help plz pull ups.......

rm1664

Reaction score
i just wondered if anyone as got any advice on ways to improve my pull ups i can barely do 1

but press ups,sit ups,running anything like that im fine just pull ups i struggle on

would appreciate any advice

thanks

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just do loads of pullups *text deleted*.
And reverse pullups as described in the other thread.
Will end in death.
EDIT: I dunno why, I put will end in death, it was probably on my mind looking at the drink in front of me.

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
same as me rm1664, i could barely do 1. All i do at the moment is normal underhand pullups in sets, but at the end of the sets i just try to do them as best i can even if its half of 1, 3-5 times over, just so i train the muscles that are involved a little bit. After about 2 weeks i can do 1 and a half to 2 pullups now, just keep doing it.

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
watch this mate

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FYNJufizGsA

isometrics have been proven everywhere from the russians to brits and germans to the yanks to improve your strength 5% every week give this ago.

Also buy yourself a doorway pull up bar from argos for like 10 quid and put it in your hallway or bedroom door. every time you pass it do 1 pull up. try and build up to doing 50 lots of 1 rep pull ups in your first week. then retest.

Practice makes perfect. basically do what the link says above. then go and find the evil russians push up prgram thats been posted here. and apply that to pull ups.

oh and if your fat lose some weight(i dont know if you are but any extra weight isnt *text deleted* help). and never train to failure

Tom

jakejones

Reaction score
get on the lat pull down machine first to build your strength up.
then move onto the bar, going to take a while mate but you will get there.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you cant afford gym membership or would rather not go, bent over rows help (see youtube), as do pull-overs (lie on your back with a weight on the floor above your head, hold weight, lift it over your body towards your waist , keeping arms straight. then return.that is one rep) you can do an extra set in this to exercise your triceps- when you arms are straight infront of your face (vertical) bend your arms at the elbow to 90 degrees then straighten them, continue with pull down rep. do this on every pulldown rep

Ghod70

Reaction score
Thought I'd give this a post, not got professional advice like given before but a few months ago I was in your situation, couldn't muster one pullup. Bought a pull up bar and started off with the underhand chinups and done 3 sets of 10. Obviously I couldn't do 10 so whenever I failed I would jump up to get my chin under the bar and lower myelf down as slowly as possible until I had done 10. Then after a week or 2 of this I turned my palms round and repeated the same with the proper marine pull ups. I can do 9 now.