help with 1.5m and my new pb

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi lads,

well i got my 1.5 time down to 10:05 which i am really happy about today and not so out of breath as i was usually. *text deleted* its not amazing compared to all you others with like 8mins but hey i am happy.

i started circuit training at my local sports centre and heck it has done a good job considering i was avergaing 10:30-40 about 2weeks ago i have been to 2 sessions so far. weds-fri.

NEED HELP WITH YOUR TIME ---> join a local sports centre and see if there any classes avaliable it is definately worth it, its more ejoyable to train rather than just running and running.......and running.

*text deleted* im over the moon and back. a few more sessions and i will of cracked 10mins with ease.

thanks for reading,

CJ

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
fair play mate, keep cracking on. Do you mind me asking what you failed on in your first PJFT, what time did you get? Also, when do you think you will get your second one?

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
fair play mate, keep cracking on. Do you mind me asking what you failed on in your first PJFT, what time did you get? Also, when do you think you will get your second one?

failed on the time did the 2.4km run in 10:15seconds. however i am glad i never gave up i was going to call it quits at 2.0km but i stuck it out till the end.

i am hoping to get my next try in january for the new one.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dude did you not train before your PJFT? No offense but it's a no brainer to take your PJFT until you actually feel comfortable enough to complete it in 9.30 and I mean comfortable.

Also do you train on tredmill or on road? I use to train on the tredmill and my progress was little and slow, on road the progression is amazing when you compare it to the tredmill progression I was getting.

So that's my help, you wanted help now just take this advice. Please![/

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Dude did you not train before your PJFT? No offense but it's a no brainer to take your PJFT until you actually feel comfortable enough to complete it in 9.30 and I mean comfortable.

Also do you train on tredmill or on road? I use to train on the tredmill and my progress was little and slow, on road the progression is amazing when you compare it to the tredmill progression I was getting.

So that's my help, you wanted help now just take this advice. Please![/

road, and i did train just now i look back nowhere near enough *text deleted*

felt ok just messed up on the day i guess.

matured more since the last one i thought i could do it but hey i didn't plus this time i am definately more prepared with circuit classes and all that and plus i got my time down to the 10:05min mark which is good for me as i was getting 10:30-40 other weeks since my morale went through the floor after failing.

but i am stronger now and the penny has dropped and i know i need to train harder and it has paid off so far...

heck i am more wiser to it, and i ain't going to make a silly mistake like that again.

the motto failing to prepare is preparing to fail, is definately true. a messege to all others who think they can breeze the pjft, unless you can! don't make the same mistake it is not worth it.

ALSO what else should i include to get my running time down?
so far i do cicuits mon-wed-fri and tues and sat 3miler/1.5miler/sprints what ever i feel i want to do. thurs -sat rest days.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I first ran it on road at 13 minutes something (well bad)

second time ran it with a mate and i had water this time made it 12:30 (improvement)

Third time ran it with constant speed got it to 10 minutes

then after about 3 or 4 more runs i made it to 8 mins 47 secs

I find when u get a massive stitch u have to power through and finnish it this is what i like to call a pain barrier i've broken 2 the first one was doin the mile and a half then the next time i ran it i got my p.b which was the above time.

second one was first time i ran the 3 mile ran the last mile with that massive pain but nevertheless i finnished it.

i find if you have Water, Good shoes, Shorts, and right frame of mind to push through you will dramatically improve your time.

Avoid running where there are lots of roads to cross find like a big island or somethin so u dont have to worry about cars hitting you. gd luck *text deleted*

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
road, and i did train just now i look back nowhere near enough *text deleted*

felt ok just messed up on the day i guess.

matured more since the last one i thought i could do it but hey i didn't plus this time i am definately more prepared with circuit classes and all that and plus i got my time down to the 10:05min mark which is good for me as i was getting 10:30-40 other weeks since my morale went through the floor after failing.

but i am stronger now and the penny has dropped and i know i need to train harder and it has paid off so far...

heck i am more wiser to it, and i ain't going to make a silly mistake like that again.

the motto failing to prepare is preparing to fail, is definately true. a messege to all others who think they can breeze the pjft, unless you can! don't make the same mistake it is not worth it.

ALSO what else should i include to get my running time down?
so far i do cicuits mon-wed-fri and tues and sat 3miler/1.5miler/sprints what ever i feel i want to do. thurs -sat rest days.

at least you know where to improve and are mature enough to admit your mistakes. This experience should give you a kick up the backside and make you train even harder for the next one. You will really have to step it up a gear if you want to get up to PRMC standard mate.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
at least you know where to improve and are mature enough to admit your mistakes. This experience should give you a kick up the backside and make you train even harder for the next one. You will really have to step it up a gear if you want to get up to PRMC standard mate.

everyone has to start somewhere and i know i have a fair bit to do before ''PRMC standard'', but the experience of failing the pjft first time has made me want to crack on at a higher pace and that feeling of beating my time without becoming tired at the end has made me a better person.

do you find that beating your time makes you feel like your on top of the world? or anything like situps etc...?

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
everyone has to start somewhere and i know i have a fair bit to do before ''PRMC standard'', but the experience of failing the pjft first time has made me want to crack on at a higher pace and that feeling of beating my time without becoming tired at the end has made me a better person.

do you find that beating your time makes you feel like your on top of the world? or anything like situps etc...?

yeh i know what you mean, i got 9.35 on my PJFT and now i can smash 9 mins easy. It gives me a lot of confidence because:

1. I am getting fitter and fitter
2. I know i am training properly and sensibly

Also i have personally trained myself for the past 4 months and i don't have any experience in this sort of thing, i got a D in my GCSE PE *text deleted*. So that thought keeps me going.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* how did you get a D man, it was an easy subject i aint the brightest spark but *text deleted* i got a B in it.

i studied my ar*e off to get a B, and this other lad said i wish i had got an A* sulk sulk sulk.

don't you hate people that say *text deleted* i can't believe i got an A i am so dissapointed i wanted an A* (moan moan moan) arrrrghhhhhhhh i can't stand them!!!

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
to be honest mate i pissed about in school quite a lot, i've grown up a lot since then (even though its only been 3 years). But i've always been fit and i know how to train properly because i trained for athletics for a few years.

Yeh i've got a mate like that, he's the most clever git i know and when he gets 90% in his exams at Uni he always says 'i don't know how i managed that' ungrateful prat *text deleted*

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
with my set up at the moment of circuits mon/wed/fri and 3miler/sprints tues and sat, with thurs and sunday rest days. do you think i can get my time down to below 9:30?

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeh with that much training you should definitely. As long as they are intense, you should really try and push yourself outside of your comfort zone in the sprints and circuits because your CV fitness needs to be spot on. Do you do anything else? Swim, cycle, row, weights etc?

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How old are you mate? (CommandoJ)
Depending on your pressups etc, you might want to vary it a bit more, say, take one circuit away and replace it with a specific upper body dedicated session. Circuits are good, but I'd say that 3 a week may be detrimental when compared to say two circuits a week and an alternative workout.

Maybe vary the distance of the runs a bit as well.
Just my thoughts though, personaly preference and all.

Currently I'm below standards I'd like to be, so I've stepped my training up in the midweek, and weekends isn't too strenuous:

Monday: 1.5 or 3.3 mile road run avec hills.
Tuesday: Hour in the school gym, upper body or rower. After school: either rowing session or rest for Wednesday.
Wednesday: Morning, half hour in gym, upper body or rower or 1.5 miler on treadmill.
Afternoon, 2 hours rowing on the water, coached, so intense.
After school, 1 1/2 hour mma session, generally works as an all body muscle endurance workout, triceps, chest, back, legs.
Thursday: half hour in gym in afternoon, possibly a run at lunch time, after school, probably rowing.
Friday: Rest day, or if Sunday is acting as rest day, 1 1/2 hour mma session
Saturday: 4 hour rowing session on water in morning, or 2 hour mma session.
Sunday: 2 hour mma session, or rest day.

I think ym problem is time management and other commitments, I'm rehearsing the school production of Les Mis *text deleted*, which is great fun, but takes away from rowing. Also, if in mma I take a bad kick to the leg, it might mean I can't run for a couple of days, or some awkward blocks and my shoulders go bad...

Grr! Once the school production is finished (In a month) I'll be back into 11 sessions a week. Application soon! Before december....

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
dj1uk3 - yes i cycle and swim to usually 30mins to an hour on each.
the circuits i do push my self a lot in this, after all were not training for the girl guides! *text deleted*
i enjoy all the things i do in the week. however there is one problem of the upper body in the circuits we do

_____________________>_____________________________________
WEIGHTS
s *------->
t
n
i--------------------------------------------<and back
r
p
s

_______________________<______________________________
ON HERE IT CAN BE PRESSUPS/SHOULDER DIPS OR W/E

THEN AT THE END WILL WORK ON ABS (NOT ANTI LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM) *text deleted*

ALL OF THE EXERCISE ARE DONE FOR 1 MIN MAX EFFORT AND MOVE ROUND SO ALL ARE DONE TWICE FOR A TOTAL OF 2 MINS IN EACH ZONE, 8 MINS TOTAL.

NOTE ALL VARIETS ARE USUALLY IMPLIDE TO THE SECOND TIME ROUND.

*skipping on far wall.

anything else you can reccomned like for the sprints and that when im in the park,

reccomended sets etc...
and same for pressups and situps thanks.

D-O-G --- i am 17.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just remember that it'll mean more to you if you work for it harder...

Don't give up buddy....it'll be well worth it!