Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Help Needed

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by J18, May 11, 2019.

1. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi All, I am struggling with fitness.

I made a post in November 2018 asking for advice with fitness and have tried multiple different things since then. But I am completely lost and do not know what to do. Below is what I could do back in November 2018.

Return Mile: 10:15
    Press ups: 20
    Sit ups: 20
    Pull ups: 4-5

Everything has stayed the same but my push ups. I have only increased them by 10. I have been training everyday but nothing is improving. Any suggestions is much appreciated !

2. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Have you tried the PRMC fitness plan put out by the RN?

• Like Like x 1
  3. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I have done yes but nothing improved

4. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Whats your age, weight and rest days per week?

5. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Tabata lots and lots of tabata with recovery swims sessions, maximise a good diet. You shouldn’t be struggling to improve, its your schedule that’s suffering.

Ask @arny01 for some tips, he’s renowned for whipping forum users into prmc readiness.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I know I am on the heavier side but I have been weight training for a couple years now so It's not all fat. I also rest on Sundays

Height 6ft
    Weight 93kg
    Age 18

Thank you for the help *text deleted* !

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'll throw something into the mix for consideration.

If you're training every day as you state it is easy to slip into a routine whereby fitness plateaus because one's body becomes accustomed to the same old routine and isn't stretched.

What works for me is a training partner or at least someone to monitor training by perhaps timing a return mile even if they don't run themselves. Knowing that someone is there with a stopwatch ready to laugh is a good motivator.

• Like Like x 1
  8. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    That does sound like a good idea. I noticed when I trained with other people I always had better sessions !

9. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I dont know enough about you to tell you what youd need to do or not to do, anacdotaly I am a large bloke (6ft4 97kg) and run a good BFT and good RMFA scores, i too have suffered with poor scores across the board. I dropped the weights for running, cycling and swimming, always doing a push ups sit ups and pull ups circuit after runs.

Mixed up sprints, long runs and track running too.

I made sure i had at least 2 rest/active recovery days per week e.g walk up a hill or light swim or rock climbing or even just a day to chill in the sun.

But most importantly, is be honest with yourself, are you doing enough? are you doing the right things to push your body to adapt? e.g bench presses will not improve your push up score as well as push ups.

Running 7 days a week will not allow your body to adapt properly.

Did you put in everything to that run? If not, why? its okay to fail or do less than last week, just ask why and what was different, could be poor diet, lack of sleep, overtraining etc.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    The biggest secret in the fitness industry is rest and recovery is as important as a big phys session

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I think I might increase my recovery days to two a week and start training with someone else as that can be extra motivation !

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Look out for others training when you're running. You'll probably spot the same people running the routes you run. Just say hello and ask if they want an occasional training partner.

• Like Like x 1
  13. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I started doing 6x200m sprints twice a week on top of other training and knocked a minute off my 1.5 mile time, now increased this to 6x250m!!

I intend to keep increasing this aiming for 6x400m, then 4x600m, 3x800m then 2x1200m!!

All in the aim of getting a good 1.5 mile time

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As others have pointed out depends how much you train/effort your putting in?

When you do those bodyweight exercises do you feel your putting in 100% or are you literally burned out when you get to those scores?

I know carrying to much excessive weight makes a massive difference to bodyweight exercises so only you know if your current stature is of athletic type or you could do with shedding a bit?
    I’m only 5 foot 8 but I currently weigh 15.7 and all tho there’s not much to me when I’m losing weight it’s making other exercises more easier to improve on same with running.

Do you do those bodyweight exercises after doing other strength training just before or are you going into these exercises full of energy?

I made the mistake of focusing on weights/machines that benefit the same musles as press/pull/sit-ups but didn’t put the effort into the actual exercises which was my downfall.

What is your current training routine through the week like?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Also be careful about the "tried everything" approach when you're only talking about a couple of months.

Stick with a program for a set number of weeks to allow yourself to adapt to its demands and then build upon it. I am the same when i jump between things and all wires get crossed and progress is impeded.

Its not a secret formula. You do the work consistently and changes happen. Stick with it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    It's definitely a good idea
    I Just started doing 5 sets of 500 meters 16 kph and found it helps already. Its Definitely effective !

• Like Like x 1
  17. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Monday I train chest and then after I have finished training chest I do Dan Frampton Push ups workout (It's been removed from YouTube for some reason) After this I do 1.5 mile 13 kph and then 4x500 meters 16 kph 45 seconds rest between each set and then 1x400 meters. I normally train each main body part (Monday-chest Tuesday-back ext) and then doing a pull up, sit up or push up workout after. I do that running (above) Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I am confident I will be able complete the PJFT it's just the sit ups, push ups and pull ups I am concerned about.

18. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I don’t know what speed I’m doing, I do all my runs outside nowadays

• Like Like x 1
  19. LFRW06

LFRW06 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As a student studying a physiology related degree I'll throw my 50 pence in here.
    Agree with this 100% (I'm 6'2 and 106kg). The only way you're going to get body weight scores better is by getting stronger and/or getting lighter. Maybe try a weighted vest (as suggested by @arny01 in his plan), and perhaps think about easing off training specific muscle groups (e.g Monday - Chest, Tuesday - Back etc) in favour of getting miles in on the pavement or in the pool. Granted, I haven't passed anything yet, so I'm not qualified to give RT or PRMC related advice, but as we all know - you're not being assessed on the size of your pecs.

Also ensure you're covering the basics with regards to sleep and nutrition etc.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  20. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    In all honesty, ditch the weights. You'll hear it at your AFCO and you'll hear it when you get to PRMC. Don't train muscle groups but train exercises. Same goes for push-ups etc. Compound lifts I found were beneficial to my training but go for reps and endurance rather than heavy weight.

Get sprints, sprints, hill sprints and more sprints in. In 3 weeks of having not ran a timed BFT and just running sprints, I shaved 14 seconds from my time and that's having done a beep test before.

Push your muscles to failure. Then push them again. I remember reading on here that "practice makes perfect, failure gains reps" or something like that. It definitely applied to me; when training circuits I would do no more that 30. When testing myself, anything up to 30 was a breeze but after that more reps became a struggle. It's when I changed my approach I was gaining around 1-3 reps a week. When you can literally do no more press-ups or even struggle to push a door open, you know you've done it right. The same applies for the other exercises.

For pull-ups, implement eccentric reps to your workout. It's basically just starting at the top and slowly releasing the rep. You'll find an abundance of videos showing you.

Arnys plan has a good mix of running, gym sessions, bodyweight circuits and rest days. It's a proven winner and I'm definitely going to follow it the best I can.

Lastly, you're a big guy. 93kg is a lot to carry. At 80kg I was told I weighed too much and need to drop down to mid to low 70's. It's going to make bodyweight exercises so much easier, make you faster on your feet and make you able to go on longer.

Very lastly, don't give up. Fitness can be trained, it's all about consistency and really pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. No one just has a Royal Marines fitness levels, they all started somewhere, everyone does. Best of luck mate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1