is 11.1 on the bleep test which is back to it,s old level from 10.5- as for the scoring system - not seen it.!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

No idea.

Alan

14. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for that guide.

I’m not someone who will be banging out a lot of pull-ups so was always planning on excelling in all the other departments as close to maximums as possible to get me there!
    Hopefully there will be a scoring system or what’s needed to be achieved on all the exercise requirements shown soon!

15. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you aim to get the maximum and train to get the max reps, you won't need to worry about points scored and so on, best not to think about 'minimums'. Train hard, keep chipping away at it and aim to achieve the max (60/85/16 press/sit/pull-ups), or as near to this as you can! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ty for that i have the mindset of doing the best I can I understand that.
    Some people just have different weaknesses and strengths , some can get 8.00 bft returns 13+ level bleep test but maybe struggle on the bodyweight tests but pass because their overall fitness is good or might not be the best runner but pass based on their bodyweight scores.
    You just get genetic machines or those who dig out blind and just scrape a pass.

Ive always looked at the score system used at PRMC not trying to ever scrape by it’s more of a learning tool to follow and base your over all scores on to see if you can achieve those scores required to achieve that pass.
    Very rare indeed that anyone can max out everything but as you said as long as you can get as near to those scores as possible you give yourself the best possible chance of passing!

• Like Like x 1
  17. thirdtry

thirdtry Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hopefully someone can confirm/deny the rumour a trained mate passed me; that the RMFA/CAA takes place in the afternoon after a bottom field determination session in the AM, which itself follows on immediately from the night in the field. So definitely aim above minimums to allow for the extra fatigue!

• Like Like x 1
  18. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

Ok lads not meaning to sound negative, just playing devils avocado here, but stop flapping. Why does it matter? Just take it as it comes, because that’s how it’s going to work in recruit training, you’re never going to know what’s going to happen next. If you really want to join the RM you will get through.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  19. Royal2010

Royal2010 Commando Training Wing Instructor

It is indeed summer caps and lumi tabs.

So far from what I have seen of ROP ( A few of my good mates are in the Chatham Coy TT) the attrition rate is about the same. Alot of potential recruits are falling by the wayside. Poor attitudes, poor Phys preparation.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that success in the CAA at the end of ROP won't cancel out consistent poor attitude detected over the four weeks.
    As in marriage; every day is a test.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1