Hobbies & Sports

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
What do you guys do with your spare time.

My week goes like this:

Monday night: Ninjutsu
Tuesday night: Table Tennis (I play in the local town Leagues & coach teenagers)
Wednesday night: Ninjutsu
Thursday night: Gym - 1 Hour Body Pump followed by 1 hour circuit training.
Friday night: Drink Beer (Usually at home, but sometimes out with my wife)
Saturday night: Drink Beer (As Above)
Sunday: Gym - 1 Hour

A full week I know, but my sons also play Table Tennis and train in Ninjutsu with me and my wife likes to keep herself fit too.

I do read a fair bit as well and also spend as much time with my family as possible.

I've never been a tele addict or a couch potatoe, which isn't a bad thing I guess. Also, my training changes every now and again when I take up a new interest or change my routine so I don't get too used to doing the same things all the time.

So what do you do with your spare time, including your training days?

Cheers

Steve

Tommy

Reaction score
Alright Steve.

Mondays- I go running in the morning, then do some upper body training. I go to work at 2:30-6:30 Mondays to Fridays. I then have circuit training at 7:00 for an hour.
Tuesdays- I have a rest day and delve into the Royal Marines history.
Wednesday- I go running in the morning, then do my upper body training. Might do some Royal Marines history again.
Thursdays- I go running in the morning and do my upper body work. I then have circuit training at 7:00 for an hour.
Friday- Rest day and I'll do some Royal Marines history.
On Saturdays and Sundays I do some training but its not as intense as what I do in the week. I will go running on a Sunday though.

I do watch tv but not as much as I use to.
I've never been so fit. I did boxing for 3 years when I was younger but I think I'm fitter now than I was then.

My routine does change, because otherwise it would get boring.

Steve can I ask you a question please mate. I can swim fine, but I haven't really been going much for my fitness ready for my PRMC. How important is it, should I really be going?

Thanks Tom

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Swimming

A good routine Tommy mate.

I wouldn't worry too much about swimming. You do have to pass a Battle Swimming Test (BST) during basic training, but if you're a decent swimmer, you should have no problems with this.

As for your PRMC: Ninja_Stoker will be best placed to answer this.

Ninja: Are there any swimming tests on the PRMC these days?

Best Regards

Steve

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well not much most of spare time is trials riding (pushbike) sundays but of snooker thats it

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Swimming

ste preece said:
A good routine Tommy mate.

I wouldn't worry too much about swimming. You do have to pass a Battle Swimming Test (BST) during basic training, but if you're a decent swimmer, you should have no problems with this.

As for your PRMC: Ninja_Stoker will be best placed to answer this.

Ninja: Are there any swimming tests on the PRMC these days?

Best Regards

Steve
From what I have heard Steve, the swimming test consists of diving off the diving board, then swimming AROUND the pool, not just 1 lane and back.

As for hobbies, Im Canadian, Hockey all winter EH.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Hockey

Ty: Ice Hockey's a tough sport mate. I hope you still have all your teeth as I've met some guys who play the game who've lost em.

Cheers

Steve

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby union is tougher, i know someone who broke several fingers, his nose, nose and wrist then goeing on to snap a ligament all in one season.
I myself when playing blindside flanker bent my elbo so far back the cartalage started to leak. :P

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Injuries

Injuries are common in sports and they come in various shapes and sizes.

In the past few years in martial arts I've suffered the following:

Torn Neck Musles
Torn Stomach Muscles
Damaged internal Organs (Ouch)
A crushed scaphoid bone

Thankfully no broken bones, but the time I damaged my internal organs was a little worrying. The secret is being able to work around an injury and the other areas of your body without affecting the injured part. This isn't always possible but at times it is workable.

As for rugby, I used to play too and thoroughly enjoyed it. The social life was also a good part of it. However, unlike Ty's ice hockey, you don't have to dodge a puck coming at you at over 100 miles per hour!! :? :D

Cheers

Steve