Help!

Lord Flashman

Reaction score
Been reading these threads for a while as am looking at joining RMR but want to get a bit of the inside track. I looked at joining the TA at first and wanted to be able to have the option of a commission/regulars there if I wanted. Always been militarily interested but civvy career took off and the years flew by. RM's were always a very strong interest but assumed that becuase I'm 29 I would be too old - applied on the RMR website anyway, stuff came through and am now being directed to AFCO to progress.
TA just seemed so slow, took them nearly 12 months to get me some training dates for basic bod training sorted out. Am mega commited to getting my green lid - any advise, am I too old, whats the story re going on ops? Can I look at going regs/officer training?

chris83

Reaction score
reg's window for signing up is 16 (ish)-33 i think but you're defo not too old if your fitness is up to scratch, ask your local afoc for details or try RM website

encn

Reaction score
Go For RMR mate - it's great! You're definately not too old - age limit is 32, same as regs. and most of us are late 20s (25-30 I would say) so you won't feel like the grandad of the troop.

You can expect to be in holding troop for a MAXIMUM of 6months before starting RT (ie. PRMRC every 6months, so if you join right after the last one you'll have a long wait), but could be as little as a month if you time it right.

It will take about a year-18months to get your Green lid. and then you can sign up for various positions with the regs (FTRS) for varying lengths of time. The ex-regs really like it as it allows them to choose what tours/cdo units they join, etc.

If you then decide to go Regs for career you can. If you want to go for commission you'll have to do the Regs POC and start at the beginning of Reg RT/YO training - but then already having your green lid will give you a pretty huge advantage.

There's also officer selection within RMR of course, but not until after phase 1 of RT.

Good luck!

Lord Flashman

Reaction score
Thanks for that - I was a bit worried about being the old man in the troop! Am off to AFCO this week for interview with them so fingers crossed. I've been doing the phys (and a bit) that they recommend in the booklet the RM careers guys send out. Really looking forward to getting stuck in