hernia....

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Past two days I noticed a lump on my grion which I beilive to be a hernia, don't really know much a about hernias and what this going to mean with joining the marines, however I start RT in two month, which I guess isn't going to happen now. Any advice? Calling afco after the weekend. Will I must likely be looking wait a year to start again and do prmc again

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Get yourself to the Dr and get it diagnosed properly. It could be anything!
When you have some professional advice then worry about the next stage.
There are so many innocent things it could be. If you want advice over the phone dial 111 which is the NHS non emergency number.
Dr first then Careers Adviser.
Let me know how it goes?

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a hernia and I will be contacing doctor on Monday then afco. If this is a hernia would that mean id have to wait 6 months after surgery to join? Is it possible to join any sooner?

Also how long do you beilive it would take for me to get surgery, I heard that it can take ages like 6 months

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
@smackabear. Let the Doctor tell you what it is, they are the medical professionals.
One step at a time, glass half full, cheerfulness in the face of adversity etc.......

Chelonian

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a hernia and I will be contacing doctor on Monday then afco.

Self diagnosis almost always leads to assuming the worst possible scenario. The advice from CHUB! is based on experience and knowledge, so please take heed.
Particularly this bit:

One step at a time, glass half full, cheerfulness in the face of adversity etc.......

Get a professional medical diagnosis and take it from there mate. Meanwhile, consider pouring yourself a beer and relaxing. Although I'm not exactly fascinated by the medical conditions of others please post an update if you want to. Chin up, crack on. Best of luck.

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you guys are totatly right, so gutted about this, I under 2 months away from going in and now might have to redo pjft and prmc now and wait a year depending on how quickly I can get surgery

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
@smackabear, I could happily wring your neck.
Stop the negativity.
I love the fact you are so driven and what I expect from a potential RM.

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Remember there are people on this forum who have been told they can never join and would gladly swap places. Please spare a thought for them.
Now chin up suck it up and wait until you have the facts.

Keep us posted we genuinely care about the outcome.

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hahaha thanks @CHUB! Been doing some research hoping I'll be alright by January.

I've been to the doctor today and I've been confirmed with a hernia however I explained my situation with the royal marines and he wrote a referral there and now and sent it off so I should be getting a consolation within a couple of days.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Hahaha thanks @CHUB! Been doing some research hoping I'll be alright by January.

I've been to the doctor today and I've been confirmed with a hernia however I explained my situation with the royal marines and he wrote a referral there and now and sent it off so I should be getting a consolation within a couple of days.
@Ninja_Stoker may know the rules on hernia.
I have had somebody with an appendix removal who had to wait 6 months and for the last 3 had to produce a weekly excercise diary. He was then given the go-ahead.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hernia stuff below in the upload, paras 4E.01 & 4E.11 refer.

Attachments

• AnnexE_Gastrointestinal (1).pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 49

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've seen I'll have to wait 6 months after surgery, however I can be passed fit If I've trained 3 months of fittness standards similar to the level of the armed forces. So including 4 week of post surgery I could be looking at 4-6 months, 4 months being lucky.

Of course all down to the afco medical staff so it's a matter of what they think is best

Chelonian

Reaction score
From what I've seen I'll have to wait 6 months after surgery, however I can be passed fit If I've trained 3 months of fittness standards similar to the level of the armed forces.

With the clear proviso that I am not a medical professional, a general, anecdotal note about surgery to correct a hernia:

Someone of my acqaintance had the procedure done a few years back. Being a keen golfer he was keen to resume chasing small white balls across Devon as quickly as possible after surgery.
Immediately prior to the operation patients often get a visit from the actual surgeon. The golfer explained to his surgeon that he was anxious that his return to robust health and competitive golf should be as rapid as possible. A desired rapid recovery time was then a factor that the surgeon was aware of.

I guess that your opportunity for physical exercise will be limited pre- and post-operation. No reason why you can't use that time to get a grip on basic navigation and dhobi skills though. :)

Chutney123

Reaction score
Past two days I noticed a lump on my grion which I beilive to be a hernia, don't really know much a about hernias and what this going to mean with joining the marines, however I start RT in two month, which I guess isn't going to happen now. Any advice? Calling afco after the weekend. Will I must likely be looking wait a year to start again and do prmc again

How is the Hernia, Do you know if you will be starting on the 19th yet???

We were on the PRMC together and most of us but 3 or 4 are all going in on the 19th

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate, had to delay training, need surgery and have to wait 4 -6 months after untill I can be placed in Another troop, gutted really.

Good luck with 19/09 I've spoke to a few of the guys in the troop and they're sound guys, I was really looking foward to start training with them haha, such is life.

I spoke to my surgen yesterday and explained my issue with the marines and he understands that I need this op as soon as possible so should have fixed sometime in September

Chutney123

Reaction score
Wounding..........such a long wait considering you have got this far...........oh well stay motivated im sure it will fly by. are you still able to train with it???

Good luck with the ops bro

smackabear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have question I just had hernia surgery today took less than 2 months from self diagnoses to op which I'm very happy with, had at nuffield as well! At home now resting For 2 weeks.

Unfortunately whilst at my consulation it turns out I had a grion hernia in the same place when I was 2 years old which I literally had no clue about! and therefore it hasn't been declared on my medical. What I'm to expect when I go to redo my medical and explain I had a hernia before. Little bit worried they will scrap my application because they think I lied on my medical

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
We would never accuse you of lying for something so unfortunate. Stop panicking and get better. I imagine you have come out a princess having gone through Nuffield.
As above speedy and healthy recovery.