hello

noble

Reaction score
Alright lads, I'm Tom, 19 from Hull, currently at University of Bradford studying 'Politics & Law' as soon as I finish university I want to join the RMC.

Quick question: would anyone recommend joining the TA prior to the RMC? as I have a lot of spare time between now and when I can actually apply for the marines.

regards,

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Tom, Welcome to the site mate.

Yes buddy I'm sure any former military experience will go down well with the Careers office. If you have the time, it certainly wouldn't be wasted by joining them. Although I think from the AFCO's point of view, changing someone from the Army to the Royal Navy is a ball ache and often throws up some issues.

Best to have a word with your local Royal Navy Careers office for their answer, RMR in leeds is about 50 miles across the motorway, have you thought about this?

All the best

GW

noble

Reaction score
Does RMR training take the same period of time as the training for the RMC,
I have a year and a half left of my degree, would it really be a viable option?
cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
RMR is a completely viable option given the time you have left at uni, but beware, it takes at least 12 months to gain your green beret in the RMR & the level of commitment required may well (In fact: WILL!) start eating into your academic study periods. Balance is always the difficult bit.

Have you thought about joining the Officers Training Corps (OTC) whilst at Uni? It's the equivalent of the University Royal Naval Unit (URNU) but run by the Army & it gives an excellent insight into basic fieldcraft to the level of (Army) MTQ1 & 2 (Military Training Qualifications). As a potential RM Officer, you maybe better off poaching a bit of fieldcraft skills from the Army organisation rather than sea-going experience with the URNU organisation. You could ask if it's possible to join the URNU as an honorary member (unpaid) to get a bit of RN/RM insight.

Good luck!

noble

Reaction score
thanks very much for the advice Stoker, I'll be sure to look into it

Tom,