Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi I've been watching the forum for a few months now and though it was time I should sign up. I'm nearly 16 and hope to join the Royal Marines as an officer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Venerated Contributor

Hello and welcome! :) Get stuck in and ask away with any questions you may have. You must be starting your A levels in September, what subjects are you taking?

3. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hello box swallow,
    Actual I'm one of the oldest in my year and doing my GCSEs exams next year, I am studying business,geography,computing,triple science plus the compulsory subjects.

4. Guest User

Guest User Guest

Welcome Spartan_rm.

Good decision! You are going to find a lot of helpful stuff and people in here.

Good luck!

5. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks Loki pleasure to meet you

• Seen Seen x 1
  6. BoxSwallow

Oh right! haha :D I did business at GCSE it's pretty good as is triple science. Any ideas what your going to do for A Levels? I do A level Business, Economics and Sociology :)

7. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    At A-level I hope to take business, economics and government and politics but I've recently been looking at a rm scholarship at welbeck which means I would have to take maths and physics if I wanted to go there

8. Guest User

Guest User Guest

Talking about GCSEs. Does someone know if the British Armed forces accept foreign school degrees? I have something I would call a German equal to the British GCSEs. But since the German school system is absolute differently structured than the British one, it's nearly impossible to get an official prove that it is equal to GCSEs, but from checking out GCSE topics in maths,english and other subjects, it definitely is !

So does anyone has a clue if I can apply for roles within the armed forces that require a GCSE and use my German school education instead? Would be quite annoying to do the British GCSEs since I have been out of school for like about 7 years and passed my German degree with quite a good rating and special subjects on 'War in Afghanistan' and 'German armed forces'.

I asked the British Army about it several times, but they seem to have absolutely no clue about if it would be accepted or not. The recruiter says it would be accepted and it is absolutely no problem to apply for roles that require GCSEs, but their online-recruiters and information-people say I need to get some type of official prove that it is, which is close to impossible, since this is only done for German A-levels and German university degrees, not for basic German school educations.

Someone got a clue?

Cheers.

9. BoxSwallow

Business GCSE is definitely a good grounding for Business A level and Economics in some areas crosses over with business but more specific/in depth it is very interesting though and definitely goes well with Government & Politics. I have a couple of friends who do G&P and Economics and they say they complement each other.
    I believe @HalB12 has an RM Welbeck Scholarship maybe shoot him a PM?

10. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks box swallow I will definitely drop him a pm, are you also hoping to join the core?

11. BoxSwallow

I am indeedy :) not yet though, in about 3 years time ;) I still have a year left of A levels at College then I'm going to an apprenticeship.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Guest User

Guest User Guest

Take your time guys.

You can join until the age of 32 as far as I am aware.

Cheers.

13. BoxSwallow

Just a quick google search and apparently "The ‘Mittlere Reife’ is roughly equivalent to the English GCSE/O-Level exams." So if you have those I'd say you're fine :)

14. Guest User

Guest User Guest

I don't have Mittlere Reife though.

In Germany we have 3 different types of basic school degrees.

GCSE is a mixture of our mittlere reife and the one below ( which I have ). So there it already starts and is very hard to compare. However, I did not find anything in GCSE which we did not do.

I will probably never find out. I believe, the best way is to just join and maybe get some support by the British Army or the Royal Navy to re-sit some GCSE or even A-Level exams, just to get it done with.

15. BoxSwallow

I'd be inclined to say you'd need the "higher" of the two so the Mittlere Reife to be equivalent to GCSE.
    You don't need GCSEs though to join the British Army Infantry or Royal Marines as and Soldier/Other Rank so I wouldn't worry about it :) you can of course do some GCSEs/A Levels when you're in.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'd caution that Welbeck may not necessarily be available for non-engineers in future. Previously, the allocation of nominal RN places was opened-up to RM & RN applicants because there was a shortfall of successful RN Engineering Officer applicants. Last year saw the first 'over-subscription', so it is entirely possible future Welbeck places will only be offered to potential future engineers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. spartan rm

spartan rm Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Would this mean I would have to wait until I have finished my A-levels to apply with no other alternative?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

For Royal Navy (Including Royal Marines), overseas qualifications are verified as accepted equivalents by the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB).

The advice is therefore either scan & send your certificates or take the originals to your local AFCO so they can take copies & forward the query to AIB.

Obviously, some are accepted, some aren't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Guest User

Guest User Guest

Okay.

Will involve them in my application anyway.

Good advise.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

No. Prospective Welbexians and/or Sixth Form Scholarship applicants should apply initially in Year 11.

Successful applicants will be offered a 'reserved place', subject to achieving the required grades. For RM Officer applicants, this means the AIB remains valid, but the POC must also be passed within 12 months of the projected entry date.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1