Hello Royals

Reaction score
Evening gents,

I’ve been keen to join the RM for a while now and recently come across this site last week, and there’s some outstanding advice as you’d expect.

I’m under absolutely no illusions how hard it’ll be for me to join. Having read some of the posts, to even pass the PJFT you have to have a good level of fitness. I’m a realist and not a fantasist and having read through the posts I have to admit, at this moment in time I’m nowhere near at the required fitness levels I once was. I’m 25 years old, 5ft 11 and weigh in at 101kg. I have been going to the gym and trying to shred some weight and get into good shape, currently lost over a stone since Jan but still got a way to go!

This site has given some great advice and I am determined to shed some more weight in the next few months and build my fitness so I can get myself ready to attempt to become a Royal. It’ll be some challenge but I have the determination to do it!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Evening gents,

I’ve been keen to join the RM for a while now and recently come across this site last week, and there’s some outstanding advice as you’d expect.

I’m under absolutely no illusions how hard it’ll be for me to join. Having read some of the posts, to even pass the PJFT you have to have a good level of fitness. I’m a realist and not a fantasist and having read through the posts I have to admit, at this moment in time I’m nowhere near at the required fitness levels I once was. I’m 25 years old, 5ft 11 and weigh in at 101kg. I have been going to the gym and trying to shred some weight and get into good shape, currently lost over a stone since Jan but still got a way to go!

This site has given some great advice and I am determined to shed some more weight in the next few months and build my fitness so I can get myself ready to attempt to become a Royal. It’ll be some challenge but I have the determination to do it!

Get amongst it. Whether you think you can, or you can’t, either way you are right.

Get amongst the site and get it smashed.

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate I know a fair few lads who have had an uphill struggle to get fit either from injury or lifestyle for applying, they are all in training at the moment or have passed out already so it is most definitely doable. One thing I will say is build up to a hard or intense training routine if you aren't used to it, don't just go hard every day with no rest as that way injury lies.
Good effort with the weight loss, have a look at the training tips in the forum - https://www.royalmarines.uk/forums/training-methods-and-diet-suggestions.13/ and keep us all updated.

Ps swimming is great cardio, non impact and not many people do enough of it before getting into recruit training, try and build a session a week into your training plan if possible.

Gingersaurus

Reaction score
Evening gents,

I'm very similar to you, 5ft 11, just turned 26 last week and I weighed around the 100kg+ mark at the start of the year, currently dancing around 78-80kg, 80kg with Easter just gone :D We won't recover as easy as these youngsters starting at 16/17/18 but nothing to say we can't do it.

I couldn't do a single sit up or push up when I started, I can now do 25-30 of each, I can only do a couple pull ups but that's just because I have the back muscles of a toddler. Just push yourself a little harder each week and you'll soon see a difference. I'm hoping to have everything smashed out in the next 3-4 months, fingers crossed my medical comes back OK -nailbiting- and my tip for the treadmill, LEGS! LEGS! LEGSSSS!!!

Reaction score
I'm very similar to you, 5ft 11, just turned 26 last week and I weighed around the 100kg+ mark at the start of the year, currently dancing around 78-80kg, 80kg with Easter just gone :D We won't recover as easy as these youngsters starting at 16/17/18 but nothing to say we can't do it.

I couldn't do a single sit up or push up when I started, I can now do 25-30 of each, I can only do a couple pull ups but that's just because I have the back muscles of a toddler. Just push yourself a little harder each week and you'll soon see a difference. I'm hoping to have everything smashed out in the next 3-4 months, fingers crossed my medical comes back OK -nailbiting- and my tip for the treadmill, LEGS! LEGS! LEGSSSS!

Mate that's some going well in! It's good to see someone similar to myself as I've seen so many posts saying about gaining weight and I'm badly needing to shed it!! Haha I'll be happy to get myself back down to the 90 odd kg I was a few years ago!! I'm naturally fairly broad and an endomorph so I've come to the realisation I'll never look like Zeus :D Like you said mate a big part of it for me is pushing myself a bit further each week, like I said when I'm finished my workouts I'm dripping in sweat and exhausted but to get fitter I have to increase my workouts and push myself that bit further each week!!

Gingersaurus

Reaction score
Mate that's some going well in! It's good to see someone similar to myself as I've seen so many posts saying about gaining weight and I'm badly needing to shed it!! Haha I'll be happy to get myself back down to the 90 odd kg I was a few years ago!! I'm naturally fairly broad and an endomorph so I've come to the realisation I'll never look like Zeus :D Like you said mate a big part of it for me is pushing myself a bit further each week, like I said when I'm finished my workouts I'm dripping in sweat and exhausted but to get fitter I have to increase my workouts and push myself that bit further each week!!

Start off easy, do the basics - Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, (assisted if you need to), and just smash that dreadmill, until you get passed PJFT. If you're sore don't just drop off for a week, I've made that mistake and struggled the week after. Go swimming, I find that helps me recover quicker and sauna afterwards :cool:

If you're not dripping after a workout you're doing it wrong so keep it up. Also noticed you haven't applied yet, have you been to see your local AFCO?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m 26 this year and I struggled to get my fitness up too but I eventually made it into RT! I’m still *text deleted* at phys but you will get there! The pjft i found is more of a mental game than anything else!

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was a former fatty, 115kg when I started, got down to 90ish when I entered recruit training. I recommend Couch to 5K, couldn't even run a mile without keeling over out of breath and at my peak hitting 6 min miles. It will come!

Reaction score
Start off easy, do the basics - Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, (assisted if you need to), and just smash that dreadmill, until you get passed PJFT. If you're sore don't just drop off for a week, I've made that mistake and struggled the week after. Go swimming, I find that helps me recover quicker and sauna afterwards :cool:

If you're not dripping after a workout you're doing it wrong so keep it up. Also noticed you haven't applied yet, have you been to see your local AFCO?

Yeah when I first started I focussed more on weight training + HIIT on the ol dreadmill, but I working more on body weight exercises and circuit training, I'm noticing it is more of a taxing workout and will possibly aid more than weight training when it comes to weight loss (although I know weight training is still important).

I've not been to see my local AFCO yet mate, my focus at least for the next couple months is to smash the workouts and diet o get me in the right physical state, that's the first hurdle for now.

Reaction score
I’m 26 this year and I struggled to get my fitness up too but I eventually made it into RT! I’m still *text deleted* at phys but you will get there! The pjft i found is more of a mental game than anything else!

Congrats mate! I hope it goes well! Thanks for the encouragement!

Reaction score
I was a former fatty, 115kg when I started, got down to 90ish when I entered recruit training. I recommend Couch to 5K, couldn't even run a mile without keeling over out of breath and at my peak hitting 6 min miles. It will come!

Haha mate fair play because it ain't easy, my cardio has always been a weak point. The PJFT for me at this moment in time would be impossible tbf, if I ran a mile I'd need someone with a defibrillator on standby at the finish line!

Like you said though it'll come and is just all about pushing the limits! Cheers for the support bro.