Help Me Please!

Silvie666

Reaction score
Hey

I have recently decided that i want to join the RM. I have started to get my fitness up by running twice each day, and doing come other exercise such a press ups and weight training.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice for me such as other training that would be good to do, and really any other important or useful info.

Cheers

Geordie

Reaction score
Hi

Look under the Training Tips and Suggestions Section. Absolutely tonnes of advice.

All the best

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
As Geordie said look in the training tips section,
and do a search if you want something specific.

Oh and I would advise against going running twice a day,
everyday,
you should mix it up with other exercises like cycling or swimming,
and you should include rest days.

Joe

RH

Reaction score
Look on the royal marines website and look at the exercises on the "Get fit to apply". Its working a treat for me

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with JM-running twice a day is a recipe for disaster, you will only get injured and burnt out and it won't get you any fitter than running once a day. I would suggest 3 bodyweight circuits a week (press-ups, pull-ups etc.), 4-5 runs (varying the pace, distance and time) and supplemet this with 2-3 sessions swimming/cycling or sum other form of cardio

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
When i was down at the POC, the PTI at the end reccomended 4-5 runs a week but at least half on a treadmill. Then you can also include cycling/swimming to mix things up and keep it interesting.
Good one for press ups he said was to start a stop watch and do 20press ups, wait till one minute then do another, at 2mins do another, etc etc till you get to 10mins. Before you know it you have done 200 press ups and you f*text deleted**ed! *text deleted* tis a good one.

0.01%

Reaction score
When i was down at the POC, the PTI at the end reccomended 4-5 runs a week but at least half on a treadmill. Then you can also include cycling/swimming to mix things up and keep it interesting.
Good one for press ups he said was to start a stop watch and do 20press ups, wait till one minute then do another, at 2mins do another, etc etc till you get to 10mins. Before you know it you have done 200 press ups and you f*text deleted**ed! *text deleted* tis a good one.
Did he say why you should do half on a treadmill?

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Yeh its easier on your joints. Doing alot of road running especially will lead quickly to knee pains and knock you out of training for a while.

steve_elvin

Reaction score
Thats very true, Don't do too much road running I've learnt the hard way with that and got a shin splint so am having to rest it up, biggest tip before running, make sure you stretch out for a good 10 - 15 mins or you will quickly pick up injuries.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Other than a short spell of knee pain,
and acute shin splints last year,
I've never had injuries from road running,
and that's all I do.

Joe

TJ08

Reaction score
I was under the impression that running on a treadmill was bad for joints as it is constant pressure on the same place in the joints due to the running surface not varying.

But then again i suppose a balance of the two would work.
I do most running through fields, footpaths and tracks. There is some roads in there as well. Usually 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week. I havent had any problems... yet.