help with workout

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
thanks without being cheesy i just think that all i want in life is a green lid on my head so everything i do i kust want to relate to that to get me closer and i dont have any civvy interests thats why i mentioned mptc college.for the admin stuff i make my bed everyday dust and clean my room do alot of washing up and ironing and folding up but definitely not as much as a marine fitness wise i do alot of phys and get high scores on gym tests for the marines like the push ups i can also do a vpjft+ 3 times in a row.im probably at the moment going to join at 18 after college when a bit more mature and grown up so that gives me alot of time to prepare and smash out the pyhs i also do cadets so getting to learn everything i need to know for joining up.thanks for all your help.

Sounds like you're in a really good place mate!

user12345

Reaction score
Sounds like you're in a really good place mate!
i got one last question i have been doing a lot of long slow runs but my time havent been going down as much i was wondering doing more little fast interval runs because st the moment the only interval training i have is hill sprints as i am following arnys whats everyones thoughts?

Last edited:

Rob20

Reaction score
i got one last question i have been doing a lot of long slow runs but my time havent been going down as much i was wondering doing more little fast interval runs because st the moment the only interval training i have is hill sprints as i am following arnys whats everyones thoughts?

Mix them up mate. Both are necessary.

This is a really brief unscientific explanation but it makes sense to me.

You need to do sprint sessions in order to improve your speed.
You need long slow runs to improve your endurance.

Eventually there will be a sweetspot where both attributes are of a similar standard, and you'll be able to run further than previously possible faster than previously possible.

How to make small gains? I used to be obsessed with timings when training to join. Say for example I ran a 5km route in 22:30 minutes with each KM taking 4:30mins. I'd target one split, so for example I'd ensure my pace was bang on 4:30 the whole time but for one of the splits I'd drop down to 4:20 for example. Each week I'd make a small target like that. Over months and months, suddenly you've taken a minute or two off your time. Small gains add up

user12345

Reaction score
Mix them up mate. Both are necessary.

This is a really brief unscientific explanation but it makes sense to me.

You need to do sprint sessions in order to improve your speed.
You need long slow runs to improve your endurance.

Eventually there will be a sweetspot where both attributes are of a similar standard, and you'll be able to run further than previously possible faster than previously possible.

How to make small gains? I used to be obsessed with timings when training to join. Say for example I ran a 5km route in 22:30 minutes with each KM taking 4:30mins. I'd target one split, so for example I'd ensure my pace was bang on 4:30 the whole time but for one of the splits I'd drop down to 4:20 for example. Each week I'd make a small target like that. Over months and months, suddenly you've taken a minute or two off your time. Small gains add up
thank you i think i obsesss over the milage rather than time and just burn out and feel rubbish today i did a 5k in 22:30 i think i might just have to find the sweet spot and maybe add one more interval session so i feel better sbout my training.thanks again much appreciated

Rob20

Reaction score
thank you i think i obsesss over the milage rather than time and just burn out and feel rubbish today i did a 5k in 22:30 i think i might just have to find the sweet spot and maybe add one more interval session so i feel better sbout my training.thanks again much appreciated

You're young. It will come

Murk

Reaction score
Went out today and done the 2.4k in 10:05. I know I can get this down with time. With my VPJFT I've managed to do one full round of it, sit ups tire me out easily.
Cant remember who posted this in another thread so can't credit but they came up with this 6 week program for getting to full VPJFT:

week 1 will be 10 burpees, 15 sit ups, 10 press ups, 30 second plank x4
week 2 will be 12 burpees, 18 sit ups, 12 press ups, 35 second plank x4
week 3 will be 14 burpees, 21 sit ups, 14 press ups, 40 second plank x4
week 4 will be 16 burpees, 24 sit ups, 16 press ups, 45 second plank x4
week 5 will be 18 burpees, 27 sit ups, 18 press ups, 50 second plank x4
week 6 will be 20 burpees, 30 sit ups, 20 press ups, 60 second plank x4

Metronome app for beeps:
69BPM for burpees
30BPM for push ups and sit ups

Carrot12

Reaction score
Cant remember who posted this in another thread so can't credit but they came up with this 6 week program for getting to full VPJFT:

week 1 will be 10 burpees, 15 sit ups, 10 press ups, 30 second plank x4
week 2 will be 12 burpees, 18 sit ups, 12 press ups, 35 second plank x4
week 3 will be 14 burpees, 21 sit ups, 14 press ups, 40 second plank x4
week 4 will be 16 burpees, 24 sit ups, 16 press ups, 45 second plank x4
week 5 will be 18 burpees, 27 sit ups, 18 press ups, 50 second plank x4
week 6 will be 20 burpees, 30 sit ups, 20 press ups, 60 second plank x4

Metronome app for beeps:
69BPM for burpees
30BPM for push ups and sit ups
Thank you, I'll start that this week.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There's no replicating carrying someone without carrying someone *text deleted* but a lot of core and lower back strength is used
Unless you are lucky enough to have a yoke (strongman equipment) in your gym. I wish mine had one!

Murk

Reaction score
Unless you are lucky enough to have a yoke (strongman equipment) in your gym. I wish mine had one!
Yes my gym has one as well as a sled which I will definitely be attaching myself to when restrictions are lifted

User1234

Reaction score
I have a big spherical sandbag and I am guessing it weighs between 50-60kg and putting that in your shoulder and running or waking for a few meters would certainly do the trick!!