Help

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ok me n a load of ppl were all havin a laugh about each other and one lad took it the wrong way and told my turtor and now me and a load of lads have a writen warning about bullying. *text deleted* never bullyed any1 in my life and im not goin to start now. If i put my college down on my aplecation form and it says bullying on it will the marines still let me in thanks David.

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
heya mate
sounds like a *text deleted**text deleted* for ratting you out, but maybe you guys didn't know where to draw the line and he was having a bad day anyways on top of that. you most likely won't need to worry about it althought this really is a question that is best answered by ninja. but i should think you'll be fine

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*...you will be fine

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's always two sides to any tale of woe.

The odd thing about bullying is that people who do it usually don't realise they are committing it, or have been subject to the receiving end of others having a laugh at their expense themselves & thought nothing of it.

Doubtless, the person that took it the "wrong way" sees it entirely different to the perpetrators, otherwise they would not have felt the need to have complained. If there was nothing in it, the college would simply have investigated it & found no evidence, nor felt the need to have taken any action against a "load of lads".

The Royal Marines do not tolerate bullying inasmuch they do not permit anyone to bully you & neither do they allow you to bully anyone else. With regard references, we will usually request a reference from any educational establishment you have attended in the previous 2 years before your application.

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
There's always two sides to any tale of woe.

The odd thing about bullying is that people who do it usually don't realise they are committing it, or have been subject to the receiving end of others having a laugh at their expense themselves & thought nothing of it.

Doubtless, the person that took it the "wrong way" sees it entirely different to the perpetrators, otherwise they would not have felt the need to have complained. If there was nothing in it, the college would simply have investigated it & found no evidence, nor felt the need to have taken any action against a "load of lads".

The Royal Marines do not tolerate bullying inasmuch they do not permit anyone to bully you & neither do they allow you to bully anyone else. With regard references, we will usually request a reference from any educational establishment you have attended in the previous 2 years before your application.

I Dont understand, so if they look and see bullyin will they let me in or not ??

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Have you thoght about speaking to the lad concerned and asking for his point of view about what went on.

Maybe when you've heard how he felt about the incident, you might feel moved to apologise, or at least make him aware that there'll be no repeat...

I suitable 'mea culpa' may go some way to alleviating a negative reference.

If it is put on record, it may turn a negative into a positive.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I Dont understand, so if they look and see bullyin will they let me in or not ??

From the sounds of it, the incident would be looked at, and most probably queried in your interview if it's a one off, because the marines would most likely want to know the situation surrounding the incident.

Have you thoght about speaking to the lad concerned and asking for his point of view about what went on.

Maybe when you've heard how he felt about the incident, you might feel moved to apologise, or at least make him aware that there'll be no repeat...

I suitable 'mea culpa' may go some way to alleviating a negative reference.

If it is put on record, it may turn a negative into a positive.

This ties in with the above, when they interview you, and you can say to them, I realised my mistake, I appreciated that what seemed like a joke to us evidently was more sensitive to him, and I went and apologised, this shows empathy and maturity, and also taking responsibility for ones actions, something alot of young people lack today

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

As correctly indicated by the previous two posts- the issue is whether you feel more concerned by the fact it may affect your entry rather than feeling concerned about the individual that felt he was being bullied.

Likewise, we accept that people often act immaturely, but what we seek is a bit of humility, possibly even regret & evidence that a candidate has matured. It takes a bigger person to apologise for their actions & lay the issue to rest.

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I Have said sorry the day i found out he was offended i went and said sorry to him

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I Have said sorry the day i found out he was offended i went and said sorry to him

Then it's doubtful whether an adverse college report will unduly hinder your application providing there are positive references from elsewhere.