Hello lads and a quick question on residency

JayDalls

Reaction score
Hey lads,

I took a season to work in Spain as a singer and musician. It was longer than expected and 183 days I applied for residency to stay legally as the money was very good and I was getting a ton of training in.

I just found out you need 5 years of Uk residency.. so did I just shoot myself in the foot? Can I really not join up because I spent a season in Spain working? I'm 29 so I cant wait 5 years.

Thanks chaps,
James

Frostwisk

Reaction score
Hey mate i'm not sure if anythings changed but from research I've done for myself i don't think you need to be a resident for 5years again. I think it was changed either in 2016 or 2018 but i'm sure someone with the knowledge would clarify.

Periphery

Reaction score
Considering there's guys from the commonwealth joining straight from their country I don't see how this would be an issue

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No you should get a residency waiver. Not sure how it’s working with the old rona on the go but I lived abroad from 3 years before joining the corps

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
If you are a British National with UK passport - you can apply with no major issue,s - you will require a residency waiver if you have lived overseas for more than 12 months in the last 5 years - this will require 3 refrences from people overseas - incl dates known, signed by them and full contact details and a wet signature (not typed), and a Police certificate, indicating no issue with them at all.

Let the AFCO know when they call you intially (they will ask anyway) and they will explain the above to you .!!

Frostwisk

Reaction score
If you are a British National with UK passport - you can apply with no major issue,s - you will require a residency waiver if you have lived overseas for more than 12 months in the last 5 years - this will require 3 refrences from people overseas - incl dates known, signed by them and full contact details and a wet signature (not typed), and a Police certificate, indicating no issue with them at all.

Does this apply too commonwealth citizens also?? @The guide

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
No not entirely - slight differing rules for commonwealth guys and some more bit needed also still on hold, but in regards to the reference requirements, yes same rules.