Holidays

JamieC

Reaction score
At some point after my PRMC and before RT I'd like to go away for a week. I fancy a bootcamp style thing, preferably abroad, but I don't really know where to look. I've had a quick look but everything I've found is aimed at women just wanting to lose weight. Anybody got any ideas or been on anything like this?

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I spent a month at a Muay Thai camp in Thailand 2 years ago. They are aimed at all people but if you tell they how serious your trainning is they will absolutely beast you. i.e. Wake you up at 5am to do a 10k run......

No previous expreince needed and it is all bodyweight, cardio and interval trainning, with 2 sessions a day 6 days a week.

http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/

On a nice island too with nice beaches so when you have a day/afternoon off its like being on a lush expensive holiday, but without the gargantuan hole in your wallet.

Baron

Reaction score
At some point after my PRMC and before RT I'd like to go away for a week. I fancy a bootcamp style thing, preferably abroad, but I don't really know where to look. I've had a quick look but everything I've found is aimed at women just wanting to lose weight. Anybody got any ideas or been on anything like this?
Why not go to DeFranco's gym? Or get out to a top CrossFit facility in The US? Of course, there wouldn't be too much point in going for just the 1 week, but if you could afford 2-3 weeks, you could get some decent training in?

JamieC

Reaction score
I spent a month at a Muay Thai camp in Thailand 2 years ago. They are aimed at all people but if you tell they how serious your trainning is they will absolutely beast you. i.e. Wake you up at 5am to do a 10k run......

No previous expreince needed and it is all bodyweight, cardio and interval trainning, with 2 sessions a day 6 days a week.

http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/

On a nice island too with nice beaches so when you have a day/afternoon off its like being on a lush expensive holiday, but without the gargantuan hole in your wallet.
That looks quite good, I'd be looking at the two week one but that doesn't look to include much fitness training. But like you said if I tell them they'll throw some more of that in?

JamieC

Reaction score
Why not go to DeFranco's gym? Or get out to a top CrossFit facility in The US? Of course, there wouldn't be too much point in going for just the 1 week, but if you could afford 2-3 weeks, you could get some decent training in?
I think Americas pushing it a bit to be honest, I doubt I'd be able to afford flights, especially when I'd only be going for a week or two. I'll look into it though, thanks :)

Baron

Reaction score
I think Americas pushing it a bit to be honest, I doubt I'd be able to afford flights, especially when I'd only be going for a week or two. I'll look into it though, thanks :)
Depends where you're going, but anything North-Easterly can be booked for around ?350-400 return depending on time of year.

S

stokey_14

Can you just drop in and train a defrancos? Doubtful as he has a roster of High school/collage athlete looking to turn pro, good number of Pros, MMA fighter etc

I have no idea and could be wrong but it doesn?t seem like a place you can just swing by for a week or so.

Would be a dream to train there but the guys going to be damn busy!

Stokey

Baron

Reaction score
Can you just drop in and train a defrancos? Doubtful as he has a roster of High school/collage athlete looking to turn pro, good number of Pros, MMA fighter etc

I have no idea and could be wrong but it doesn?t seem like a place you can just swing by for a week or so.

Would be a dream to train there but the guys going to be damn busy!

Stokey
Yeah you can, just like any other gym. Similar programming to CrossFit gyms really, you pay for a number of sessions. I doubt DeFranco would be training you, but still, his trainers will be highly knowledgeable.

S

stokey_14

Yeah you can, just like any other gym. Similar programming to CrossFit gyms really, you pay for a number of sessions. I doubt DeFranco would be training you, but still, his trainers will be highly knowledgeable.

Fair one, if I had the money something like that would be great. Though I reckon you could get a similar deal at strength and conditioning facility here in the UK. (not as glam obviously)

I?ve here a lot of good stuff about those Thai boxing camps from what I?ve read it?s about finding the right one, a lot are run as tourist traps by people with perhaps an average Thai boxing back ground. However land on with a top notch gym and the coaching would be second to non. Guess that?s the same with anything.

Stokey

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Theres an MMA Gym in my home town where Rampage Jackson trained for a couple of years. I'm yet to check it out.

I do like the look of that thailand one. Might give that a look into

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That looks quite good, I'd be looking at the two week one but that doesn't look to include much fitness training. But like you said if I tell them they'll throw some more of that in?
Yeah they are really flexible. Those are more guidelines.

Dont underestimate how much sparring will wear you out.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I?ve here a lot of good stuff about those Thai boxing camps from what I?ve read it?s about finding the right one, a lot are run as tourist traps by people with perhaps an average Thai boxing back ground. However land on with a top notch gym and the coaching would be second to non. Guess that?s the same with anything.

Stokey
You are absolutely right! And admittedly there were a lot of "tourists" at Horizon when I was there...

However, as with many training type places, if you are keen, willing to put the work in and show interest you get the best treatment. As soon as they saw I was all of these it was amazing. The coaching was awesome and always 1-to-1 if not 1-to-2 (yes 2 instructors coaching me). They have far more interest in traning someone that wants to be there rather than some fatty that was persuaded it was a good idea and thought it would be more about lying on a beach.

They have become very popular in the last few years so may well be worth anyone who is interested doing lots of research.