HIIT runs ??

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I was looking up this HIIT stuff everyone seems to be blabbing on about likes its the jesus of running, but couldnt find a definate arnswer to whether you jog or walk in between sprints ?

The main info i found about HIIT running is thats its really good for weight loss, altho im a skinny *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** will this HIIT stuff improve me cardio a lot of if done it 1/2 times a week and 2 normal runs. I also swim 1/2 times a week.

I found this tho which might be of use to some people. Two different style of routines.

Would i walk in the first one between the sprint ?

5 min warmup
3 min moderate pace
30 sec full-out sprint, 1:30 recovery (do this 4 times)
1 min full-out sprint, 2 min recovery (do this 3 times)
5 min cool down

*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*

5 min warm up
2 min moderate pace
30 sec full-out sprint, 3 min moderate
45 sec sprint, 4 min moderate
1 min sprint, 4 min moderate
45 sec sprint, 3 min moderate
30 sec sprint, 2 min moderate
5 min cool down

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do whatever you want and can handle mate!

Be under no illusions, 1 minute sprint should leave you hanging!
Try it with the jogging in between the intervals if you want, but be prepared to think "ah *text deleted**text deleted*, bitten off more than i can chew here," the first few times you do it!:biggrin:

I do fartlek running, which i understand to be a long jog/run with sprint intervals every few minutes.

When i do what i understand to be HIIT, i run 100% balls to the walls during the minute "sprint" or whatever, then spend the rest period stationary just breathing through my ar5e recovering.
Doesn't have to be confined to running, try it on the rowing machine, or with burpees etc.

I think when you slow jog between the intervals, they call it "active recovery" or something?!

When i do hill sprint sessions which are HIIT's i guess, i choose to sprint up the hill, then walk down rather than jog, as i'm prang about shin splints!

Ipodbob

Reaction score
Do whatever you want and can handle mate!

Doesn't have to be confined to running, try it on the rowing machine, or with burpees etc.

When i do hill sprint sessions which are HIIT's i guess, i choose to sprint up the hill, then walk down rather than jog, as i'm prang about shin splints!
thanks, the first idea is a good one never thought of it like that ha *text deleted* stupid me and yeah this is why im looking into other forms of sprints because of shin splints from running down hills.

Echus

Reaction score
You do NOT want to start out doing HIIT if you have limited previous running experience. You need to give your body enough time to strengthen bones/tendons etc to resist the stresses of exercise. HIIT is too intense and from a low base fitness standard you will damage yourself. By enough time I mean about 4-6 weeks of slow long distance whilst gradually incorporating fartlek-style training.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
Just to clarify i've passed PRMC and i was previously doing hill sprints and a mild form of interval training. So not to worry