help with workout

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* just asking about recovery as my first training injury how to get back into the groove.

should i take it easy or go harder?

thanks for the response
Depends why you got injured in the first place was you doing to much or just hurt yourself?

user12345

Reaction score
What was your routine before you injured yourself and what did you injure/how did you injure urself?
i did a 10k every other day apart from Sunday wich i would do a half marathon or more then a workout everyday apart from wed and sat.

injured heel

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i did a 10k every other day apart from Sunday wich i would do a half marathon or more then a workout everyday apart from wed and sat.

injured heel
I would say that is alot but of course it goes down to how long you’ve been running and how used you are to the mileage?
Theres a few people I know in my area who do a lot of ironman and triathlons etc and I’ve followed their running routines and they run 10+ miles 5/6 days a week and at quick pace also but as said it’s what your used to and you can get injured any time.
Maybe just stick to what your training for and not go crazy with the miles as your not going to be doing any half marathons in training!

Chelonian

Reaction score
@user12345 Arguably you're not so much "doing too much" as not planning enough recovery/rest in your phys schedule. Training can be as intense as you want it to be but recovery and rest is equally as important as putting in the miles. Rest and recovery is not heresy; it's an integral part of an intelligent phys regime.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
I second what @Chelonian says! Up until recently, especially when it came to running, I just went out and hit the tarmac based on what I felt like on the day. If I was lazy and didn’t feel like covering long distance I would just convince myself that a short 3 miler at a good pace would do. I could never make sense of why my running wasn’t improving how I wanted it to.

Then I got a Garmin, started planning my runs, ran in Heart Rate zones and pace zones as apposed to just running balls to the wall. Started doing less best effort 1.5milers and started doing long slow (8:30mm) 8-10milers and since then my running has improved massively.

I’m still not a racing snake like some of the boys on here, but I am aware of the fact that I won’t show up to ROP as the strongest runner there, but I’ll make up for it in other areas.

Priorities rest and recovery. You will see more benefit from doing 3-4 well planned runs and having a good amount of rest than you would doing 5-6 hard runs in a week.

user12345

Reaction score
I would say that is alot but of course it goes down to how long you’ve been running and how used you are to the mileage?
Theres a few people I know in my area who do a lot of ironman and triathlons etc and I’ve followed their running routines and they run 10+ miles 5/6 days a week and at quick pace also but as said it’s what your used to and you can get injured any time.
Maybe just stick to what your training for and not go crazy with the miles as your not going to be doing any half marathons in training!
thanks for the response yeah i have noticed i don't need to be doing crazy amounts of running as now im following any’s tomorrow which i was supposed to do a few months ago before my injury although i still used to do alot of the things on it like hill sprints. :)

user12345

Reaction score
would just like opinions of my new workout

200 burpees
200 situps
200 decline pushups
vpjft mock
and some dumbell work

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Mate, this seems to be the same workout you’ve posted a few times on here?

Here is my opinion: Look at which areas you will be required to perform in once you’re tested (vPJFT and RT). Then build a plan around that, or use Arny’s plan that’s available on here.
If you feel like Arny’s plan isn’t tough enough for you then increase sets/reps/run times etc. to make it more challenging.

Make sure you’re meeting the criteria expected of you (maximums, NOT MINIMUMS) and make sure you are flexible and mobile to prevent injury. That’s that.

There is no perfect plan, you will never be fit enough and you can’t train for every single thing.

user12345

Reaction score
Mate, this seems to be the same workout you’ve posted a few times on here?

Here is my opinion: Look at which areas you will be required to perform in once you’re tested (vPJFT and RT). Then build a plan around that, or use Arny’s plan that’s available on here.
If you feel like Arny’s plan isn’t tough enough for you then increase sets/reps/run times etc. to make it more challenging.

Make sure you’re meeting the criteria expected of you (maximums, NOT MINIMUMS) and make sure you are flexible and mobile to prevent injury. That’s that.

There is no perfect plan, you will never be fit enough and you can’t train for every single thing.
i use arnys plan to but havent been able to due to an injury and i cant find the workout for arnys

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
would just like opinions of my new workout

200 burpees
200 situps
200 decline pushups
vpjft mock
and some dumbell work
Same with your running workout dude.

You can achieve an 18.00 5k max scores near enough on all bodyweight exercises and the vPJFT 3 times in a row just stick to what you’ve been doing all along no reason to change anything at all!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Some of these numbers are blowing my mind. Without it sounding too cocky, having been in training before and now hitting max scores across the RMFA tests and been told on vPJFT "that's the strongest I've seen" (rare big chuck up i was chuffed with) I still can't fathom completing the session you've described without significantly sacrificing form at some point. To combine that level of strength and conditioning with those run times too is phenomenal.

By no means do I consider myself some phys god and I don't like being a neighsayer but I genuinely am interested in what your phys background is. Have you been a high-level athlete? Or competed in CrossFit or something similar? How old are you out of interest too?

PMP_25

Reaction score
Some very dodgy or impressive timings here. My top tip with any phys plan is to always aim to become stronger.
Once upon a time I attended UKSF selection. Don’t worry- I failed!! But a key point I picked up on was to improve yomp/tab ability, you must get stronger! When you add strength, the less the load taxes your 1RM, allowing more energy reserves for subsequent tasks post March.
The same concept applies to press ups. The stronger you are, the less the load (in this case - your body) taxes you, and therefore you can move it up and down more times.
My advice therefore, is to add load to your press up or turn onto your back and get stronger by bench press and complimentary secondary exercises. There are minimal differences in kinematics and muscle activation between the two exercises. With the bench you can safely add more load and work in percentages which contribute to strength improvement. The core must contribute significantly as the load is increased. If your 1rm bench press is 100kg, then you can bench 50kg more times than someone with a 70kg 1rm. So if 2 people weigh 80kg, both with the same training age and technique (comes with time and also important) the stronger person will be able to perform more press ups as their ability to move 80kg will tax them less. Hopefully that makes sense. In other words aim to get strong.
When it comes to phys keep it simple and do the basics well.
That's some quality advice @Blackers ! I think a establishing a good balance between muscular endurance & strength training is something that is important. I would say that also as heavier weights are lifted the more on the ball with your mobility you should be too, what do you reckon chaps? for me, mobility is definitely an area i need to work on in my training anyway

Partridge

Reaction score
That's some quality advice @Blackers ! I think a establishing a good balance between muscular endurance & strength training is something that is important. I would say that also as heavier weights are lifted the more on the ball with your mobility you should be too, what do you reckon chaps? for me, mobility is definitely an area i need to work on in my training anyway
For me i always do a mobility warm up before i start my gym session usually between 10 minutes but for me it's really important when lifting weights especially going heavy and overall just makes me feel like i can lift better. I would really advice anyone here to do a nice mobility warm up before starting your gym session as it's super beneficial and just makes you feel a whole lot better.

PMP_25

Reaction score
@Partridge Nice one mate! The concept of stretching is very simple, however piecing together a small routine of stretches specific to the workout ahead, for me, is where it gets a little confusing, especially with the amount of info you can find here on the web! Are there any particular websites, books or advice/stretches you would suggest that will help prepare an individual wanting to add more mobility based stuff into their gym routine?

I think as well that, ultimately it doesn't need to be as complicated as some people think it has to be, and really is just a case of firing up the appropriate muscles, to prepare them for the stress you are about to punish them with!!

However i am no expert, so of course open to any corrections/more in depth answers!!

Last edited:

Partridge

Reaction score
@PMP_25 What i done before i started routinely stretching for my workouts was just watching youtube videos and reading stuff on mobility exercises and stretches for certain parts of the body and then kind of just pieced different stretches from different videos and created a quick routine with them and just kind of stuck with it. I had different routines for different gym sessions so if i was doing chest/triceps i'd do stretches to activate my chest , elbows and do that for just quick 10 minutes before your work out.

If i was you i'd just watch some videos mobility exercises and stretches for legs for example and try them and pick the ones you like as that's what i did because some of the stretches just feel nicer than others so personal preference i guess.

PMP_25

Reaction score
@Partridge Appreciate all the info above, I think you're right, and the best thing to do seems to just dig deep into youtube and learn as much as possible and take your pick from what you've learned.

Once the mobility route is boxed off, would you then go straight into working sets or do you go through a few light warm up sets first? Usually i do a few warm up sets and then get into it. However the levels of warm up people deem appropriate seem to be very subjective, ive seen one where you work all the way from about 12 reps up to your 1rm then into working sets of whatever type of training you are doing - Which sounds good.. but unfortunately for me, with the gym i go to, their restrictions include 45min time slots, so when i have say 3 exercises planned, i dont really have time to warm up so extensively.

Partridge

Reaction score
@PMP_25 I always do a warm-up set with a lighter weight for my first set as it's something i've always done so has just become a natural thing that i do and then i just go into my normal sets. I see that that you have a 45 minute time slot at your gym which makes things harder for you, i'd suggest maybe doing the mobility exercises and stretches before you leave to go the gym which leaves more time for your actual work out.