Help Me !!

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when i first joined up i failed my first bmi on my medical but was fit as *text deleted**text deleted* but i lost the weight passed and then put it back on agen *text deleted*, but then i weighed 87 kg(three years ago), i have my medical next thurs and my fitness is hoofin but now i weigh 96kg but i have a lot more muscle than i had befor but i prob have half or three quarters of a stone i can loose and im worried that my medical officer will pick up on that, does anyone no any way i can get a quick fix for that fast!! cheers lads!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I hope he does pick you up on it as then I won't be the only guy on here to have failed a medical for being too heavy, :uglyhammer:

Only joking, do you know what you have to be down to to get a pass?

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ithey just need to look at you and if you have a low fat mass they will pass u regardless

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
*text deleted* they won't mate unless you have a very understanding doc. I even landed bang on and he still threatened to fail me again.

There is an limit for standard people, then there is an upper limit for bigger muscled guys (That's how he explained it to me).

I was 6ft and the upper limit for that was 97kg. I didn't even know there was an upper limit, I just turned up and was shocked to hear I'd failed on weight.

What height are you?

recruit clements 1988

Reaction score
I have the same worries fella...im a big lad, 88.7kgs, and im worried that my bmi will be higher than expected. Im quite short...i know ill be the donkey of the troop when i get in, theyll load me up for my trek to bethlehem i no that...

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
when i first joined up i failed my first bmi on my medical but was fit as *text deleted**text deleted* but i lost the weight passed and then put it back on agen *text deleted*, but then i weighed 87 kg(three years ago), i have my medical next thurs and my fitness is hoofin but now i weigh 96kg but i have a lot more muscle than i had befor but i prob have half or three quarters of a stone i can loose and im worried that my medical officer will pick up on that, does anyone no any way i can get a quick fix for that fast!! cheers lads!
Why the hell would you fail the medical on weighing too much, then put on even more weight three years later before you go again? Glutton for punishment?

M

MTW

the upper limit is 29, i failed as i was 6,1 and 108kgs, but was fit and all that so didnt think it would be a problem, my BMI was 29.5 tho, but now its 26 down to around 90kgs and its surprisingly easy to maintain this weight which is good. but yea 29 is the upper limit

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why the hell would you fail the medical on weighing too much, then put on even more weight three years later before you go again? Glutton for punishment?
when i was in rt three years ago i was a smaller build because the last 2 years i have been doing alot of weight lifting and become much broarder, i am completely different and my pressups,pullups etc are better now then when i was in rt, what im saying is i dont want to loose muscle:thefinger::thefinger:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, it's the same story guys, over - developed muscle does not equate to the balanced upper body strength and good CV fitness needed for Recruit Training. Big muscles do not necessarily mean "fit" in the eyes of Commando training.

We frequently get guys who decide they are going to do bodybuilding before Recruit Training and unfortunately excessive muscle mass has a huge impact on the ability to run fast over the longer distance & those carrying excessive muscle mass suffer in training.

The advice from Lympstone, with regard further developing your muscle groups through weight training is use relatively small weights with large amounts reps, rather than the reverse. Save bulking-up until AFTER Recruit Training, most definitely not before.

To reduce the weight increase the frequency, speed & distance of the runs, don't take supplements, eat healthy & reduce the weights drastically, focusing on press-ups & pull-ups instead.

caliba

Reaction score
best way to shed weight is to cut carbs and water and sweat like hell, just like a fighter would before weigh in, someone of your size could probs lose quite a few pounds, just try to avoid any carbs before the med and drink as little water as poss, then jog at about 75% of your max, just dont do to much *text deleted* of the lack of carbs and water.

ChrisC

Reaction score
If you know for sure you're going to fail Andy, perhaps you should reschedule your medical until a couple of months time, and run like a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** every day to drop some fat. Whatever you do though, don't starve yourself or anything stupid like that.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Weights

Again, it's the same story guys, over - developed muscle does not equate to the balanced upper body strength and good CV fitness needed for Recruit Training. Big muscles do not necessarily mean "fit" in the eyes of Commando training.

We frequently get guys who decide they are going to do bodybuilding before Recruit Training and unfortunately excessive muscle mass has a huge impact on the ability to run fast over the longer distance & those carrying excessive muscle mass suffer in training.

The advice from Lympstone, with regard further developing your muscle groups through weight training is use relatively small weights with large amounts reps, rather than the reverse. Save bulking-up until AFTER Recruit Training, most definitely not before.

To reduce the weight increase the frequency, speed & distance of the runs, don't take supplements, eat healthy & reduce the weights drastically, focusing on press-ups & pull-ups instead.
Guys, to achieve this I would recommend Bobypump classes as I do them 3 times a week. The muscle bosuns don't last very long in these classes as there's a lot of endurance required to keep going for the duration of the session. Each body part is thrashed with a high number of repetitions and is great for building up power and inner strength. Quite often there's tonnes of pressups too, so fill your boots.

This along with a good running routine will help you immenseley.

Its also a great way to shed weight and tone up your body. However, there is a saying "You are what you eat!!"

So, try and eat a sensible diet too. Don't eat fried foods, don't eat 4 hours before going to bed and ensure you drink plenty of water.

Cheers

Steve

M

MTW

what helpd me alot i think, was doing the bodyweight circuit in the green bible, but about double the reps on everything, and do each exersise quite fast and with no break between.

brummielad

Reaction score
At the moment i am actually quite badly im about 14 stone and im about 5.7 hieight wise. I didnt think they would fail you for this becuase i am fit enough i can run a mile and half in 9.20 and do 50 press ups etc but i do have a big belly i suppose compared to other people. Can anybody tell me what my BMI should be for my height and how much i should way if i am to pass. I imagine shed a stone and i should be okay?

tripper

Reaction score
Guys, to achieve this I would recommend Bobypump classes as I do them 3 times a week. The muscle bosuns don't last very long in these classes as there's a lot of endurance required to keep going for the duration of the session. Each body part is thrashed with a high number of repetitions and is great for building up power and inner strength. Quite often there's tonnes of pressups too, so fill your boots.
yeh i agree with this one, i do it 1 or 2 times a week and you can feel the burn! also because the weights used are relative to your strength you can progress quite nicely.