Help with Running Plan ?

johno4

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I know this topics probably been done to death

But would anyone be able to give me some pointers on how I should properly structure my running plan if I run 3 times a week ?

If I do something like:

Run 1 Wednesday - Hill Sprints ?? (What should these consist of ?)
Run 2 Friday - Longer Slower Run (10km)
Run 3 Sunday - Tempo \ Intervals ??
(What should these consist of ?)

I have just been doing 5km & 10km runs so far. I can currently do a 5k in about 25 mins. So I've still got a bit of work to do. I'm just not really sure how I should be structuring my weekly running plan so I can start making some real improvements.

Cheers

Kilo_Corleone

Reaction score

I like the session from Arny’s plan for hill sprints and you can adjust different parts of it if you’re not ready for the whole thing yet:

Hill sprint day is a massive hang out lads.

Warm up. 10 mins at 8 min/mile

20 x 100-150m hill sprints. Walk down. Make fire the hill is steep as *text deleted*text deleted*text deleted* lads, do them in sets of 5, but on the second and third set, to do 10 squat, 10 lunge after each hill sprint. Walk round for 5 mins at the end, then run 3 miles as fast as you can using endomondo. Aim for 7:30 min/mile. You leg strength and muscle endurance, will sky rocket, helping you for bottom feild/endurance course.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I know this topics probably been done to death

But would anyone be able to give me some pointers on how I should properly structure my running plan if I run 3 times a week ?

If I do something like:

Run 2 Friday - Longer Slower Run (10km)
Run 3 Sunday - Tempo \ Intervals ??
(What should these consist of ?)

I have just been doing 5km & 10km runs so far. I can currently do a 5k in about 25 mins. So I've still got a bit of work to do. I'm just not really sure how I should be structuring my weekly running plan so I can start making some real improvements.

Cheers

Id concentrate on your weaknesses first and finish the week with hill sprints just before your recovery days.
So something like..

Monday - 3 miler best effort or in your case trying to get your m/m down to get below 25min , I find it easier to improve your times if over a shorter distance so 3/4 miles is to set yourself a pace for each mile which if you stick to will improve your times! I know you need endurance to be able to run faster but you need to be able to run at quicker paces and be used to it to lower the times.
If you have a garmin watch do your first and second mile in 8.30 m/m then gives you 8min to break the 25min 3 miler on your last mile. As you get better then try do each mile in 8 m/m which will give you 24min and so fourth.
Once you get used to running at those mile paces then add an extra mile.

Wednesday - Just do a slow run so 5/6 miles at around 9/9.30 m/m just to keep the legs moving and not trying to kill yourself so it’s just to build the endurance with a few hills in there will be even better.

Friday - Finish the week with the hardest session so if you have the Saturday and Sunday off make this session the killer! So lots of sprints/hills just short format workouts so things like sprint 100m jog 30 seconds repeat 5 times , 100m hill sprint up and then a slow jog back down repeat 5 times then rest for a few minutes.

I expect your bleep test score isn’t to high if your 3 miler is 25min? Work on getting this time down as close to 20/21min as possible so even on the odd day go out and see how fast you can run 1 mile and this will give a good indication of what you need to work on.
Try just 2 mile speed runs also you might be able to do them both in 7.30 m/m and it all might just be a mental block!

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My advice would be to look into the 80/20 style of running. I've noticed a huge difference from simply just slowing down.

But for your question hill sprints are what it says on the tin. Find a hill sprint up it walk/jog down repeat. I'd throw in maybe 2 or 3 miles each side for a warmup and cooldown personally aswell.

Tempo running is a bit tricky to work out the pace. I judge mine as been uncomfortably comfortable. I imagine it to be the pace I could hold for an hour. Or in racing terms people use tempo pace as their goal pace or slightly faster. And its usually padded out with a slow warm up and cooldown.

My weekly tempo run usually is 15-20 minutes at 9 min miles. 30 min at about 6:40 then 15-20 at 9 min miles. And I've based the tempo pace of my goal of a 6:52 half marathon pace

Alot of improving times and running quicker is done at slow easy miles where your body is still making the adaptations and improvements but because your going slow you can go longer and reap more benefit. Then it also means when you do your 20% or your harder sessions you arent fatigued and can go all in on these. I dont understand the exact science behind it of how it all works but I've read into it and can say it's working with me

I also notice doing alot more slow mileage builds a nice injury buffer as your body is used to the grind.

Again. I'm by no means a good runner or an expert it's just a method might be worth looking in to.