Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yo,

Ok so I’m alex. 17 years young and my aim is to join the Royal Marines and later the SBS. I am fit, motivated and wanting to push myself. I love the idea of doing special forces surveillance one day.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but are you eligible to apply to do parachute training on completion of the commando course prior to SBS selection ?

2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Yo*

For personal security reasons we do not permit the use of real names/names that resemble real names as usernames.

PM a moderator and request a new username.

Thanks

*Stop saying Yo, you aren’t the Fresh Prince of Bel air

• Like Like x 4
  3. Zika65

Zika65 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As a mum of a Nod currently in RT the first thing that sprang to mind when I read this was; Don't put the cart before the horse; a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . .

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

No. BPC is carried out after SF have been badged. Very few SQs with RM have the requirement to be para trained. If you want to do parachuting, join the Paras.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Aerial

Aerial New Member

Though it's a good thing to have motivation, ambition and a roadmap for where you want to be; right now your priority should be getting through your AFCO interview and then PRMC.

Though being physically fit helps a lot, being able to run a BFT like Usain Bolt won't make you anymore proficient with an iron or make it easier to grit your teeth when you're cold and wet through.

It's a long road ahead, and it takes an awful lot to succeed. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

You will look a tad foolish if you cream in a week one run after such grand plans.

So, how about you just tell everyone you want to be a good recruit and a good marine, then listen to, and learn as much as possible from your peers & NCOs.

How’s that for a plan?

• Like Like x 6
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Active Member

You missed “ Astronaut” off the list :):)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
  8. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry to all I’ve upset and annoyed . I honestly didn’t mean to

• Like Like x 4
  9. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    My username isn’t my true name it’s just a name of some significance known only to me. I’ll get it changed but. Thank you guys

10. Cheezy hammy eggy

Hi,
    I don’t think many people on here would be offended by your rather “overzealous” introduction, as mentioned, there’s nothing wrong with ambition, but the majority of members on here are Parents/Partners of recruits currently in RM recruit training at CTC.
    If you read the threads posted, you will realise that Recruit Training to be a Royal Marine Commando is probably the hardest in the World ( generic training not SF)
    The 32 weeks training is a rollercoaster ride of different emotions which affects recruits (nods) and families alike. The amount of recruits who drop out through injury or failure is massive, the attrition rates are massive but so is the drive to succeed to earn the coveted Green Beret.
    To become a Royal Marine Commando is an outstanding achievement both physically and mentally, that achievement alone separates them from the rest, they are a brotherhood.
    I wish you the best of success in your goal, however, carry out a great deal of research on becoming a Royal Marine Commando, prepare for the AFCO interview, PJFT, RMAD and PRMC, and if successful at them, then you’ll need to concentrate on passing the 32 week RT at CTC.
    This forum will help you on your journey, so please ask for advice and you’ll get plenty of it on here from an array of experienced people.
    Best of luck

• Like Like x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
  11. Zika65

Zika65 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Wishing you the best of luck with your application for RT and keep up the training.:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper Dealer of Death, New York, Paris & Peckham.

When it feels like the whole forum is against you, it means the whole forum is right.

When you see me less, it means I’m doing more.

13. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @A_R.Cunning

No harm, no foul! There is nothing wrong with youthful exuberance! (in moderation) ;)

Read and take on board the post by @Cheezy hammy eggy and you will be on the right road

Remember, as well as Parents/Partners, most of the people on the forum have years of military experience behind them and have seen the best and the very worst of life. Between them they have watched thousands of exceptional young men attempt and fail to achieve a beret of any colour......
    Mid writing this I happened to come across your other thread, which has now been closed and notice that the Grim Reaper has called!

Some gentle advice-
    You are quite entitled to your opinions, but remember they are just that, as of yet you have no actual experience of the job to base them on.
    The jokes and humour are just a subtle way of trying to bring you down to earth, when you make it to RT or YO training, anyone seen to be 'getting too big for their boots' will be cut down in a far more savage manner. (Ask yourself why)
    There is nothing wrong with having ambitions of serving in the SF but if you are focussing on that now, your focus is not where it should be. ( Just my opinion but based on the experience of watching a young man plan and prepare on a monthly, then weekly, then daily basis for 8 years to become a RM Commando officer at the age of 22)

An analogy for you.
    It is to invite ridicule if you question and then criticise the starting procedure and athletes in the Olympic final of the 100m, when you have yet to learn to walk

Head down-train and study

• Nailed It Nailed It x 8
  14. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I absolutely agree with the sentiment but have found an increasing amount of smart-Alec 'banter' and in jokes creeping onto this site which is a shame. There is a fine line between PRMC forum and ARRSE. We should all be aware of the desire to encourage aspiring RMs rather than publicly taking the [email protected]%s.

We were all young and naive once...30 years ago in my case.

• Like Like x 11
    • Seen Seen x 1
  15. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@dodgyknees.
    Just to respectfully come back to you on that point.

Members of this forum evidently come in all shapes and sizes and all deserve to be treated fairly. We absolutely can agree on that. There is no place for any form of harassment or discrimination online. The golden thread that runs through this place is that we help each other.

Nonetheless, I personally remain adamant that this forum is distinctly different than other military forums. It has, for me, a unique feel of support about it. As Rents alluded to, it is clear the humour used was not attacking in nature. Humour plays a huge part in military culture as you know.

There is a difference between child- like naivety and rudeness. I don’t believe age alone is a reason not to hold inappropriate behaviour to account. Whatever one’s age, one axiom is paramount when considering a career in the forces I think : for things to get better for you, you have to get better.

If humorous comments are directed at a member it is always vital that context is considered. I am not suggesting this forum and its staff aim to instil military discipline onto members, but some gentle introduction to discipline is not a bad thing in my mind.

Standards make the difference between a mob and a military. It is a form of behaving that is the consequence of training and indoctrination, designed to ensure compliance to orders among individuals and groups, to create and maintain cohesion in military units.
    Low standards damage the team in the forces . This might cause failure on operations, with soldiers getting seriously injured and killed. This is why the military depends on high standards.

The overwhelming majority of members here behave and conduct themselves brilliantly.

Can good habits really start too early?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  16. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Totally agree, my son is a similar age and just started recruit training. I love this forum to be able to help, support and share experiences. Never have I felt it’s a place where people are ridiculed or bullied but when things are posted that require a robust response it’s going to come. Maybe the p&ps section have taken over the asylum :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you for your detailed response. Although I am a pongo I have spent over 10 years with 3 Cdo Bde so am well aware of the level of banter used in day to day life.

My point is that the young lad just posted to say he wanted to join the RM and then the SBS...why not? The SBS are what gets a lot of younger lads interested in joining and while only a few will reach this pinnacle, I would never discourage anyone from shooting for the stars. Having completed a number of arduous courses but ploughing selection (really badly) I would encourage anyone to start their journey early and give it a shot.

You mention holding inappropriate behaviour to account, agreed, but what inappropriate behaviour has he displayed. A bit of naivety perhaps, but this was unintentional and in my view did not deserve the numerous sarcastic comebacks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is mine.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Responses to posts in a thread are perhaps sometimes influenced by a particular forum user's content in other threads.

From time-to-time the posts of a very few new forum users appear to fall outside of the typical pattern we see on the forum. In such cases a discussion takes place 'behind the scenes'. Even though not publicly viewable such discussions are invariably respectful, mindful of youthful exuberance and focus on keeping the forum on an even keel.

More often than not the individual under scrutiny is given the benefit of the doubt. Stated age is also taken into account.

A few forum users have a wobbly start but happily continue and remain here as Trained Ranks.
    As an aside, one recent example of this not working out was a new forum user who is a serving Royal Marines NCO. He spat out his dummy on his first day here and has not been seen since.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cheezy hammy eggy

Hmm, just wondering !!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Small steps of training (small i know more like collosal) then see how you feel. You arent the only one who starts training wanting too be sas sbs srr then realise "christ this is actually well hard this is enough for me"

• Like Like x 3