Hello...

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone (=

I'm Tom. I'm 19 and live in the Nottinghamshire area. Edwinstowe to be precise. As most of you won't be familiar, think of Center Parcs, Sherwood Forest and I live 5 minutes from there. Although I'm originally from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, I moved down to my current residence nearly 2 years ago with my parents as they and the rest of my extended family originate from around the aforementioned area.

Anyway, enough of the boring *text deleted**text deleted*e *text deleted*.

I initially applied around May last year having always had a massive amount of respect for the forces, Marines etc in particular. Passed my medical, aptitude tests, first set of interviews without any problem and were about to begin training with the in-house Marines to prepare for my PRMC. However, around the same time my Grandad became terminally ill, looking back I suppose I were still settling into living down here because I got my current job, meeting some *text deleted**text deleted*ing awesome lads in the process and met my then Girlfriend. So I didn't think, mentally, I were up to it. So it all went sideways. Up until around a month ago...

I've found myself become increasingly frustrated with my job as a Fitness Instructor. Well, supposed to be an FI but I'm mainly based with 8-12 year olds. Very irregular and not even guaranteed hours, boredam, not feeling appreciated and just thinking "FFS, there's got to be more to life than this...". So reignited my interest, offically, last week and just about to carry on where I left off. I've researched all the pro's and con's in great depth, I've seen and have a much better idea of what it's all about (Thank you to 'Commando, On the Front Line' for that) and still think it's something I really want to do. I didn't want to go through my life with if and but's, thinking what might have been and looking back in 10, 20 years time and wondering "Why didn't I just go for it when I had the chance".

I think such elite forces, in it's greatest possible sense such as Royal Marines warrant and deserve a massive amount of respect for what they do and indeed what they do just getting there. I also think it'd be something very, very special to say your part of such a thing. Must make you feel extremely proud of yourself.

I look forward to chatting with you all and possibly even meeting some of you in the future seen as we all have the same aspirations (=

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Smudge,

A big welcome to you & best of luck in achieving you goals after a bit of a bumpy ride. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Do join in on the site- the vast majority are similar to yourself and at various stages of selection. We're lucky enough to have a few serving Marines who input directly & indirectly on the site. (I'm not a Royal Marine, just a recruiter of them).

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, matey.

And yes, I'd be very interested to hear from RMs past and present about their experiences. Can only help me of course.