Help with pressups

Ibby

Reaction score
So I've been doing gainers from my gym tests and have seen some improvement however im hiting around 30 pressups to the beep and i feel as if im not engaging the right muscles as i just tend to feel it in my chest and i was under the impression that these tend to target the triceps? My prmc is about 7 weeks away does anyone have any suggestions? *text deleted* i am keeping my elbows tucked in and hand shoulder width apart if not closer

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there mate
I found the bench press improves my press ups; as well as trying to do as many as possible.

As for form? I think if you ‘push forward’ if tha makes sense, you know you’re doing it right

Ibby

Reaction score
Thanks mate i'll try that and pushing forward do you mean like bringing your body more forward as you lower yourseld down?

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Might just be as simple as your chest is weaker than triceps, even with the correct form your chest will still be used just to a lesser extent than wide arm pressups

I found doing constant tension press-ups helped me the most (always moving down or up so a slower tempo) as when I went back to doing the down/up fast so I got a rest at the top before the beep, I maxed it easily

Ibby

Reaction score
Might just be as simple as your chest is weaker than triceps, even with the correct form your chest will still be used just to a lesser extent than wide arm pressups

I found doing constant tension press-ups helped me the most (always moving down or up so a slower tempo) as when I went back to doing the down/up fast so I got a rest at the top before the beep, I maxed it easily

Okay nice one mate im *text deleted* start doing them under tension and whack out some bench press

How did you find improving the pull ups?

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mate i'll try that and pushing forward do you mean like bringing your body more forward as you lower yourseld down?

That’s it, mate.
Another thing which a lot of people neglect (myself included); there’s a habit of us holding our hands straight when, in fact, they should be turned slightly inwards to ensure elbows go the right way.

Press ups are a swine to get right but once you’ve got the form? They come along.

Ibby

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my hands as straight as possible, I'll correct the form it'll probably help *text deleted*

KenDoll

Reaction score
I am using Sean Lerwills rest pause method, and I'm currently averaging 45 press ups to the bleep. Working to failure may get those muscles firing as others fatigue? Maybe...

Just my method of choice and enjoy doing it