Hey up

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to introduce myself-my name is Brett and i'm 19. Half way through 2nd year of uni, dont't really enjoy it but want to get a degree before I join the corps. I did a POC when I was 17-hardest thing i've ever done. Passed physically but didn't get through (too young, lack of life experience etc.) Not sure if i'm going to join as a nod or yo-yo. Leaning towards going in as a recruit, think it would be a great lifestlye once you're out of training. I'm *text deleted* do a PRMC later this year (prob August) so if I want to I can join as soon as I finish uni in May '09. Loads of useful stuff on the site, gud 2 see where every1 else is with their applications etc.

Thanks
Brett

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
alright mate! welcome aboard!

ive got my interview tomorrow and i hope to be in the corps before july!

cheers

james

EDIT: Tomorrow? what am i on i mean MONDAY my bad! thought it was sunday then lads! *text deleted*

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wish I could go in that soon-very tempted to leave uni and join now. Don't think that would be a smart move somehow. Just have to be patient and grab my chance when it comes. Good luck with the interview

Brett

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cheers mate!

i would stay and get your degree or whatever. im joining at 16 but i am fed up with school and cant be assed anymore, i will probably forget it but im going to homeschool my A-Levels when i get in! which will be better for me! anyway are you still going for officer?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I will go for officer again-i've got a year and a bit to make up my mind tho. I wud luv 2 b a marines offier but not sure if i'd be the type of person they'd want. I've got no doubts about my ability to pass out as a recruit tho. For me, actually getting the green lid is more important than what rank i get it as. Only downside to joining as a recruit wud b that u get paid peanuts

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nooot really mate!

dont forget you have no mortgage and its like 80 pound rent a month, your food comes out of *text deleted* wages so your left with like 200 a week SPENDING MONEY that has to go to nothing! on civvie street its like 30 pound a week because its all tied up with loans e.t.c

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh, I suppose so mate. And like you say, I would be worse off if I was working in civvie street.

Aussie89

Reaction score
Im in exactly the same situation as you mate. Except i Havnt even started my uni course haha so i wont be going in until 2010 or early 2011. What are you doing at uni

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm doing sport and exercise science at Herts Uni. It's ok but all I really want to do is join the marines so it gets a bit frustrating sometimes that I have to finish the degree 1st. Where are u looking to go to uni and what course? Do you want to join as an officer?

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi Brett and welcome to the site!

There's loads of valuable info on the site whether you're looking to join as a nod or yo yo. I'd say though mate, if you have the academic ability to join as an officer go for it, but the decision is your's mate! Whatever you decide, i'm sure the site will be able to help you along the way!:thumbsup:
If you cant find something your wondering about and cant see it in the most recent posts try the 'Search' function in the green bar above, failing that feel free to ask.

Good luck with your application mate!

Shiloh.

Aussie89

Reaction score
nah at the moment im not looking to go in as an officer but we will see. I know what you mean about it being frustrating but i guess it just gives you more time to prepare. Im doing Maritime Technology and Managment at uni

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So do you think you're going to get your degree then join as a recruit? Do you know if many people do that?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also mate, when you go to uni I would say have a look at the Army OTC. Depends where your uni is, my OTC is London. It's a gud laugh even if u don't *text deleted* be a Rupert

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah a few join with degrees I know a lad who has a dehreein geography and he just a marine

noble

Reaction score
Duffy, I'm also in the same situation as you mate, half way through year 2 of my degree and not particularly enjoying it, I'm doing politics and law at bradford. However I'm currently debating whether to join the marines or the army.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Marines everytime mate-you've got to at least guve it a crack, otherwise you'll always wonder if u cud of got *text deleted* green lid. Don't tell me u *text deleted* join Para Reg! It's gud to know there are other people in my situation. Uni is a bit gash but over halfway thru now so will finish it off.

Do u want to be an officer then? I think i'm *text deleted* go for marines officer and if I don't make the grade join as a recruit. R u in an OTC in Bradford?

Duffy

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
fancy a easier way of life?? Join the army
thrive of challenges and never give up no matter what?? Join the marine

noble

Reaction score
Nah I'm not in UOTC, I really want to join, but unfortunately now I don't have more than 2 years of my degree remaining and therefore I'm not eligible. I definitely want to become an officer, and have picked credits accordingly on my degree, as there are actually some officers attending my international terrorism and international relations lectures, having there studies paid for by the army. I think I'm going to head to a careers office sometime this week and see what my options are.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Hey girls Parents & Partners 3
C Hey! Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 2
D Hey Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 0