Hernia surgery

96Hoppy

Reaction score
Hi all. In June this year I had a hernia style repair (Surgeon signed me off as fit within 2 months), my recruiter from the Navy has said I cannot apply for a year from surgery date.
My brother is in 4 Para and has been trying to make me join, obviously i am not going to as the marines is my dream, but I spoke to part of the medial team who said hernia surgery is not one that involves waiting a year before applying.
Can anyone advise if the recruiter has got this wrong and if my medical would likely get accepted?
Thank you in advance.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Ok , well first off Army reserve medicals guys have no input into Navy entry standards!! Hernia does involve a wait , but not a year, you can be graded fit if you can provide a continuous 3 months training diary comparable to military training - this is defined as the following,: Running at least 3 X per week for 30 to 40 minutes ,hill walking with 10 kg load for 6 to 8 miles weekly, if you cannot submit this you "can" be graded unfit, Capita will also likely make you TMU at triage to gain all info on your surgery,

96Hoppy

Reaction score
Thanks mate, He was talking to me about joining them not the marines. I will get started on doing this, if I bring it up with my recruiter will he likely agree to it as it contradicts what he’s previously said?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
AFCO do not give medical advice strictly speaking as we have a specific medical team for this . , They make the descions not AFCOs ..put you app in if you wish too , and be ready to made TMU while capita get your GP info ( you can let your GP know this will be happening , so may speed things up) also get the training diary done ( when you are fit too , do not push early if you are not fully healed.

If your AFCO say you can't , just politely mention you checked the JSP 950 section 4 and you understand from there you can!!

96Hoppy

Reaction score
Thank you very much I appreciate your help, I will speak to my recruiter tomorrow and start the process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HammerHead41 Second hernia surgery Common Training Injuries 5
Echo29 Hernia Recovery Common Training Injuries 0
smackabear Hernia General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 1