Hi from me

Grim Reaper

Dealer of Death, New York, Paris & Peckham.
Reaction score
Thank you for your detailed response. Although I am a pongo I have spent over 10 years with 3 Cdo Bde so am well aware of the level of banter used in day to day life.

My point is that the young lad just posted to say he wanted to join the RM and then the SBS...why not? The SBS are what gets a lot of younger lads interested in joining and while only a few will reach this pinnacle, I would never discourage anyone from shooting for the stars. Having completed a number of arduous courses but ploughing selection (really badly) I would encourage anyone to start their journey early and give it a shot.
You mention holding inappropriate behaviour to account, agreed, but what inappropriate behaviour has he displayed. A bit of naivety perhaps, but this was unintentional and in my view did not deserve the numerous sarcastic comebacks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is mine.
Yeah I don’t think anyone doubted your service or experience.... but it’s nice to see your lovely sensitive side. Nursing Corps I assume?
When a young user makes flippant comments about the death of serving bods it’s just not cricket. I wonder if you’ve also been subjected to rude PMs from the user? Anyway I love a good white knight. One chased me away once from visiting an old marine with my scythe.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Responses to posts in a thread are perhaps sometimes influenced by a particular forum user's content in other threads.

From time-to-time the posts of a very few new forum users appear to fall outside of the typical pattern we see on the forum. In such cases a discussion takes place 'behind the scenes'. Even though not publicly viewable such discussions are invariably respectful, mindful of youthful exuberance and focus on keeping the forum on an even keel.

More often than not the individual under scrutiny is given the benefit of the doubt. Stated age is also taken into account.

A few forum users have a wobbly start but happily continue and remain here as Trained Ranks.
As an aside, one recent example of this not working out was a new forum user who is a serving Royal Marines NCO. He spat out his dummy on his first day here and has not been seen since.
Nail on head.

Can we all take a breather now? It’s August. Apparently it’s National Trout Month.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, I heartily welcome those with aspirations and youthful exuberance. It's partly my job to encourage, nurture & inform, after all. We are seeking to recruit individuals who take risks but aren't reckless.

If nothing else, it brightens up the place and enlivens the forum.

The bottom line is that's what forums are for, an exchange of views, some we can agree or disagree with, some deserve indifference. To be frank, it usually happens most when educational establishments take their termly break, which usually coincides with block leave for service personnel - a heady-mix of experience & inexperience from all angles.

For me, a textual placement in a box is far preferable to a verbal or physical one at a new entry training establishment - it helps manage expectations and that's why I ALWAYS endorse strict moderation, much as I personally back-up trained ranks publicly, even if governments don't.

Bollockings go on behind closed doors, when necessary, where I work.

ex killick

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
To be honest, I heartily welcome those with aspirations and youthful exuberance. It's partly my job to encourage, nurture & inform, after all. We are seeking to recruit individuals who take risks but aren't reckless.

If nothing else, it brightens up the place and enlivens the forum.

The bottom line is that's what forums are for, an exchange of views, some we can agree or disagree with, some deserve indifference. To be frank, it usually happens most when educational establishments take their termly break, which usually coincides with block leave for service personnel - a heady-mix of experience & inexperience from all angles.

For me, a textual placement in a box is far preferable to a verbal or physical one at a new entry training establishment - it helps manage expectations and that's why I ALWAYS endorse strict moderation, much as I personally back-up trained ranks publicly, even if governments don't.

Bollockings go on behind closed doors, when necessary, where I work.
I agree with what the Chief said above, naturally.

That’s my view.

Chelonian

Reaction score
On a general note it's sometimes easy to sarcastically dismiss someone's query about how best to combine the career paths of, say, fast jet pilot, SF and mine clearance diver with a brisk 'pass your PJFT first' comment.
But if anywhere is the place for such a query surely it is here?

Aspiration draws potential Recruits. The Corps runs some cracking recruitment ads on TV and other platforms. Like the one where a cammed-up section silently paddles a Zodiac through the mangroves. I've yet to see an ad depicting one of the same guys working in his SQ which might involve head scratching as he wrestles with a thousand blankets and NATO Stock Numbers. :)

I'm a bit biased perhaps but I think that the forum does a good job of balancing enthusiastic ambition with honesty and thus managing expectations.

Cheezy hammy eggy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys all absorbed and I’ve screwed my neck in to be fair I was being a bit of an idiot and trying to be funny
Won’t happen again lads
Hi,
No probs at this end, crack on with your further education and application, we’re here for you during the journey from application through to Recruit/ YO training.
I’m sure I speak for everyone on here, wishing you all the success in the world in achieving your goal, keep the questions coming (relevant to the immediate task in hand)
Best of luck in all that you do my friend.

A.R_Cunnings

Reaction score
The thing is I really do like this place
I viewed it for ages before signing up!! I’ve a lot of respect for the moderators all of whom have been in I was just trying to be funny but this isn’t a bloody game and I want to prove To all my doubters that I can become a commando

Cheezy hammy eggy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is I really do like this place
I viewed it for ages before signing up!! I’ve a lot of respect for the moderators all of whom have been in I was just trying to be funny but this isn’t a bloody game and I want to prove To all my doubters that I can become a commando
No doubters on here, just “ encouragers”
Go get your dream!

Flubberdog

Reaction score
Thanks mate
I am the father of one of the YO batch from 2018. You are clearly motivated and have your eyes on the stars, but take everything one at a time. As you will discover, RT / YOT will draw on everything you have and at the end you will see what you have left..

Once you have gained your Green Beret then so many opportunities open.

I am a YO Dad. I would have never in my life get to the stage that is required in RT / YO training. I have huge respect for anyone who attempts to take this path.

All the best with your application and all the best with the training that you will encounter. Keep smiling!