Hit a Plateau with upperbody

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just seem to of hit a point and got stuck. I knocked out the below scores below on Jan 13th at Rmad. And since then everything has taken a hit, my running due injury but the rest I just can't seem to break.
It's driving me mad, and getting me a bit frustrated now. I went the gym yesterday, couldn't best effort more than 28 press ups.

I am just stuck and no matter what I do, I don't seem to improve. I changed from doing 3 sets of x amount and increasing as I went on as it wasn't working for me. I have started going for max effort every set for 4 sets. And that is not working, It's not just that I have been stuck at 70 kg for bench press for weeks. I de load work back up hit the same wall. Same for shoulder press at 40-45kg, and anything shoulder related.
On Rmad I struggled like hell with log carries, and I think it's more flexibility. I can't seem to put my up up arms extended above my head properly. EG today I tried to duck walk with a 16kg kettle bell held above my head arms extended and just could get my arms into that position.

I can't seem to get results that continue, I have gone from following the stuff from the RM site in October got no where. Did that including strength training seen some gains but not loads. I switched to following circuit sessions in a class about December, followed with doing some plyometric stuff afterwards and max efforts. Saw good gains all around and was happy, then after rmad in Jan I got really ill for week or so. Lost loads of progress, and really struggled in my circuits. So I started building some strength with Olympic lifts etc, got a little better. Then come march I screwed up Rmad, wasted my shins etc and didn't even improve my scores they just got worse.

Had to drop the circuits now as they was killing my shins and they wasn't really containing what I needed to do. My current routine now is as follows.

Monday

Dead lifts
squats
Bench press
Followed by sets of max effort, press ups, sit ups and tri dips.
Rowing intervals

Tuesday

A circuit session of mainly RM stuff, followed by cycling and rowing.

Wednesday
Squats
Bent Rows
Shoulder press.

Followed by sets of max effort, press ups, sit ups, tri dips and pull ups. Aiming for 100 total, with the least amount of sets.

Thursday same as Tuesday and Friday the same as Monday then weekend rest.

I really need some solid help, and every time I look there's just so much advice and so many things on the net It's just getting way to confusing. I was going to just cut the crap and follow the new RM tool. But I have seen some great gains in dead lifts and weighted squats, what was my weaker spots and It keeps getting better so I don't want to cut them. I can't run at the moment ether. I just don't know what else to do, I don't have any more knowledge to help my self with. And my careers office is not great at the moment. There's not even an RM there any more and the people there don't know this kind of stuff.

Sorry for the long post I'm just getting frustrated and need to talk. Trying to stay positive, but at the same thinking if am struggling progressing here then I'm fubared for RT.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Chances are you're overtraining. Honestly, it may annoy you to hear it but drop the weights for a bit. You can always return to them but experiment for 4 weeks without them and make a plan based around the below criteria.

4 runs a week: PRMC-style 3-miler, flat/road sprints sessions, longer run, hill sprints session.

3 bodyweight circuits a week: follow RM advice with 8 exercises, 3 sets, reps should be high enough that you feel a proper burn at the end of each set.

1 maximum RM test per week: do the 3-miler this day, plus the other 3 main tested criteria to the best of your ability.

Other than that, rest. DO NOT TRAIN. Let your body heal and develop the way it wants to. Eat right - lots of carbs on training days, slightly less carbs on rest days, high protein every day, green veg every day.
It will feel wrong to drop the intensity of your training but ironically you will almost-certainly make fitness gains. Our bodies develop in rest, training is just the way to initiate this development.

If you don't see positive fitness results in 4 weeks time, then bump this thread and we'll look at where to take it from here.

S

stokey_14

Chances are you're overtraining. Honestly, it may annoy you to hear it but drop the weights for a bit. You can always return to them but experiment for 4 weeks without them and make a plan based around the below criteria.

4 runs a week: PRMC-style 3-miler, flat/road sprints sessions, longer run, hill sprints session.

3 bodyweight circuits a week: follow RM advice with 8 exercises, 3 sets, reps should be high enough that you feel a proper burn at the end of each set.

1 maximum RM test per week: do the 3-miler this day, plus the other 3 main tested criteria to the best of your ability.

Other than that, rest. DO NOT TRAIN. Let your body heal and develop the way it wants to. Eat right - lots of carbs on training days, slightly less carbs on rest days, high protein every day, green veg every day.
It will feel wrong to drop the intensity of your training but ironically you will almost-certainly make fitness gains. Our bodies develop in rest, training is just the way to initiate this development.

If you don't see positive fitness results in 4 weeks time, then bump this thread and we'll look at where to take it from here.

aaaa sorry but the chances are he isn?t overtraining. I?ve said it before, overtraining in the truest sense is very hard to achieve and it tends only to be the elite who do, intermediate level athletes training alone very rarely mange it.

He could be over-reaching which is different and yes a short lower intensity period could be just what is needed. 4 weeks however is too long. One week would be max in my opinion. Within 4 weeks he would have got significantly weaker.

However I don?t think anyone can really guess this over the internet especially with out knowing his work capacity, previous training, diet, sleep pattern, recovery drills etc

Hitting a road block in training is something that happens to all of us be it for maximal strength, strength endurance, weight loss etc it?s the body getting used to what we?re putting it through.

They say a change is as good as a rest so switch it up, change the intensity, volume or frequency of your training (only one at a time as to much change can over stress the body causing the over-reaching I talked about above) and stick at it, consistency is key!

Also asses your diet and recovery plan. Are you foam rolling? Sleeping enough? Eating the right foods? And if mobility in the shoulder is bothering you should get on some shoulder mobility drills (Google and have a read about this) to sort that issue out.

So whilst I?m not saying don?t have a rest I don?t think you need to be to drastic with it. Couple of days full rest followed buy 2-3 lighter days may help, certainly wont hurt, then come back hard and strong and smash through your Plateau.

Stokey

Anon.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with what stokey said in terms of having a few light days and assessing your training, diet and recovery. Everyone needs to have a few light days training every now and then to let the body recover appropriately.

I personally train hard for 4 weeks solid, then on the fifth week I train at a much lower intensity to allow for full recovery, then by the sixth week I will be seeing massive improvements and will be able to progress.

So as stokey said, take a few light days of training. But after this I do think your training programme needs some serious work if you want to see any improvement in the criteria tests for the Marines.

It's all well and good cycling and rowing, but that's no where near enough. Running is essential, and there seem to be far too many weights sessions and not enough body weight sessions. Believe me after nearly 2 years of weight training I know its hard to come off the weights after seeing massive improvements in strength and physique, but stopping weights altogether was definitely the best decision training wise I have ever made, I may not be able to bench press 100kg anymore but without cutting out so many weights sessions I would have never been able to achieve the stats below. To pass selection you have to train more like an endurance athlete rather than a bodybuilder.

All the criteria tests are based around endurance and muscular endurance; so I would strongly recommend the following:

Running - 3 times per week minimum. 1 Session a long run 6-10 miles, 1 session a 3 miler and 1 session sprint intervals/hill sprints.

Bodyweight Circuits - From what I've read you've only tried to improve your push-up scores, by doing push-ups. If you have one station for push-ups in a bodyweight circuit but throw in other stations such as tricep dips and chest flys, I guarantee you will see results in your maximum push-up score. It's the same with sit ups, there are so many different exercises you can do to work the abs so use all these different exercises as well as just sit ups, mix it up as much as you can to shock the body and avoid tedious training.

I've read that you don't want to cut out some weight exercises such as deadlifts and weighted squats, I can't blame you these exercises are massively beneficial to your overall core, leg and back strength, I used to suffer with a bad back from work and after training with deadlifts I've never experienced the problem again, but these exercises are still bodybuilders exercises when done with heavier weights, there are endurance substitutes which provide the same benefits. For example deadlifts, if you swap a set of 10 heavy weighted deadlifts for a set of 60 light/no weighted dorsal raises you will experience the same benefits such as improved posture and less risk of lower back pain when running. But your lower back will be trained more in the sense of muscular endurance, this is what you want.

The same goes for Squats, I would highly recommend throwing in a weighted squats session prior to entering RT or something, but if you are still training for PRMC I would ditch the heavy weights, for example in terms of increasing your running times, or bleep test score or just overall leg endurance for things such as the endurance course, then 50+ light weight or no weight squats will be much more beneficial, I would also recommend a large number of unweighted calf raises, really beneficial since I started doing them I've experienced no shin pain at all when running.

Sorry for the massively long post!

All the best,
Dale.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Change your training to plyometric training. I have since last week and already seen good increase's in all my upperbody and general fitness. I swear by it, personally its the best form of training for me i think. Give it a go.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well dropped the BS. purely only circuits, and cardio, I'm starting to bust that Plateau. What I have done is lower the volume and mixed up my rest days around the same style as the RM fitness tool.

What I'm doing is sticking with 9 so 3 upper body, 3 core, 3 legs, and mixing it up with some weights and trx. Things like Dumb Bell rows, shoulder presses, dead lifts etc. And various cardio afterwards, rowing, cross training, cycling etc as I'm still sorting my shins.

Got my week going like this

Monday I do a fast intense circuit session the 9 exercises, but hard fast for time max effort.

Tuesday I drop the intensity, do what I'd call conditioning, following the RM tool and exercises mixed with TRX etc nice and relaxed.

Wednesday rest.

Thursday as Monday and Friday as Tuesday, Saturday rest and Sunday Test day and some Cardio.

I found that 24/7 intensity was just not letting me recover, and that mixing it up with different exercises every session is keeping it fresh and working pretty well.

I was bored earlier so I did a test day and these are my scores so far, Interesting as sit ups and press ups are about 6-7 higher than Sunday, and my pull ups are 3 up. I'm putting it to rest and the fact I have pigged out all week as I laid off Tuesday and had an extra rest yesterday due starting to feel a little under but feel much stronger for the extra day rest and the lower intensity day.

So about 4 weeks in into the new routine, test scores I taken from the start of the new routine vs

40-----51 Press ups
52-----60 Sit ups
06---- 09 Pull ups

Edit......

Forgot to add my pull ups seemed to go no where, so the last two weeks I have been doing what I can 3 sets unaided. And then getting the misses to lift my legs for another three sets of max(stolen the trick from another guy in the gym). I was sick of finding it impossible to improve and now I'm hitting 9.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
have you ever thought about trying pilates? I know its seen as a womans workout but honestly if your struggling with flexability it might be worth a look, *text deleted** got a couple of dvds at home and it increased my core strength a hell of a lot.
and yeah just have some rest like the other guys have said. a powerlifting book I read for those that have hit the wall started 'take 2 weeks of complete rest' before training again, and that seems applicable to most kinds of training

rab1

Reaction score
I found a good way of breaking plateaus was the very simple way go to what weights, times, etc your really comforatable with then simply added 5kg a month on the weights. 2 extra press ups a week could be added pull ups maybe only one or 2 a month extra but if you have say 6 months till your prmc your numbers will be hugely improved and its a good simple method mate.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd just update here, another thanks for the advise from here, mixing it with the RM tool is doing wonders.
I'm now into the 5th week of drama free running and pushing for best efforts again, less is more so to speak. Been taking it easy, I'm running maximum 3 Times a week at the moment gentle 1.5 mile, 1.5s best effort return and sprints on the grass. Building up, slow the new insoles, lots of foam rolling, stretching, Icing and heat has let me manage any calf/shin pains, to a point It's only a slight niggle at the end of the week and it is becoming less noticeable as I progress. Going up to the 2 mile gentle run this week, with best effort and sprints.

Pulled my PB for years for the 1.5 today, far away from most but an achievement for me 10.12. My times have been coming down pretty consistently over 5 weeks so will see even better times soon.

Stats as they stand this week.
Press Ups 57
Sit ups 69
Pull Ups 10 took me weeks to get up from 9
1.5 mile return 10 min 12 sec.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For the Press ups why not mix and match combinations

For example.

3 x 20 RM Push ups
3 x 20 Diamond Push ups
3 x 20 Wide arm Push ups

Worth a try, will work all areas of your chest, shoulders and tri's.