Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Help with training

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by thefisherbuy, Apr 1, 2019.

1. thefisherbuy

thefisherbuy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all,

Just joined today, for a bit of background about 1.5yrs ago decided to ditch the couch potato lifestyle and have currently lost 90lbs from 290lbs to 200lbs currently (19years old 6’5) so I’ve given myself a 1yr from now or slightly more if needed to get into the fittest I could be, (lost majority of the weight with good nutrition, weights/cardio) I think I will need to drop maybe two stone or so in the year as I’m having some troubles with body weight exercises, pushups/pull-ups are my main big problems,
    How can I increase my reps for pushups? Should I do x amount for a day, any sort of program that starts slowly and slowly progresses as my pushups amount at the moment is pathetic!
    Also pullups I moved to a new gym that I’m nearly sure has an assisted push-up machine should I try or anything else I should try?
    Also cardio I need to get the time down a bit I can do 12.5km on rough/and then tarmac in 13min 10secs.
    Currently been doing running wise
    3x5.5km which I think isnt a enough(starting off), maybe should I include a 8/9km or longer jog/walk in with the 3 shorter ones? I do think I need focus on improving stamina etc. what do you guys think any advice maybe I should go longer?
    I also train in the gym hit all the main parts of the body chest/back/shoulders/traps/bis/tris etc , only training legs once a week but I think I should train them twice aswell?
    Really dedicated to get my times down and increase my reps with them certain exercises,
    What advice you think I should be doing? I’m currently cutting at the moment, sorry if it’s alot of text just thought I’d give out a good bit of info, is there anything else I’m forgetting and should be doing? Thanks very much for reading, any help would be great

2. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Well done on losing what you have so far!

Your bmi is 23.5 so that’s a good bmi to have so just depends what your overall body feels like with regards to the fitness.

I know how you feel when it comes to the body weight exercises I’m only 5.8 but currently just under 16 stone which is 3 stone to heavy and way over on BMI and this effects all exercises for me!
    When I got down to 12 stone 7 I couldn’t do a pull up previously but all body exercises changed and running felt so much easier with of course bein lighter so makes sense.
    With regards to pull-ups if I was you I would purchase a resistance band a few different weight versions will help also as there not very expensive and will help you massively as this is how I started and within time was able to go from 0 to 3 might not seem a lot but it’s a massive confidence boost at the same time showing the progression.
    The pull-up machines I find them pointless if I’m honest I didn’t get any benefits from it same with the lat pulldown machine didn’t help me.

I started using the resistance bands on my pull-up bar I have in my doorframe you get from Argos which could be handy for you as you out your knee through it so your height won’t be to much of an issue.
    I also started doing strength training such as bicep curls and inverted rows not with heavy weights only between the 12kg and 20kg range but it was to strengthen the muscles used in body weight exercises.

Keep what your doing in the diet it’s doing great so keep at it and you’ll get there in no time!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Best advice i got was to sack off all the isolation movements. Bicep curls, Side Delt raises etc do absolutely nothing for you in terms of military prep. Sure its good to look good, but how good do you look failing out of the PRMC because you've been working delts whilst they've been running and doing pull ups.

Run. And if you're going to lift, target the areas that helps you run. Focus on your core, focus on your leg endurance and focus on anything that will help you get better pull ups, sit ups and push ups. Then run some more.

For cardio the best i found was mixing it up. Whilst running long distances puts the miles on your legs its the shorter burst exercises that really makes you run things faster. Hill sprints unfortunately are the best (and they suck) and interval training helps loads too. Normally i do them and at the end of the week ill do a longer easier run to just add some miles and slowly work out the stiffness.

Arny put up an amazing plan that people swear by but its an absolute ball buster if you're just starting out. If you just go onto training part of this forum it's pinned. Definitely look at that and once youre competent in all areas i'd defo stick to that in the run up to any entrance tests you have etc.

Whilst i'm working up to everything and being able to consistently do arnys plan, i do 'gainers ' too. This is where you just do 3 sets of each exercise (pull up, push up, sit up) and increase by 1 rep of 1 set by day. so if you're doing 10 press ups in each set, the next day its 11, 10,10 then next day its 11,11,10 etc etc. It's a good way of slowly building it up if you're struggling. Yeah its slow progress daily but imagine what that will look like in a year!

My pull ups are garbage so i used the assisted machine. I don't think it gives the best kind of training towards proper form of a pull up so i moved away from it. The best i found was reverses which is when you start at the top of the pull up and lower yourself down to the original starting position as slow as possible. Stand on a box or jump up each set to the top of the movement. Then just repeat. Eventually try pull yourself up maybe once a set etc then youll find itl build up to consistent pull ups.

Core also sucks so i just target that daily with planks and reverse sit ups etc aswel.

Consistency and slow progression is key to this. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. thefisherbuy

thefisherbuy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Good luck with the weight loss!
    lost my weight a bit too fast but oh well!I also tried intermittent fasting on the cut and really enjoyed it still at it now too!

Also cheers for the resistance bands I'll go an order a few of em in different strengths.
    I think For my frame and size strength is the thing lacking in a sense I think did lose some muscle on the cut down which does happen with every cut etc. Cheers for the pullup advice and everything else, Have plenty of time to get some really good training in before applying!

5. thefisherbuy

thefisherbuy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks very much for the advice
    Especially about the isolation movements that will be changed.
    In my leg workout Have the normal, Squat, Dead lift,Leg Press,Romain Dead lift, and a few more isolation's which are just there. Luckily I do live near a Very steep incline hill i mean very steep, That I go up every run on the 5.5km run. Had a look at arnys before posting looked very intensive dont think i could stick to it at the moment (hopefully in the future)
    I think Ill do sit ups/push ups and do the gainers do you notice any plateaus rep wise ? ?Ill start off with 10, and do what you said!!
    I think I will try what you said the reverses and the Bands for pull ups also. I do some core workout in my back/chest day so should be sorted I reckon!

For running I think I will Stick to some plan for a few weeks. I can only jog at the moment for 3km, before taking a break. I think I'll stick with the 5.5km for this week all going well I will try a 7km, start off with stretches.
    then walk half a km, jog for 3km then half a km walking and run the remaining 3km.
    week 1 5.5km x3, 1x9km jog/run
    week 2 5.5km x2, 1x7km, 1x9km jog/run
    Ill keep to this and slowly get on 7km as my base and slowly upgrade my kms or less every week what do you reckon, or is it a bit too much already? I guess i wont know till i really push myself on the run.

Cheers for the advice lads appreciated.