Hill Run

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I live quite close to the Wrekin and for the last few weeks I've been running up it.

The Wrekin is a hill which is about 1300ft high and it is a continuous uphill run which I've been doing in about 20 minutes (getting down takes about 14 minutes). In all honesty, I haven't been able to continuously run up it yet, I would say I've been running 85%, and walking 15%.

As my sig says, I'm not training for the RM but I am hoping to do a couple of 'extreme' challenges (Toughguy, Toughmudder etc).

I was wondering what sort of benefit I am getting by slow-running/jogging up it. It is an absolute hang-out for me. Am I benefiting doing this rather than going for a run over a more flat surface and running faster? Also, hill sprints are famous for increasing your fitness, what about hill running? I was wondering if this will increase my fitness quicker than running over flatter surfaces... Any of you racing snakes got an opinion? Fanks.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Aye your definitely benefiting if you want to do tough mudder or a hard challenge! By running uphill you'll be working your legs alot harder and thats a good thing. I wouldn't do every run uphill as you want to practice working on 3-5 miles at a quicker pace. But the up hill run will help your fitness, but do other runs as well.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Blimey mate. I used to live in Telford and do my cycling around the Ercall and training round town park back in the day. To run up the wrekin is one hell of a challenge, even better if you get over the top and back down to wellington centre :wink:

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aye your definitely benefiting if you want to do tough mudder or a hard challenge! By running uphill you'll be working your legs alot harder and thats a good thing. I wouldn't do every run uphill as you want to practice working on 3-5 miles at a quicker pace. But the up hill run will help your fitness, but do other runs as well.
This is my only run of the week at the moment. I am planning on getting some 3-5 milers included in a few weeks.

Blimey mate. I used to live in Telford and do my cycling around the Ercall and training round town park back in the day. To run up the wrekin is one hell of a challenge, even better if you get over the top and back down to wellington centre :wink:
It is horrible haha! I'd use the term 'run' with a pinch of salt. At times I feel like I'm going at snails pace but I keep my legs moving. Sometimes I just cannot carry on running so I have to fast-walk until I can start running again.