Helping someone to stop smoking. Advice please

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

My housemate wants to stop smoking and I'm going to do my best to help her. Unfortunately I don't know much about smoking myself (there's quicker and cheaper ways to kill yourself, that's my view on it), so I need opinions.
She only smokes 1 or 2 a day, so not a heavy smoker by any means. And she only smokes in the evening, not in the morning and not at work. Now I don't know what it feels like to be craving a cigarette, so my main question is when I take her cigarettes off her for the evening, should I stick to my guns even when she begs for one? Or should I give her just one a day, then after a week or so, only allow her one every other day, and so on? And when she is craving one, what can I do to take her mind off it?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers guys,
Ross

itslikethat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When you see her fags, get them and chuck them in the bin when shes not looking. That way she has none. Take her to the gym in the evenings so then shes doing something rather than smoking.

Umm not sure what else, just keep her occupied and thinking of something else.

Rocky5748

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

My housemate wants to stop smoking and I'm going to do my best to help her. Unfortunately I don't know much about smoking myself (there's quicker and cheaper ways to kill yourself, that's my view on it), so I need opinions.
She only smokes 1 or 2 a day, so not a heavy smoker by any means. And she only smokes in the evening, not in the morning and not at work. Now I don't know what it feels like to be craving a cigarette, so my main question is when I take her cigarettes off her for the evening, should I stick to my guns even when she begs for one? Or should I give her just one a day, then after a week or so, only allow her one every other day, and so on? And when she is craving one, what can I do to take her mind off it?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers guys,
Ross
I havn't smoked so have never had to give up. but an old house mate did when i was living with him.

What he did was highlight the times/ activities that prompted him to have a fag, and made sure that he didn't allow them to happen.

eg. -he smoked when he was bored... we played fifa on the xbox
-he smoked when he woke up in the morning. so he had a cup of coffee instead.

(CBT at its best!)
As i said before, this isn't my personal experience, its that of a friend so, not sure how much help that is, but I'm sure the will be lads who have experienced it first hand along soon...

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
And when she is craving one, what can I do to take her mind off it?
So you're looking for a way to take your female housemate's mind off smoking? I can think of one, but I understand it can be satisfying to smoke afterwards so probably isn't wise.

But seriously, as above, since she only smokes lightly it's probably not a strong addiction, so keeping her occupied will probably to the trick.

Teach her chess.

MattyFarr

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As a smoker, when you're craving a fag and don't get one there's a possibility you'll throw a tantrum. In my opinion cold turkey is the only sure fire way of quitting so stick to your guns and take them off her even if she does start hating. Haters gon' hate.

Remind her of the positives aswell, especially the money you'll save from quitting. (Cost me ?7.60 for a pack of 20 yesterday).

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So you're looking for a way to take your female housemate's mind off smoking? I can think of one, but I understand it can be satisfying to smoke afterwards so probably isn't wise.
Ha. Yes, I was fully expecting such a comment even before I wrote my first post! :thefinger:

As a smoker, when you're craving a fag and don't get one there's a possibility you'll throw a tantrum. In my opinion cold turkey is the only sure fire way of quitting so stick to your guns and take them off her even if she does start hating. Haters gon' hate.
Cheers. I expect her to go a bit moody if I refuse to hand them over, but she wants to stop and I've told her I'll help. Guess the 'tantrums' won't last and she'll thank me afterwards.

Itslikethat - she goes to the gym straight after work. Comes home, has food, etc, and only has a smoke just before she goes to bed. "Give me that. Lets go to the gym again" probably wouldn't work at 10pm. Cheers for the suggestion though.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
:

Cheers. I expect her to go a bit moody if I refuse to hand them over, but she wants to stop and I've told her I'll help. Guess the 'tantrums' won't last and she'll thank me afterwards.
She only smokes 1-2 a day! Going cold turkey, is hardly going cold turkey. She won't throw tantrums, she'll just want to have a cig. A simple preoccupation and some will power will suffice.

It's not like she's smoking a pack a day.

itslikethat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh fair enough mate, I didn't know she went gym! haha

Ummm other than what the other lads have said mate, I got nothing haha.

Let us know what happens !

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cold turkey, I tried the "well I'll ration myself" and it was just an excuse to keep smoking. Cold turkey all the way. Id slowly start having more and more ad end up back smoking 10/15 a day.

As somebody said, boredom is major, I played play station a lot. After food and if I had an argument with the Missis were times when I'd usually have a smoke, waiting for a bus or walking somewhere I'd notice it. Smokers are creatures of habit mostly, but there is an actual addiction there so expect her to become very irritable.

"HOW MANY TIMES ROSS STOP PUTTING TOAST CRUMBS IN THE BUTTER AAARRRRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!"

and such like.....jut remind her it does become easier, the real test is when she has a drink after "quitting" slightly easier now you can't light up inside the pub, but still difficult.

good luck.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As an ex-smoker, quitting is easy. One day, decide you want to quit. Really, really want to quit; and then do it.

I vowed one day to never touch a smoke again. I actually meant it. As a result, I never had any cravings, moments of weakness, etc. I had the chemical withdrawals but I accepted it as part of the process.

At 1-2 a day just go zero tollerance on her. She won't have any real chemical addiction, just one of habit. Do everything you can to break those habits. Just generally disrupt her general living patterns.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
She only smokes 1-2 a day! Going cold turkey, is hardly going cold turkey. She won't throw tantrums, she'll just want to have a cig. A simple preoccupation and some will power will suffice.

It's not like she's smoking a pack a day.
I realise she's not a heavy smoker and quitting will probably be relatively easy(ish), but when I told her that I'll keep hold of her cigarettes and won't hand them over, just the thought of it seemed to scare her slightly. She almost started begging me to allow her to have one "under certain circumstances", and this was when she was holding one about to go outside with it. I realised then that it won't be a simple task!

Ahh fair enough mate, I didn't know she went gym! haha

Ummm other than what the other lads have said mate, I got nothing haha.

Let us know what happens !
Not only does she go to the gym, her fitness is enough to make me weep. She runs about 10 miles a day! WIll keep you posted though.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not only does she go to the gym, her fitness is enough to make me weep. She runs about 10 miles a day! WIll keep you posted though.

In that case, try appealing to her inner-athelete! She's obviously very fit/talented. Try and get her to imagine what she could be like / acheive with a healthier lifestyle.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
She's quite an inspiration actually as far as any of us who have been injured go. She broke her ankle just before Christmas and it's now held in place with two metal pins. Barely four months later and she's doing daily 10 milers! She did run regularly before she broke her ankle (high heels related, not running related) so already had the CV, but it goes to show that an injury isn't the end.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Give her something else to stick in her mouth.........................................................................................................................................................................

:shakehands:

Like, chewing gum you dirty *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s.

You can try all you like but if they dont have the will power to do it then no matter what you say or do will help her.

MattyFarr

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Plaster the walls in your house with phot's of people suffering from smoking related illnesses.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Absolutely do not take her ciggies off her.

Do not go on and on about it.

Forget she asked you.

If she continues to smoke, let her carry on.

If she really wants to stop, she will. If she carries on, she doesn't really want to stop.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Forget she asked you.

If she really wants to stop, she will. If she carries on, she doesn't really want to stop.
Nail on the head. If she doesn't want to stop, she won't.

Chris1908

Reaction score
If your trying to change one thing, its always easier to do it alongside others.

Just quitting smoking makes you concentrate on that, but if she stops smoking as part of becoming fitter, then she also has something to take her mind off the cravings; and its also a good indication of the improvements in her life. If just quitting smoking alone, these advantages wouldn't be as immediately apparent, and it may be harder to stick to if that makes sense.

Chris1908

Reaction score
Give her something else to stick in her mouth.........................................................................................................................................................................

:shakehands:

Like, chewing gum you dirty *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s.

You can try all you like but if they dont have the will power to do it then no matter what you say or do will help her.
Hey, you left the space....:toung:

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Forget she asked you.

I don't think that's a very good approach to take at all really. I don't know from experience, but I've heard that stopping smoking isn't easy. She asked me for help, I'm willing to help her. Why shouldn't I? I want to get into the Marines. I've asked the instructors at BMF to help me get fit enough. Your approach seemingly would be, "Don't help him. If he wants it enough, he'll do it himself". Well, maybe. But it's much easier if I have them helping me. Others can push you further than you can push yourself. Even trained RMs have PTIs. So if she wants me to help her stop smoking, I will.