help plz....

rm1664

Reaction score
i just wondered if anyone as got any advice on ways to improve my pull ups i can barely do 1

but press ups,sit ups,running anything like that im fine just pull ups i struggle on

would appreciate any advice

thanks

D

Deleted

Do some reverses (I'm not sure what they are called). Hold yourself up, then lower yourself slowly. Keep doing this and you'll be able to do pull-ups in no time, I think they are the easiest to get better at too.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh I'd say the same, even better get someone to lift you first because then you can do loads, and will build up your pullup number quicker.

Snell79

Reaction score
You need to improve your upper body strength quite a bit! Don't want to scare you but i've been lifting weights for nearly 2 years, i couldn't really do any pull ups can do about 7 now after 2 years! There will be quicker ways of improving your upper body strength maybe one pf the other lads can help? I'm sure the prmc booklet has info in about improving your strength when you visit your afco.

Chris

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
elo mate, i had that problem to and its nothing to worry about , all you haved to do is keep doin them! and dont give up and they will get better.

i could only do 1 a few months ago and now i can do 10 and there getting better just keep them up *text deleted* and make sure you keep your legs straight, pull ups are mainly your back muscles doing the work

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do some reverses (I'm not sure what they are called). Hold yourself up, then lower yourself slowly. Keep doing this and you'll be able to do pull-ups in no time, I think they are the easiest to get better at too.

Yeah they're called negatives.

Also if your pull up bar is on your door or something, when you manage to do atleast one, everytime you go past it, do 1.

Pullups are pretty specific I've found, I did/do alot of weight training too and my pullups were terrible but by just doing them they will increase.

Babybell

Reaction score
You should see if your gym (If you go that is.) has an assited pull up machine. Thats what I have been using to help work on my pull ups. Im around 80kg, so I set the equipment to take half of my weight then do 3 sets of 15-20.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to get down to your local gym and start trying to build your upper back muscles. Pull ups use a range of muscles, but are mainly about your upper back. At most gyms youll find a 'pull down' machine which is the same motion as pull ups but you can adjust your weight -enabling you to build your back muscles more and more.

THE ISH

Reaction score
Alright Lads!!

Just something else to bear in mind.

Im going into wk 11 when i go back after leave, when i started civvy training not RT 18 months ago i used to struggle with pull ups but like most of you have said just keep at it and you soon start banging them out if you keep them strict,

but dont worry to much about it because theres lads even in week 9 who struggle doing 6, also another weak point for most nods is hip flexors my advice would be to work hard on these because it helps you massiveley on the ropes,

i had half decent hip flexors because i used to do loads of leg raises amongst my pull up sets, if you dont work on them before you start RT you can practice them in youre accomadation block theres pull up bars on each floor but my advice would be do it before you get to ctc.

Hope this helps someone.

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate,

I've always been good at pull-ups because I have a strong upperbody but am lightweight, but the thing i have found to help me continually progress in doing more and more pull-ups is just constant pull-ups on anything that will hold my weight.
If im at work i cannot physically pass a scaffolding pole without 'extra phys' some pull-ups out *text deleted*
...and when i go out on runs if ther are any tree branches that look good whilst im resting ill hop up for a few pull ups..
but eventually obviously you will be able to do more and more, i can do more than 20 marine pull-ups comfortably now *text deleted* so i think the practice helps..
I would not advise the assisted pull-up thing at the gyms though.. you can end up using the assist for a lot longer than you need to and it basically does it for you if you set it incorrectly..

Hope this helps..

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i used to barely be able to do one as well, but what I did was keep doing 1 pull up. I kept at it, and eventually I found it easier to do 1 pull up. So i challenged my self to do 2 pullups! Needless to say, it was epic phail for me, but i didnt give up, I kept at it, and in no time I could do 2. So I repeated the whole process to do 3 pull ups.

You will probably find that as you are able to do more pull ups adding on another gets easier and easier, for example doing 1 preullup then doing another is harder than being able to do 10 pullups and adding on another. Its all relative to how much you can do in the first place. Not exactly sure why, it could purely be a psychological thing.

flump1

Reaction score
the best way of getting better at doind pull-ups its by doing pull-ups mate.