Hello! - Help for ROP

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alot of potential recruits are falling by the wayside. Poor attitudes, poor Phys preparation.
Is it fair to say this was to be expected a bit? PRMC seemed to be a good way to sift out those with attitudes etc. Was 2013 when I did it but I remember some lads were failed and sent home on attitude at the time, where now the same people will be there for the 4 weeks whether they have the right attitude or not.

Apologies if I'm overstepping/overthinking by asking, getting close to finally rejoining has me quite RT (/ROP) obsessed again :eek:

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
Is it fair to say this was to be expected a bit? PRMC seemed to be a good way to sift out those with attitudes etc. Was 2013 when I did it but I remember some lads were failed and sent home on attitude at the time, where now the same people will be there for the 4 weeks whether they have the right attitude or not.

Apologies if I'm overstepping/overthinking by asking, getting close to finally rejoining has me quite RT (/ROP) obsessed again :eek:
I believe the potential recruits on ROP are able to leave at any point (don't quote me on this not 100%) so you still get quite a few leave.
It's an interesting concept and if managed correctly with the correct culture and mindset created then the ROP should be a success.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would guess that whilst there may be a reasonably high attrition rate on ROP, those who enter week 1 of RT would be more educated about what they are getting into, than they would otherwise have been through PRMC.

I can see how in theory it would lead to a more cohesive troop with less recruits leaving when allowed to do so, as those who find its not for them will already have been whittled down somewhat.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps I’m being naive but what’s meant by ‘poor attitude?’ Unwillingness? Poor discipline?

How can some go to CTC like that, it’s voluntary...???

Decapitari_G

Reaction score
I was on one of the last prmc’s before lockdown and passed. Was wondering if I can join one of the troops that have finished their ROP or wait until PRMC and RT is back? I’m starting to think that prmc and rt will be scrapped?
Does anyone know?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was on one of the last prmc’s before lockdown and passed. Was wondering if I can join one of the troops that have finished their ROP or wait until PRMC and RT is back? I’m starting to think that prmc and rt will be scrapped?
Does anyone know?
PRMC won't be coming back. If you want to join, you will be doing a ROP like everybody else regardless of your PRMC pass.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Its worth mentioning that the first exercise of RM training has been moved onto the ROP.

Everyone seems very focused on the physical aspects of the ROP, whilst I don't have the exact figures I would confidently say that more lads are failing the ROP for poor attitudes and voluntary withdrawals during the field exercise (ex FIRST STEP) than failing the physical criteria.

Recruits can leave the ROP at any time, and once they have requested that desire to leave, they cannot change their mind, they're gone.

Lads have earned their place on the ROP by doing minor bits of phys in the comfort of their own home. When you get to lympstone, expect to be very uncomfortable, particularly when in the field.

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I still have to pass my VPJFT and face to face medical before I do ROP but if I do pass these aspects I will obviously have to leave my current job to start ROP.
I realise turning up to training with a pre existing injury would be extremely foolish but I was just wondering if a recruit doing the ROP unfortunately gets a new injury (for example they break their arm or tear a muscle) do they get sent home, like a PRMC or would they go to hunter like someone in previous training would? Clearly unlike with the PRMC people will have left their previous jobs when starting ROP and in this current climate jobs in the civilian economy will be hard to come by. The only reason I ask is that lads who injure themselves on PRMC still have their old jobs to go back to, people starting ROP wont have this

Last edited:

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You would be fixed by the service - you are in and getting paid.!!,so Hunter , or home sick leave dependant on what the injury is and how ong it takes to heal/repair - unless future employment would cause further uses then NFA after any required rehab if appropriate.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps I’m being naive but what’s meant by ‘poor attitude?’ Unwillingness? Poor discipline?

You only have to read some of the posts on this forum that there are guys out there who believe that joining the Corps is all about phys. It's safe to say it isn't. It doesn't matter how many press ups, or sit ups you can bang out, nor how fast you can run a mile in, if you don't have the mental fortitude to withstand extremes of fatigue and discipline, then you will be weeded out.

I would take a guess and say that all the group chats that are set up prior to going to CTC are all about swapping stats on phys etc and not along the lines of ironing, hand washing, being told consistently what to do, being punished for the mistakes that others make and also coping with being cold, wet and hungry. Some people do need a reality check and from what I'm seeing, ROP is exactly that.

Maybe one of the guys that didn't make the cut will write a diary up, so that others can see what is required for this new innovation.

Alan

Unki

Reaction score
So do those who pass ROP move straight on to RT as a direct follow on, or are they sent away and given a future form up date as wss the xase with PRMC ?

Chelonian

Reaction score
ROP is effectively a four-week job interview during which one's true character will emerge and be scrutinised in a way not possible at PRMC.

An individual who is very physically capable but who, for example, consistently displays selfish and negative behaviour will be noticed by the TT. How critical such factors might be I can only speculate but it would be naive for anyone to assume they don't matter.

As mentioned by @Caversham hopefully an overview of the earliest ROPs will soon emerge.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

All branches are voluntary and youd be amazed. Many people go thinking they have good attitude to find out they are actually lazy and a terrible team player. Certaintly had it on my side and you will to. Youll start noticing it on block jobs really fast when you've got your hand in the toilet and the same "people" are either doing their lockers or always doing the easy stuff.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Edit on my last post above:

Reading from past/present Marines saying about how phys isn't the only thing thatll see you through. For me it was about 30% of the battle the fitness side. As stated above youll have blokes fitness swapping saying how fast they are and for me I was never great at 1.5 mile runs so in my section I had men doing it rididulously fast, made me disheartened and maybe for some of you in ROP you may find yourself in this situation aswell. About 2-3 weeks in realised they were lazy and a terrible team player and they transferred due to bad reports on themselves. This is why fitness bluffs cant just get by.