Help/ Advice with training

Reaction score
Morning gents,

Some may have seen my welcome post last night, and to cut a long story short I'm currently trying to shed a couple of stone and get my fitness back on track as it is poor to say the least, certainly compared to the majority on here. I haven't attempted a mock PJFT yet as I would fail miserably, I know before I make a decent attempt at one I need to lose weight and build fitness. There is some top advice on here but understandably it is aimed towards lads who are fit enough or almost fit enough to complete their PJFT. My current training is shown below and I aim for a calorie intake of 1500 a day so I can lose the weight, also consuming at least 2l of water a day.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday are my training days.
15 press ups x 3
10 dumbbell shoulder press standing x 3 -
10 goblet squats x 3
10 elbow to knees x 3
10 heel touchers x 3
10 weighted cocoons (with medicine ball) x 3
8 lat pull downs x 3

Treadmill training HIIT - 20 mins
2 mins warm up
sprint for 20 secs
rest for 30 secs

By the time I'm finished I am burnt out, although by some fitness standards on here I know it'll be a walk in the park. I am concerned my fitness doesn't seem to be improving much considering this schedule. Any tips or advice from you lads will be great!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Your fitness will improve!! Just keep at it. You will adjust and you will get better .

Reaction score
Your fitness will improve!! Just keep at it. You will adjust and you will get better .

Thanks Arny, I've seen your famous plan on here mate, it's certainly given me something to aim towards and try when the fitness is up!!

Reaction score
1500 calories is not a lot of calories! How are you feeling? ;)

In a word, hungry! Haha tell me about it though mate! It’s clean 1500 cals though as you’d expect, I do cope alright with it for a big lump haha plus that combined with the exercise is stripping the weight down, so I can put up with it for a while yet! ;)

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In a word, hungry! Haha tell me about it though mate! It’s clean 1500 cals though as you’d expect, I do cope alright with it for a big lump haha plus that combined with the exercise is stripping the weight down, so I can put up with it for a while yet! ;)

I’m in the same boat, I’m on a cut at around 2000 cals. I’m so tired

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, I’m on a cut at around 2000 cals. I’m so tired

It is hard mate it takes its toll! I just make sure I’m drinking plenty of water throughout the day, and keeping the food I’m eating clean as! Also not forgetting a couple cups of black coffee a day keeps the energy spiked a bit ;)

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1500 Calories is my breakfast, you poor poor man;)

Good effort with the weight loss though!

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Quick tips for the weight loss.

Flavoured sparkling water is single digit calories per serving depending on the flavour. Or my favourite Pepsi max cherry, 2 cals per can. The fiz will make you feel fuller for longer.

Also lettuce, again very low in calories and high in volume, so again will make you feel fuller. I like to have a beef mince (5% fat) and lettuce wrap for lunch with a can of Pepsi cherry.

And finally, this depends on when you train and your general lifestyle with work and commitments, but when I was dieting down I saved as many calories as I could until the end of the day, so I would go from about 6 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon just necking sparkling water and a couple of snacks worth less than 300 cals each. This can be hard to do, but the benefit is that when you get in you’ve got (in my case) 1000 cals left for the day, so that’s when you can effectively “pig out” and get quite experimental with what you eat.

Reaction score
Quick tips for the weight loss.

Flavoured sparkling water is single digit calories per serving depending on the flavour. Or my favourite Pepsi max cherry, 2 cals per can. The fiz will make you feel fuller for longer.

Also lettuce, again very low in calories and high in volume, so again will make you feel fuller. I like to have a beef mince (5% fat) and lettuce wrap for lunch with a can of Pepsi cherry.

And finally, this depends on when you train and your general lifestyle with work and commitments, but when I was dieting down I saved as many calories as I could until the end of the day, so I would go from about 6 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon just necking sparkling water and a couple of snacks worth less than 300 cals each. This can be hard to do, but the benefit is that when you get in you’ve got (in my case) 1000 cals left for the day, so that’s when you can effectively “pig out” and get quite experimental with what you eat.

I’m defo with you on the Pepsi max cherry :D tastes unreal when you’re dieting and cutting out a lot of sugar! I do tend to normally do what you do, in terms of through the day I’ll eat approx 500 cals so it gives me around 1000 left for dinner!

Cheers for the advice mate.

sbradb

Reaction score
I personally recommend adding a couple of swimming sessions. Swimming is a great cardio session that is light on your joints- preventing shins splints, knee pain and other common (but painful) injuries for new runners/people returning to running whilst improving your cardiovascular endurance.

Keep up the hard work!

Reaction score
I personally recommend adding a couple of swimming sessions. Swimming is a great cardio session that is light on your joints- preventing shins splints, knee pain and other common (but painful) injuries for new runners/people returning to running whilst improving your cardiovascular endurance.

Keep up the hard work!

I’ve seen a lot saying about swimming and you made a very valid point about it being light on the joints! Haven’t done any real swimming since I was a lifeguard a few years ago so defo might get back into it!

Cheers for the support mate appreciate it.