Holidays etc. during RT Summer Leave

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Maybe one for Ninja, or anyone to be honest, just some advice really.

Obviously the dates for summer leave this year should be around 11 August - 02 September 2012 (not set in stone I know).

My mates want me to go to Reading Festival which falls inside these dates, and another group are considering a holiday at the same time as well.

Is it wise going away on something like that? Or would I be better just staying at home? I noticed in a couple of other threads that it was sometimes recommended but wasn't sure.

I'd obviously still be able to keep up the phys during leave, but my mates are bugging me now so I need to have some idea!

729troopRM

Reaction score
Maybe one for Ninja, or anyone to be honest, just some advice really.

Obviously the dates for summer leave this year should be around 11 August - 02 September 2012 (not set in stone I know).

My mates want me to go to Reading Festival which falls inside these dates, and another group are considering a holiday at the same time as well.

Is it wise going away on something like that? Or would I be better just staying at home? I noticed in a couple of other threads that it was sometimes recommended but wasn't sure.

I'd obviously still be able to keep up the phys during leave, but my mates are bugging me now so I need to have some idea!

When I was in training some 13 years ago, we were not allowed to leave the country during summer/xmas leave. Hope that helps!

JC19

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don't think there is a problem with booking a holiday during leave periods. However, I would be careful about what sort of holiday you go on. By experience, a week in Ayia Napa, Magaluf, Malia etc would probably not be the best idea as I would say it is very unlikely you would go out for a run whilst your mates are sat around the pool bar enjoying the local talent.

I have booked a holiday in August with my Mrs to keep her sweet. I've gone all out and gone for a 5* all inclusive jobby with gym and all that. I went away with her last year and went out running everyday just to get away from her for an hour and didn't touch a drop of alcohol all week as I couldn't have a good drinking session with her (hope she dont read this forum or I could get a good kick in! :unsure:).

So yeah go ahead and book a holiday but remember that you will be returning to RT a week later.... and get cancellation insurance just incase!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No reason not to go to a music festival or go on holiday abroad during a leave period - your training team will advise of any restrictions regarding countries to visit. The emphasis is that you must be "contactable" & able to get back at short notice.

At risk of teaching anyone to suck eggs or unfairly stereo-typing, but forewarned is fore-armed, bearing in mind mild-paranoia is advocated in this instance:

What does catch out a few is the fact that you must ensure you can get back to UK with a few days to spare (ie: Don't expect to fly-out somewhere the same day you go on leave & don't arrange to travel back home to UK the day before you travel back to CTC). Also make sure the mates you're with won't let you down or cost you your job.

We see some guys dragged-down by their civilian "mates" who don't care if they get lifted & charged/cautioned by the Police en-masse. Equally, stating the obvious, immediately after a leave period, expect to undergo a compulsory drugs test.

The byword is 'caution', but enjoy you time off, you will feel as though you've earned it.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll most likely avoid going abroad then, and probably just get myself a ticket for Reading!

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At least with a Reading ticket you can easily sell it short notice if you decide you don't want to go.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i plan on going away with the mrs, will the summer leave date be set in stone anytime soon so we can book?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The leave dates (in the stickies bit) are fairly solid, but carry the caveat "always take-out cancellation insurance just in case".

no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=43737[/url]

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The leave dates (in the stickies bit) are fairly solid, but carry the caveat "always take-out cancellation insurance just in case".

no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=43737[/url]
cheers for that ninja.

RoyalCanuck

Reaction score
If a recruit has no where to go during his leave, for instance an overseas recruit unable to fly home, can he stay at CTCRM Lympstone? Or is the whole camp emptied for those periods?

Messenger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My son was in RT last year. The day they left Lympstone for summer leave, a load of the recruit lads were en-route for a late flight that night for a week of fun in the sun they had booked the week before. They fortunately all came back in one piece and then enjoyed the remaining 2.5 weeks of summer leave.

Son did a little phys over summer when he could be bothered to get up! He's now at 45 and is loving it. He's home tomorrow for 2 weeks Easter leave :)