Hello

Marriott

Reaction score
Brief Introduction, at this point in time I am currently 18 and in college while my application goes through, my ultimate goal that I want to achieve with the RM is working my way up to some kind of recce group or 45 Commando (Fleet Protection).

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Get stuck in with the chat here mate. Plenty of good info about training and general info about the Marines.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions either!

What’s your training like at the moment?

Marriott

Reaction score
Cheers Bell, training at the college at the moment is a few PT sessions a week and a royal Marine look at life here and then, I also volunteer at the cadet detachment there and pretty much know my way around the A2 (SA80) and ironing kit etc, just need to work on the fitness side of things

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Brief Introduction, at this point in time I am currently 18 and in college while my application goes through, my ultimate goal that I want to achieve with the RM is working my way up to some kind of recce group or 45 Commando (Fleet Protection).

Welcome, get stuck in. What’s your phys like?
Have you attempted a mock PJFT?

I think you need to revise your Units, as 45 isn’t Fleet Protection...

Cheers Bell, training at the college at the moment is a few PT sessions a week and a royal Marine look at life here and then, I also volunteer at the cadet detachment there and pretty much know my way around the A2 (SA80) and ironing kit etc, just need to work on the fitness side of things

Just a heads up, depending on your cadet branch, the A2 Cadet GP Rifle isn’t the same as the L85 A2. And the weapons handling and drills will be different. So don’t get too hung up on doing drills, or weapons handling.
It’s easier to learn from scratch rather than relearn bad habits. I found that although my previous operational experience gave me a greater confidence in weapon handling, and little things like stripping it, it was an absolute arse ache for me to relearn and get rid of bad habits.

Try to spend your time with the Cadets on map reading and navigation, even just in degrees will give you greater confidence before progressing to Mils.

Marriott

Reaction score
Welcome, get stuck in. What’s your phys like?
Have you attempted a mock PJFT?

I think you need to revise your Units, as 45 isn’t Fleet Protection...

Just a heads up, depending on your cadet branch, the A2 Cadet GP Rifle isn’t the same as the L85 A2. And the weapons handling and drills will be different. So don’t get too hung up on doing drills, or weapons handling.
It’s easier to learn from scratch rather than relearn bad habits. I found that although my previous operational experience gave me a greater confidence in weapon handling, and little things like stripping it, it was an absolute *text deleted* ache for me to relearn and get rid of bad habits.

Try to spend your time with the Cadets on map reading and navigation, even just in degrees will give you greater confidence before progressing to Mils.

I'm doing a mock PJFT next week with some of my mates who also want to join to see where we need to improve and so on, in terms of phys I just need to work on my pull ups (currently able to do 5 or 6 at most in over grasp) and I'm almost at 2.4 in terms of running I just need to pick up speed in terms of timings otherwise my phys is looking good so far.

Was told 45 were FPG by a Royal Navy recruiter but I will definitely revise my units.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm doing a mock PJFT next week with some of my mates who also want to join to see where we need to improve and so on, in terms of phys I just need to work on my pull ups (currently able to do 5 or 6 at most in over grasp) and I'm almost at 2.4 in terms of running I just need to pick up speed in terms of timings otherwise my phys is looking good so far.

Was told 45 were FPG by a Royal Navy recruiter but I will definitely revise my units.

Good effort, keep up the hard work and smash it.

43 is Fleet protection. 45 is a fighting unit, (the best unit....)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_Commando