Help on Interval Training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lads,

Been on a big runners forum for the past couple of days talking to people who are experts in running in the sense we are experts in marine training, and they are useless!

So my plan at the moment is training solely for my pjft for the moment whenever it will be because i havnt ran for the past 2 weeks, after a build up week this week, and the schedule will be:
Tuesday: Mock PJFT
Thursday: Interval training: Sprinting across a field of unknown length (maybe 100m) jogging back, and repeating about 10 times
Saturday: Interval Training: Treadmill, large incline (how large?) 60 seconds sprinting, 30 seconds rest, 10 times.

How does that look? any problems and such?

Cheers!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you're focused purely on PJFT then that looks like a good one. Eat right and that plan should work really well, wouldn't change anything.

Some people would also swear by doing a longer run (5-6 miles) which helps with leg fatigue and whatnot but that's optional to you.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Lads,

Been on a big runners forum for the past couple of days talking to people who are experts in running in the sense we are experts in marine training, and they are useless!

So my plan at the moment is training solely for my pjft for the moment whenever it will be because i havnt ran for the past 2 weeks, after a build up week this week, and the schedule will be:
Thursday: Interval training: Sprinting across a field of unknown length (maybe 100m) jogging back, and repeating about 10 times
Saturday: Interval Training: Treadmill, large incline (how large?) 60 seconds sprinting, 30 seconds rest, 10 times.

Cheers!
Looks good enough, incline should be no less than 2% my advice would be maybe 2.5 so when it comes to it, it will feel like nothing.

Some people would also swear by doing a longer run (5-6 miles) which helps with leg fatigue and whatnot but that's optional to you.
Yeah thats right long runs are your base for leg endurance, very effective when combined with hill sprints.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You know thats what i was thinking just now, but i cant see fitting in another run without making the whole routine worse as a whole, am thinking about doing my pjft then running for another 2 mile, but i would die of boredom.

Perhaps, if i ran a 4-5 miler to the field ill be doing training with on thursdays...

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its not that essential to do long runs for PFJT only for PRMC and RT, for PFJT max you'll probably *text deleted**text deleted** do is 3-4 mile is to get your body used to the distance and accompany it with speed drills and mocks so you know how your improving and such

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Interval Training: Treadmill, large incline (how large?)]
Sorry i wasn't reading properly, for a large incline id say a safe beat is to double the incline you need for PFJT so about 4% or above would strengthen your legs.

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lads,

Cheers!
Mine is pretty much the same as that mate. I have my RT on the same day as you, so we are in pretty similar situations. Best of luck.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mine is pretty much the same as that mate. I have my RT on the same day as you, so we are in pretty similar situations. Best of luck.
Well mate we should watch eachothers progress, we might be in the ctcrm together! challenge you to be sub 8.50 in the return

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the only thing i didnt see was the hill sprints, i think they were majorly effective for me, got my return down from not been able to finish to 9.23 in something like a month, although from the looks of things you have it covered in your thursday session. take a look at plyometrics too, i found them great for developing leg strength so you dont really notice the incline. before pjft i did one 5 mile run, and i dont think it really helped, just stick to interval training and mock tests and you should be fine

Coco

Reaction score
I'd personally recommend 200m intervals and after a few weeks work up to 400m intervals. 100m intervals is anaerobic. 400m is known as one of the hardest distance race to run as it's on the brink of anaerobic and aerobic. Get the 400m intervals smashed and you will smash your PJFT.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd personally recommend 200m intervals and after a few weeks work up to 400m intervals. 100m intervals is anaerobic. 400m is known as one of the hardest distance race to run as it's on the brink of anaerobic and aerobic. Get the 400m intervals smashed and you will smash your PJFT.
in possibly 4 weeks time? could be 8 weeks, so whats the difference?

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well mate we should watch eachothers progress, we might be in the ctcrm together! challenge you to be sub 8.50 in the return
Challenge accepted.

I am going for the reserves mate, but I'll probably see you down there if all goes well. How is your training going?

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Challenge accepted.

I am going for the reserves mate, but I'll probably see you down there if all goes well. How is your training going?
My training is going nicely, just got back on my legs for running tother day, passed my psychometric test today to, the 2 officers i was with who took it, both failed! Marine > Navy Officer

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Navy officer's requirements > Royal marines requirements

:noworry:

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Navy officer's requirements > Royal marines requirements

:noworry:
Before they were told they failed, they revealed to us that they hadn't answered most of the maths stuff and hadn't finish half of the 4th part, Marines > Navy Officers.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, well at my psychometric, when we had to write down where we live (before the actual test) one marine applicant put his hand up and said "For this question, should I just write down a house?" followed by a few giggles, one coming from one of the examiners. Needless to say, I didn't have to ask him after to find out if he passed or not.

The first 4 people who went in to get their results before me all failed though and they were all going for the navy. :thefinger:

Status
Not open for further replies.