Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Help with weight/muscle gain

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by future-commando, May 21, 2020.

1. future-commando

future-commando Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all,

I've been trying to gain weight and build muscle but I'm am struggling with options!

I have gained about 4kg of weight in the past 3 months I'm currently 69kg. However my frame is very small and building muscle is extremely difficult. My arms are small along with my chest etc. Although I have gained a small amount of weight and you can feel my arms are stronger on my biceps and triceps I haven't had any real improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to effectively gain ideally another 10kg factoring in I do alot of cardio as well.

Any suggestions on building upper body strength other than press ups and pull ups? In terms of press ups what sort of rep/sets should I be doing for someone of my shape.

Note* I'm not trying to look like a body builder I'm just concerned with my current body shape being small, that I'm going to seriously struggle in RT with carrying lots of kit etc...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think the simple answer is: eat more. And if that doesn't work, then eat even more. I found that tracking my calories (both in and out) helped a lot with my weight gain. I recommend MyFitnessPal for your food and Endomondo for tracking calories burned in your workouts, but I'm sure there's hundreds of apps that do the same job.

If you're really struggling, then there's always GOMAD. Though I've heard mixed things.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Your above the 65kg minimum so your okay there!

In all honesty it depends what you’re currently like with your running times and press/pullups what are you getting currently?

If your getting good scores with bodyweight exercises and your running times are good I wouldn’t change anything!
    Some people just can’t put on weight no matter how much they try then there’s others who are natural big builds and jut can’t shed it without it effecting them in one way or another.

Me Im just over 90kgs (14 stoneish) which I’m strong at and load carrying I have no issues with but when it comes to manipulating my body when it comes to pullups I really do struggle and doing longer cardio sessions which end up being anywhere up to 5 miles in total I start to feel the added weight which is why I’ve came down from 16 stone but still need to lose more as running is so much more important I beleave for what’s needed.

If you put on to much weight/muscle and your body isn’t used to it will effect you in one way or another as I said tho it just depends where your at with your current stats.

Can’t really give any figures on what you need to be doing reps wise unless people know where your at currently with it?

10kg is 1 1/2 and that is alot to put on if you don’t need it!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. future-commando

future-commando Active Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I definitely need the extra mass if anything as my build is to small. That extra weight I can convert into muscle. Cardio is fine. My run times vary but I would say best effort I'm passing entry tests. Press ups I can achieve 30 at a push but I'm slowly improving. Sit ups vary but again they are improving, 40/50 is best effort currently. Pull ups I can only do 1 and that is my biggest worry. Carrying weight I can do but I get a bad back. I think I need a bit more weight to work with as muscle building is very difficult for me.

5. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    How tall are you?

It’s good that your getting those stats have you tried the bft? (3 mile run)
    You seem to be doing the right things as your stats are improving but I think carrying weight is one of those things that you don’t pick up over night and some people just find certain things easier than others wether or be running , bodyweight exercises or just the cold and wet in general I guess that’s where the digging in comes into.
    I wouldn’t start protein shakes as there pointless as there not aloud you could just focus on having a lot more protein daily so eggs/full fat milk etc? and doing more strength training to try build your weight up with muscle but to the point it doesn’t effect your overall fitness as muscle is good and bad for different things so just *text deleted* bear that in mind.

6. Welshy

Welshy Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Drop me a message lad

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jammiedodgers1

Jammiedodgers1 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Wouldn't worry about how you look mate, if you perform during the tests and smash them then you'll be fine :D

That being said I used to really struggle with gaining weight even though I could run well and do pushups/pullups no problem.

Eating frequently, stuff loaded with carbs & protein would help. Go to meal is either bagels with cream cheese and salmon or cheesy chicken pasta (both easy enough to make an cheap as).
    Eggs with cheese and ham, load up on weetabix with full fat milk, peanut butter on toast. All good stuff that would help pack on a decent amount.

Good luck mate!

• Like Like x 1