Help

rmc1863

Reaction score
Orate lads, didnt really know what to put for the title as you can probably tell haha.

Where to start, well *text deleted** always wanted to join the marines from about aged 6, im 16 now and in my last year of school. I told everyone about my desire to join about 1 year ago, but a few months back i told them i had changed my mind (to get them off my back) and *text deleted** still go a strong feeling that i want to be in the marines.

I have a girlfriend who i love to peices, literally, and all my family know it and use it against me to not join, and she has already said she doesnt know what would happen between us if i joined due to me being away.

Well im going to secretly get myself fit for the marines, and spring on them all as i know if i didnt at least try, *text deleted** got a 3 year apprenticeship lined up in plumbing due to start in september and i would enjoy it, but at the end of the day, i know i was made to me in the marines.

Currently i only way about 58kg and im 5 ft 11.

Press ups:20
Sit-ups:65
Returntime:8:54
Pull Ups - 2

As you can see i have poor upperbody strength, my weight doesnt help.

Sorry for the length of this, just needed get it off my chest, any comments or help to improve fitness would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dude at 16 the world is your oyster and please, if you feel as strongly as this thread perceives, don't drop it for a girl. I mad that error and now I'm 25 and have my PRMC date.

Regarding your family, talk to them and explain why you feel strongly. Theyay see the passion come out and realise your genuine. Mums are always a tough cookie to crack but remember at 18 it's your decision. It'll be far easier with their support and backing than without. Definitely complete your apprenticeship and show to your AFCO that you've got sticking power and can see it through. 3 years is a long time and you'll fly through. Best of luck buddy

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I going to be honest here, it is unlikely that you will stay with that girl for the rest of your life and she will probably get in the way. There have been hundred's of people on here who have left the Royal Marines or the training or just haven't applied because of a girl then a while after they split up, I'm not trying to be harsh or pesimistic but it is reality.

And on the topic of weight and upper body strength, you'll probably be fine if you put hard effort in, at 16 you still have to 'fill out' and your strength and weight will go up anyway, but with training it will increase even more, you'll be fine. At 16 I was in the 50kg's but I am now approaching 70 and I'm only 17.

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A lad who was on my presentation evening said he got to week 26 of training, and left because of issues between him and his girlfriend. When the C Sgt asked if he was still with her, he said no.