help with press ups

gareth17

Reaction score
Hi

I have only two weeks untill my PRMC and i am worried i am not doing the prees ups right, i think i might get knocked back with the amount i do. At the moment i can manage about 60ish in two minutes but my father says i am going to fast, he says i am not locking out my arms and my body is not straight. Can someone give me some advise as i dont want to go down and mess up.

thanks gareth

smallzy

Reaction score
i didn't realise you had to lock your arms out, i assumed that was bad for your joints.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps if you are afraid if you might be doing your pressups wrong you should try analyzing it. get a friend you are comfortable with to watch you and tell you whats wrong, or film yourself and analyze from there.

What you absolutely must do when doing pressups is keep your back straight. In fact, this is so important I have to say this again: KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT!

The reason behind this is because if you let your back sag down and drag, it causes you to only 'lift' the upper half of your body, instead of your whole body. This is because your feet and lower legs instead of your arms are supporting your lower part of your body while your back isn't rigid. If your back is rigid you will probably find it much more difficult than if you have a floppy bent back. However, this is good because it is always better to do something right, no matter how crap you are, than to do something wrong.

It is also better to do slow pressups, right from where your nose and bellybutton is on the floor to as high as you can. Hold for a couple secs, then lower yourself SLOWLY. You will also impress your dad!

good luck with the PRMC, put your heart into it.