Help - Dilemma regarding my training

sjuggins

Reaction score
Alright guys.

Firstly let me apologise about the long post, I've got a lot to explain and you guys are probably the only one's who will understand.

I'm having a dilemma with regards to my current training routines. I have been weight training (powerlifting type training) for the past 2 years and do enjoy it, and have made some good gains in strength. This currently consists of :-

Monday - Chest and Shoulders
Tuesday - Leg and Back
Thursday - Biceps and Triceps

I do this training with an ex powerlifting champion so go with what he says.

Now then, to my dilemma.

As I'm training for the RMR, I need to focus on my pushups, pullups and situps (as well as running). As you all know the RM aren't really interested in massive size or strength, you need endurance.

The problem I'm facing is that I'm struggling to improve in either area now. For the powerlifting I should be getting bigger, however for the RMR I need to lose a little weight. If I go heavy on a Monday, I can't really do any pushups for the next day or so as I'm so sore. Also I can't do any pushups at the weekend as I need all my energy for Monday's session, it's exactly the same with my pullups, and if I run on the day I do legs I struggle with squats :?

My trainer (who I pay, private gym) is starting to ask me what I'm doing as I'm getting leaner and weaker during my training sessions due to all of the other training and running I'm doing. Up until now I've just been saying I'm not feeling well or really tired because of my son, I can't keep going on saying that.

If I tell my trainer the real reason is because I'm training to join the RMR, he would just call me an idiot and why on earth would I want to join the "TA" (he's very anti armed-forces) when I've got a wife and young son.

Deep down I think know that I should really stop the weight training (which will be very awkward as both my brother and wife train there as well) and focus on what I need to do for RMR. Am I right with my thinking, would you guys do the same? My trainer (who's also a kind of mate) would probably take it as an insult that I want to stop training considering I've never mentioned my interest in the RM before to him.

Initially it was my intention to keep doing both as I thought they would complement each other, but they clearly don't.

Thanks in advance, I'm really confused how I should approach this situation??

Sorry again for the long post.
Stu.

southerncomfort

Reaction score
You have to decide whats best for you mate!.

I'm in a similar boat with regards to joining RMR with a family and of course it's scary when you think you may get injured or worse and how it will effect your wife and kids. But at the same time im sure there was a post on here recently comparing the death rate in the Marines since the war began and the death toll in the construction industry, which shows that you are going to be highly trained and surrounded by highly trained men that have your back when the S*text deleted*t hits the fan!

The time commitment involved with the RMR is heavy and as long as you have discussed it with your wife and are prepared for the impact it will have on your family time then go for it and drop the power lifting.
At the end of the day this guy is being PAID so he should see it as a business and and the fact that his customer now has a different goal NOT try and impose his anti military views on you and guilt trip you into doing something you may not want to do anymore.

At the end of the day mate its down to you and what you want and if your prepared to ignore the anti-mililtary brigade and put the effort into doing something that will be the most rewaarding experience of your life.

First things first dicuss the commitment and the risks BUT also the benefits of joining the Marines with your wife and family. Then if you are going to go for it explain to your trainer that your goals have changed and that as much as you appreciate his help and expertise your are taking up a new challenge and you won't be able to continue with his routine. Like I said, friend or not if your paying him then its a business and he should be understanding and supportive whether he agrees with the forces or not.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you have given it considerable thought and the RMR is still what you want to, then your going to want to start training hard for it. I don't think you will have to give up the weight training completely as certain upper body exercises help with push-ups and pull-ups. But endurance is a must so you'll want to focus on that. I you want this bad enough I'm sure you'll figure out what has to be done.

All the best,

Jason.

sjuggins

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, you're all confirming what I already knew. The guy can be a bit of an arse at times, and as you've all said, if he was a true mate he'd understand. I know he won't so stuff it, he's not worth worrying about.

With regards to my family, I've spoken to my wife at length about the RMR and their use of intelligent mobilisation, she has always said she'll support me no matter what I decide.

@Southerncomfort - I really admire how you're handling your situation, I only have one child and find it difficult. I'm having to miss RMR tonight as he's ill and don't think it fair to get a babysitter to look after him when he's like this.

All I have to do now is strike up the courage to tell my trainer that I want to leave, that'll be a fun conversation!!

Thanks again,
Stu.

daz900daz

Reaction score
Stu mate i agree with the other guys.

It's a case of what do you wnat more....... i had to give up weight training to, lost a shed load of weight and am not quite benching what i used to but i feel great. The weight is slowly going on again, i feel strong fast and fit. Yeah it's a bit of a curse not being able to carry on both, but, i'm gussing you'll like the new you in a years time! You'll feel 100%.

You'll probably find the power lifting will help yo mentally when your training pal as you'll be used to the burn. If yor mate was any kind of decent trainer of friend for that matter he'd help you get there!

Good luck.

sjuggins

Reaction score
Daz, cheers for the advice and encouragement.

Well guys heres the latest on my dilemma.

I went in last night to see my trainer before my usual session, and started to explain that although I really enjoyed training I have a burning ambition (as I have since I was 15) to be a Royal Marine and as such was going to stop training so I could concentrate on that.

Well it didn't go down well at all :shock:
He immediately got angry, started swearing at me and called me an idiot for wanting to pursue such a stupid thing as I have a young family. I tried to explain that I was going into the reserves and it will take me about 18 months before I will ever go to Iraq (or wherever) and that they ask for volunteers first, but he was having none of it.

I then said to him that although I knew he was disappointed I was leaving I hoped he would wish me luck and we could still be mates, his was reply was "how can we be mates, I've got no respect for you as you're joining that *text deleted*". At which point I said fair enough, and walked out the door.

Still a little in shock from his response, but when I got home decided to go for a nice 5 mile run and made me feel a lot clearer and focused. Getting up this morning was great as I now know what I need to do and don't have any obstacles in my way.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been well appreciated.
Stu :D

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff, one less thing to worry about then, least you can focus on it now and crack on with what you really want to do!
And as for that bloke sounds like the kind of mate you dont need anyway so this decision was probably for the best.

daz900daz

Reaction score
I agree..... sounds like a bit of a dick head really! No offence intended. Mate i know it's hard and if anything it will only get harder for the first little while, at the end of it though you'll have a cracking bunch of mates who all love what you love and will lay down their lives for you, not give you abuse when you want to better yourself!

Good luck with the training and all the best with all you persue.

P.s I know your down a trainer now, so, being a personal trainer any advise you want give me a shout and i'll answer as best i can ASAP!