Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

History and Knowledge Quiz

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by Smiddy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Smiddy

Smiddy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey Everyone,

I don't usually have much to add on here but I hope everyone's well and where they want to be with their training and application!

I passed my medical this week and like a lot of other posts I've seen, some of the history and knowledge doesn't want to stick in my head. I've been looking for a way to create a quiz app which proved harder than I would of thought.

I've come across the Quiz Up App which lets you make your own subjects and add your own questions which I'm planning to do for myself and could quite easily share once I've finished. My only reservation is I don't want to overstep any boundaries as I'll be using the PRMC handout to create it and other sources I've found on this forum to make it.

Could you guys let me know if this would be OK?

Thanks

• Like Like x 9
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Great idea @Smiddy, please do crack on mate, I'm sure others will benefit.

3. Smiddy

Smiddy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if best to start a new post or just carry on here but I've got the quiz up now with at least some questions on it (around 100), still have loads to add so will hopefully finish by the weekend.

If you want to try it: Quiz Up app, search RM History and Knowledge

Hopefully this will help some of you!

• Like Like x 2
  4. MisterNifty

MisterNifty Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    extremely useful this quiz is mate! using it now and helping me out very much, I have PRMC tomorrow too so thank you for this, great timing ;)
    @Smiddy

5. Smiddy

Smiddy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers pal, hope it helps you through the knowledge bit and you smash the rest of your PRMC!

6. loveless

loveless New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Just been using your quiz. Really helpful cheers!

7. Rover

Rover Moderator

A question you are unlikely to be asked, as not many are likely to know about it!o_O:confused:

When in living memory was the first time Royal Marines were operationally involved in Maritime Counter Terrorism?

8. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Was that in the 70's when some baddies threatened to blow up the Palestinian(?) cruise ship? I'm not sure if any of those details are correct but to my addled brain it sounds somewhere close to being along the right lines. Sort of.

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

You might be thinking of the bomb threat against the Cunard liner Queen Elizabeth II in May 1972; a fascinating story in itself.

I don't know the answer to Rover's question but I sense that it might be connected to an operation earlier than 1972. :)

10. Rover

Rover Moderator

Well both @DJANGO and @Chelonian are on target. Both incidents making the media.

The 1970’s would seem to have been rather interesting for those booking a cruise holiday.

In May, 1972. Four British “Army” o_Obomb disposal experts:confused: were parachuted onto the vessel after a telephone caller in New York warned that she had been sabotaged. -nailbiting-It turned out to be a hoax.

qe2-bomb-scare.jpg

Then again........
    They told me it was the QEII.jpg
    B*XX### They told me it was the QEII!!!

The one with the major coverage by the international media being...

Terrorist threat to QE2 cruise
    By Neil Tweedie

The Government feared that Palestinian terrorists might crash an airliner into the Queen Elizabeth II as it sailed towards Israel with 1,400 mainly Jewish passengers on board.

The prospect of an attack on the 58,000-ton Cunard liner was one of the security nightmares of 1973 and prompted detailed discussion of ways to protect the vessel.

Cunard suggested a detachment of Royal Marines.:) Edward Heath, the then Prime Minister, suggested the SAS.-doctor- The Civil Service suggested Securicor.-banghead-

The QE2 had been chartered to take prominent Jews to Israel to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of the state.

But as it prepared to set sail in April, serious consideration was given to cancelling the cruise in the face of increasing attacks by the Palestine Liberation Organisation.

It was feared that terrorists might use Fokker Friendship airliners in their possession to crash into the ship as it made its way through the Mediterranean. Other threats included ramming by speedboat or a hijack attempt by gunmen during a port call.

Mr Heath was advised that some kind of security team should be placed on board, but there were concerns that British servicemen might find themselves accused of murder in a foreign court if they opened fire.

Sir Burke Trend, the Cabinet Secretary, advised the Prime Minister: "We could suggest to Cunard that they seek help from an organisation such as Securicor."-banghead--banghead--banghead-

It was decided that the voyage must go ahead, despite requests from the crew for danger money. The Chiefs of Staff recommended a 26-strong Royal Marines Special Boat Service party. Eight were to be placed on the bridge with the rest mingling with passengers.:cool::)

(As DF would say in his book regarding a later occasion, “Well someone had to do it”):cool:

A reconnaissance aircraft was assigned to patrol ahead of the liner to give warning of unidentified aeroplanes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The Securicor reference indicates how relatively undeveloped some strategy was in the early 1970s. Perhaps one reason being that funding maritime counter terrorism training had, up until then, been impossible to justify. But that's just my speculation.

Julian Thompson refers to the 1973 QE2 operation:

"In this, the first covert operation by the SBS, a team was put on board posing as trainee travel agents. They were not convincing, partly because wearing plain clothes at Poole on duty was frowned on, so operating in such garb was then alien to the SBS, and the men were not allowed to grow their hair to the length fashionable among civilians in the early 1970s, which was long, shaggy and with generous sideburns. Their cover was blown by the press."

Source: The Royal Marines by Julian Thompson

12. Rover

Rover Moderator

Just shows what some people not in a position to know can write!

The 'Pink Card' was in use well before,
    "Any enquiries relating to the length of hair or the dress , xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, are to be directed to, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Not to the man himself."

Now who do you think informed the press? o_O
    Some would see it as good publicity.-banghead--banghead-

The media being full of speculation.

• Like Like x 1