Helpful things to buy for RT

JBailey127

Reaction score
I’ve got my intake on 26th of april just wondering if anyone has got some helpful little things to buy for training or just extra things to help with looking after your body, many thanks

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve got my intake on 26th of april just wondering if anyone has got some helpful little things to buy for training or just extra things to help with looking after your body, many thanks
Padlocks will probably be on your kit list. Make sure you get padlocks all working off the same key (saves time when in a rush - which will be most of the time). And not combination padlocks - that's just a challenge for the TT to get open. We got these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-brass-padlock-39mm-4-pack/5611x
The thing you are looking for is Padlocks Keyed-Alike.

And soft as it may sound - hand cream! My son's hands were wrecked after one exercise - Neutrogena, Body Shop Hemp, or E45 (which I think is what med bay give out).

JBailey127

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply! i’ve already got the padlocks but i’ll make sure i’ll get some cream!!

Cookiemum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And washing liquid, NOT powder, for all your hand washing of clothes. The powder is very abrasive on your poor hands. My son learned the hard way. :(
And Marigold washing up gloves to also protect when doing your washing.
Also, moisturise your feet every night with your hand cream.
'Compeed' plasters to help protect your feet and to help heal blisters. You can buy these in a chemist.
Good luck! :)

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
One of the best investments I’ve made for cleaning boots/kit etc.

Attachments

• A97FAB17-74B0-4EFE-BAA5-5E7D924C05C7.jpeg
    A97FAB17-74B0-4EFE-BAA5-5E7D924C05C7.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 35

Chelonian

Reaction score
Neutrogena hand cream or similar, as mentioned above.

Also as stated above, a keyed padlock. If I can defeat a four-disc combination lock in under thirty seconds your TT will do it in about fifteen seconds.

Most importantly, pack a robust sense of humour. It will get you and your oppos through dark times. And remember that even if you feel in the early weeks as if you are at the bottom of the food chain at CTCRM you are still at the top of your game compared to your civilian mates who can only dream of being selected for ROP/RT.

JBailey127

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies! thanks for helping me i’ve noted it all down!!

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone out there who is about to start training and thinking

'Marigolds, hand cream - I'm not joining the Girl Guides' THINK AGAIN

Your hands and your feet are your primary weapon systems, if you do not look after them your ability to function in the field will be diminished. You want to be an asset to your mates not a liability!

This is why so much of early training is about personal admin, on camp and in the field. Your hands and feet are going to take a battering, when you are cold and tired and pushed for time it is the easy option to skip the five minutes it takes to look after your trotters! Don't because you will end up failing.

So glove up and get out the cream..... That doesn't sound quite right, but you get the drift ;)

Best wishes

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Freezer bags and lots of them. You have to waterproof every bit of kit but you can't use canoe bags to start with. Ctc sell bigger ones but it's really useful having loads from tesco aswell. Sounds mad but each pair of socks needs individually waterproofing.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Freezer bags and lots of them. You have to waterproof every bit of kit but you can't use canoe bags to start with. Ctc sell bigger ones but it's really useful having loads from tesco aswell. Sounds mad but each pair of socks needs individually waterproofing.
IKEA does a load of different size sealy bags and they are bombers. I still use them today for small stuff.

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
IKEA does a load of different size sealy bags and they are bombers. I still use them today for small stuff.
Heard about these before. Does the pack contain different sizes or do you have to buy the different sizes?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Each one contains two different sizes. So just buy one pack of each. They are colour coded, like red, white and green. So one of each colour.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you are buying Ikea bags and you don't live next to an Ikea don't leave it for the last minute as their delivery time is like 3 weeks. At least that's how long I need to wait for these bags to be delivered.
It's 3 different bundles just search for ISTAD.

New Threads