help with workout

user12345

Reaction score
hey everyone i was just wondering if someone could tell me if i was training enough i am currently following arnys and my current daily workout goes as followed.

warmup
Vpjft+
the RM gym tests 3 times
Vpjft+
stretchout

and sometimes add a grizz pyhs.if someone could help me i would be grateful.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hey everyone i was just wondering if someone could tell me if i was training enough i am currently following arnys and my current daily workout goes as followed.

warmup
Vpjft+
the RM gym tests 3 times
Vpjft+
stretchout

and sometimes add a grizz pyhs.if someone could help me i would be grateful.

Hey fella welcome!

Do you do that workout daily?
Think you need to give more in depth on what your overall fitness is like to as in your running distance and times aswell as your bodyweight exercise scores and stuff as people will be able to give better advice going off that.

user12345

Reaction score
Hey yes i do but i also do extra like grizz pyhs and extra endurance circuits.i can complete the vpjft+ 3 times back to back and get an average of push up in the higher tier and situps the same.my 1.5 mile return time is good however i haven't been able to do much running due to an injury but my best 5k time is 18min i also do arnys plan so i do hill sprints and add a fintan circuit.

thank you for your response.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Just want to confirm a couple of things so that we can give sound advice. When you say you complete the VPJFT 3 times back to back, in my mind that means 9 rounds total (or 45minutes total training doing the VPJFT)

Also, the 5k time is 18min. That’s give or take a 5’50” min/mile. Based on your 5k pace you should be running a 8’40” 1.5 miler.

When you say upper tier for press ups and sit ups, do you mean 50-60 reps for press ups and 75-85 reps for sit ups and are these done to the beep?

If these numbers are accurate then I think we may need to take some advice from you instead! Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood anything in here mate. English is my second language and I only use it in self defence;)

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey yes i do but i also do extra like grizz pyhs and extra endurance circuits.i can complete the vpjft+ 3 times back to back and get an average of push up in the higher tier and situps the same.my 1.5 mile return time is good however i haven't been able to do much running due to an injury but my best 5k time is 18min i also do arnys plan so i do hill sprints and add a fintan circuit.

That’s no worries

I don’t mean to overreact or jump to conclusions here but...

You do 6 sets of the vPJFT and 3 lots of the rm gym tests a day!?
You can do the vPJFT back to back 3 times!?

Are these all done correctly as in to the correct audio(beep) or is it in your own time?

I genuinely don’t know if your trolling or not but I’d happily pay to see you do the vPJFT back to back 3 times!

user12345

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Just want to confirm a couple of things so that we can give sound advice. When you say you complete the VPJFT 3 times back to back, in my mind that means 9 rounds total (or 45minutes total training doing the VPJFT)

Also, the 5k time is 18min. That’s give or take a 5’50” min/mile. Based on your 5k pace you should be running a 8’40” 1.5 miler.

When you say upper tier for press ups and sit ups, do you mean 50-60 reps for press ups and 75-85 reps for sit ups and are these done to the beep?

If these numbers are accurate then I think we may need to take some advice from you instead! Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood anything in here mate. English is my second language and I only use it in self defence;)
hi thank you for your awnser yes i have done a 18 min 5k but on average i get 20min and i find it hard to pace my self for the 4.8km run as i go too quick on the first 2.4 and then burn out.for push ups i am quite a light lad so i find them natrualy and do them to bleep with form and sit ups the same.and for the gym test yeah but i have a break in between like 5 min per set of push ups and etc

thanks again for the awnser

user12345

Reaction score
That’s no worries

I don’t mean to overreact or jump to conclusions here but...

You do 6 sets of the vPJFT and 3 lots of the rm gym tests a day!?
You can do the vPJFT back to back 3 times!?

Are these all done correctly as in to the correct audio(beep) or is it in your own time?

I genuinely don’t know if your trolling or not but I’d happily pay to see you do the vPJFT back to back 3 times!
thank you just would like to say that i do get a bit sloppy towards the end of the last vpjft but just fatigue really.

and if it means anything i am not trolling

thank you for your response :)

user12345

Reaction score
would just like to add that this is my workout for the time being without running due to an injury and probably lower the amount i think i have just been working hard latley because i feel like i need to make up for the loss of running.:)

Chelonian

Reaction score
As an interested observer, the hardest part of three sets of VPJFT back-to-back must surely be ensuring that fatigue does not compromise the exacting standard of form required? Difficult to achieve without a very diligent spotter I'd guess.

I should add that I have not done a VPJFT nor do I have any intention of doing one.

user12345

Reaction score
As an interested observer, the hardest part of three sets of VPJFT back-to-back must surely be ensuring that fatigue does not compromise the exacting standard of form required? Difficult to achieve without a very diligent spotter I'd guess.

I should add that I have not done a VPJFT nor do I have any intention of doing one.
hey thanks for the response,yeah i do get what you mean but its not like its the whole three sets that are hard to maintain the form its mainly the last one and then its not terrible form its still good enough just not as strict in my own opinion.

thanks for the reply if you have anything else feel free to ask. :)

user12345

Reaction score
can i just ask if anyone has any good advice to get back into running after an injury slowly.e.g lowering the volume?

Chelonian

Reaction score
can i just ask if anyone has any good advice to get back into running after an injury

As one who perpetually seems to be recovering from injury I'd say that the nature of the injury is a key factor. Difficult to generalise.

Confidence is an important factor. And don't assume that "pushing through" an injury is always the best solution even if one's instinct is to do so.

B

Blackers

Some very dodgy or impressive timings here. My top tip with any phys plan is to always aim to become stronger.
Once upon a time I attended UKSF selection. Don’t worry- I failed!! But a key point I picked up on was to improve yomp/tab ability, you must get stronger! When you add strength, the less the load taxes your 1RM, allowing more energy reserves for subsequent tasks post March.
The same concept applies to press ups. The stronger you are, the less the load (in this case - your body) taxes you, and therefore you can move it up and down more times.
My advice therefore, is to add load to your press up or turn onto your back and get stronger by bench press and complimentary secondary exercises. There are minimal differences in kinematics and muscle activation between the two exercises. With the bench you can safely add more load and work in percentages which contribute to strength improvement. The core must contribute significantly as the load is increased. If your 1rm bench press is 100kg, then you can bench 50kg more times than someone with a 70kg 1rm. So if 2 people weigh 80kg, both with the same training age and technique (comes with time and also important) the stronger person will be able to perform more press ups as their ability to move 80kg will tax them less. Hopefully that makes sense. In other words aim to get strong.
When it comes to phys keep it simple and do the basics well.

user12345

Reaction score
Some very dodgy or impressive timings here. My top tip with any phys plan is to always aim to become stronger.
Once upon a time I attended UKSF selection. Don’t worry- I failed!! But a key point I picked up on was to improve yomp/tab ability, you must get stronger! When you add strength, the less the load taxes your 1RM, allowing more energy reserves for subsequent tasks post March.
The same concept applies to press ups. The stronger you are, the less the load (in this case - your body) taxes you, and therefore you can move it up and down more times.
My advice therefore, is to add load to your press up or turn onto your back and get stronger by bench press and complimentary secondary exercises. There are minimal differences in kinematics and muscle activation between the two exercises. With the bench you can safely add more load and work in percentages which contribute to strength improvement. The core must contribute significantly as the load is increased. If your 1rm bench press is 100kg, then you can bench 50kg more times than someone with a 70kg 1rm. So if 2 people weigh 80kg, both with the same training age and technique (comes with time and also important) the stronger person will be able to perform more press ups as their ability to move 80kg will tax them less. Hopefully that makes sense. In other words aim to get strong.
When it comes to phys keep it simple and do the basics well.

thank you so much this is the type of help i was wanting so your main tip is to get strong,i am getting a benchpress actually do you have any recommendations?

do you also have any more exercise that will increase strength?

user12345

Reaction score
my workout from the other day

200 push ups decline

200 sit ups

200 burpees

vpjft mock

some dumbell work

todays workout

200 burpees
200 decline pressups
200 situps

and a 3mile 2nd one back from injury got 22:39 shocking time as before my pb was 18:00 5k but its good enough to get the time back down.

any tips to get my time down faster?

thanks

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my workout from the other day

200 push ups decline

200 sit ups

200 burpees

vpjft mock

some dumbell work

todays workout

200 burpees
200 decline pressups
200 situps

and a 3mile 2nd one back from injury got 22:39 shocking time as before my pb was 18:00 5k but its good enough to get the time back down.

any tips to get my time down faster?

thanks

If your best 5k was 18.00 which is lighting fast then just do what you did previously to get that time as the majority of people on here could only dream of doing a 5k in that time!

user12345

Reaction score
If your best 5k was 18.00 which is lighting fast then just do what you did previously to get that time as the majority of people on here could only dream of doing a 5k in that time!
*text deleted* just asking about recovery as my first training injury how to get back into the groove.

should i take it easy or go harder?

thanks for the response