Hello

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello! Almost a year since I first applied. Now just waiting until the Ladies are able to come down to complete their PRMC.

Welcome. Get amongst it. Plenty of stuff here to help.
What’s your stats? Have you completed a PJFT?

Karma2012

Reaction score
Welcome. Get amongst it. Plenty of stuff here to help.
What’s your stats? Have you completed a PJFT?
I've had the pleasure of doing the PJFT twice, because my first one was out of date, 9:44 for the first, and 9:36 for my most recent, so need to start some running training as I'll almost definitely have to do it again! Now just trying to scrub up on my knowledge and put on some muscle until I can go any further.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...and put on some muscle until I can go any further.

There are others on here far more knowledgeable than I but seriously consider functional muscle gain using good old fashioned press ups, pull ups and dips. Gym sessions alone can only take one so far.
Best of luck.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
What are your push-ups, sit-ups and pull ups like. As a rower, I expect you'd have a rock solid core.

As for only weighing 56kg (as per a separate thread), you need to eat like a pride of lions. Without sounding condescending, I've carried bergens heavier than you.

You'll love this place before long, as everyone here is striving towards the same goal, with a few exceptions. Get stuck in and one day we might see you at the other side.

Karma2012

Reaction score
There are others on here far more knowledgeable than I but seriously consider functional muscle gain using good old fashioned press ups, pull ups and dips. Gym sessions alone can only take one so far.
Best of luck.
I have been cracking on with plenty of press ups/pull ups/tricep dips, though I have actually found that my progress was much slower than I had hoped. I've tried experimenting with different sets and what not, but is there anything you would suggest?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've tried experimenting with different sets and what not, but is there anything you would suggest?

Hopefully others will chip in with their suggestions about what worked well for them. I'll throw some comments about press ups into the mix:

First, I'd suggest ensuring that press ups are being done to the exact, correct form. If you can get someone else to study the online videos and then train with you it's easier to spot flaws in each other's form.

Once you've cracked the technique perhaps slow down each rep to extract maximum pain. This might mean that one's total number of reps falls for a while but it's worth it.

If you're mixing up the sets that's good. Variety definitely helps.

Remember the importance of recovery. People sometimes belt out mega sets of press ups every day of the week which they wouldn't do with a gym routine.

Karma2012

Reaction score
What are your push-ups, sit-ups and pull ups like. As a rower, I expect you'd have a rock solid core.

As for only weighing 56kg (as per a separate thread), you need to eat like a pride of lions. Without sounding condescending, I've carried bergens heavier than you.

You'll love this place before long, as everyone here is striving towards the same goal, with a few exceptions. Get stuck in and one day we might see you at the other side.

My upper body is still a bit pants, but I've now started doing much more specific work for it.
Push ups: 32
Pull ups: 8
Sits ups: 85 (You hit the nail on the head there!)

Not condescending at all, weight has been my main issue, but over the last three months I have been doing a lot of bulking much to my boxing coaches dismay, and have got up to 61 and increasing with no negative effects to my running speed.

I bet, I've been to Lympstone once, and it was out of this world (though I think everyone was a bit soft on us girls, which will hopefully change once more get involved).

Karma2012

Reaction score
Hopefully others will chip in with their suggestions about what worked well for them. I'll throw some comments about press ups into the mix:

First, I'd suggest ensuring that press ups are being done to the exact, correct form. If you can get someone else to study the online videos and then train with you it's easier to spot flaws in each other's form.

Once you've cracked the technique perhaps slow down each rep to extract maximum pain. This might mean that one's total number of reps falls for a while but it's worth it.

If you're mixing up the sets that's good. Variety definitely helps.

Remember the importance of recovery. People sometimes belt out mega sets of press ups every day of the week which they wouldn't do with a gym routine.
That's great, thank you!
Just experimenting a bit at the moment, as I have a while to build up my strength, just gets really frustrating when it does improve as quickly as you'd like.. I've been concentrating on form a lot and using the eccentric control, but I'm yet to find the perfect programme.

But honestly, it's great to have someone enthusiastic and willing to help out! Excited to get stuck with it all.